Modern Day Hot Rodding

StevoD

Not once in 4 pages have you actually said what YOU think a Hot Rod is, yet youve told everyone else they dont know. You clearly contradicted yourself in posts #56 and #69 but youre telling me to make my mind up and you STILL havent told us whether you consider Ian and Wassos cars to be Hot Rods, thats 4 times now.

I find it rather ironic that you have started a thread about Hot Rods, have told anyone sticking a 2p in that they dont know what they are on about and still havent actually offered any definition yourself. I think its called trolling, isnt it?

For me the spirit of Rodding is as Ive said throughout, fast, cheap and light, but youd be a fool if you dont accept a Foose car as a Rod either. It also says a lot that the major drag authority in the world is the National Hot Rod Association, and that if you talk about Hot Rods to anyone in UK stock racing they think of this:

For me the spirit of Rodding is as Ive said throughout, fast, cheap and light, but youd be a fool if you dont accept a Foose car as a Rod either. It also says a lot that the major drag authority in the world is the National Hot Rod Association, and that if you talk about Hot Rods to anyone in UK stock racing they think of this:

Would that be the same National Hot Rod Association that has a Charger drift car and a HONDA crx in its museum

Edited by StevoD

To me a hot rod is a certain style from a certain era, the fact that the practice is carried on today by shops rather than individual's matters not, the world has change also.

other modified cars hold various other names, some are also called hot rods, but to me they are not, like I said everybody will hold a different opinion, the only problem I have is when somebody tries to tell me and everybody else what my perception of a hot rod should be,

isn't that whats commonly known as a dictatorship. ;)

To me a hot rod is a certain style from a certain era, the fact that the practice is carried on today by shops rather than individual's matters not, the world has change also.

other modified cars hold various other names, some are also called hot rods, but to me they are not, like I said everybody will hold a different opinion, the only problem I have is when somebody tries to tell me and everybody else what my perception of a hot rod should be,

isn't that whats commonly known as a dictatorship. ;)

Bit of a contradiction in terms really, although in the states the term "hot rodding" something refers to making it faster and maybe chopping about, you just cant really apply it to a modern car, as it just doesn't work....a hot rod has to be a pre 40s car that had the bodywork and engine drastically altered in an attempt to make it faster, the styling bit came a little after as a offshoot,

The same applies to the term chopper when it comes to bikes, it has become synonymous with bikes with long forks and no suspension, but the origin was just the same, IE the old lardy Harley's where striped down in an effort to loose weight, and the engines tuned, giving rise to the term "chopped hog".

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Edited by StevoD

From the glass house,

Personal opinion only, I was not the one who started a thread telling people how to define a hot rod,

I also cant be bothered going back through this thread to find things that I can throw back at people in an effort to bolster my own arguments and opinions, and discredit others opinions.

Some of this thread was interesting, but now its become more of an argument about scoring points, and no longer serves any constructive purpose.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

The S13 has plenty of money thrown at tyres, suspension, ricockulous engine, brakes, wide fenders and pimping rims. Thats a track car, not a homebrew straightliner - if thats modern Hot Rodding then every single 200SX in the country is a "Hot Rod", you might agree with that, I dont. Likewise, an LS3 mated to a T56 is one of the most expensive engine swaps you can do as well, you could get the same power out of an SR20 and keep the standard gearbox.

To make the S13 into a Hot Rod Id have gone SR20/SBC, massive turbo and intercooler, weld the diff, chop the arches, remove all interior, spaceframe the front end and lexan the rear window then smash it up a drag strip and then figure out how to make it even faster. Id do all the work myself and I bet the whole thing would cost less than an LS3.

My point for the **** knows how many time ive said it, a Hot Rod isnt defined by a certain era or 'scene' its in the spirit of it

So the Foose megabuck chequebook cars arent Hot Rods then? Once again:

For me the spirit of Rodding is as Ive said throughout' date=' fast, cheap and light, but youd be a fool if you dont accept a Foose car as a Rod either.[/quote']

What is the "spirit" for you Steve?

The S13 has plenty of money thrown at tyres, suspension, ricockulous engine, brakes, wide fenders and pimping rims. Thats a track car, not a homebrew straightliner - if thats modern Hot Rodding then every single 200SX in the country is a "Hot Rod", you might agree with that, I dont. Likewise, an LS3 mated to a T56 is one of the most expensive engine swaps you can do as well, you could get the same power out of an SR20 and keep the standard gearbox.

To make the S13 into a Hot Rod Id have gone SR20/SBC, massive turbo and intercooler, weld the diff, chop the arches, remove all interior, spaceframe the front end and lexan the rear window then smash it up a drag strip and then figure out how to make it even faster. Id do all the work myself and I bet the whole thing would cost less than an LS3.

My point for the **** knows how many time ive said it, a Hot Rod isnt defined by a certain era or 'scene' its in the spirit of it

So the Foose megabuck chequebook cars arent Hot Rods then? Once again:

Find one post where i have said that? you said hotrods arnt fancy expensive builds not me

For me the spirit of Rodding is as Ive said throughout' date=' fast, cheap and light, but youd be a fool if you dont accept a Foose car as a Rod either.[/quote']

What is the "spirit" for you Steve?

Cheap cars made fast, correct me if im wrong but is that not what it was about in the 1950s

Edited by StevoD

Just to take on another debated

could you really do all the above for about $4000 as on ebay america a LS3 is about $4000, if it possible to do all of that for $4000? a quick look at Sr20DET on ebay america is about $1500-$2000

so leaves $2000-$2500 for a larger turbo intercooler, space framing etc

If you can thats awesome and be 100% as reliable and Legal ie Catalytic converters etc as an Ls3

Edited by StevoD

If you could take the original guy take him through time to now and say right build a hot rod on your budget he would be buying a cheap rwd coupe and putting a Cheap easy power v8 in it

he wouldnt not be going the scrap yard buying a 3 window bodyshell for 10k then building a car for 80k

Errrr, there?

And seeing as Im beating on the 240, brand new Brembos, KW Clubsports and LS3 swaps are not "on the cheap" - Clubsports are £1500 alone, you can buy a whole S13 for that! I struggle to think of many S13 owners in the UK that have a spec anything like that and its not just because LS3's are cheap in the states.

Skyline brakes, secondhand HSD's and an SR20 on an S13 and youre a lot closer to "the spirit" IMO, all these guys are doing is dropping sweet parts on a JDM classic.

If you could take the original guy take him through time to now and say right build a hot rod on your budget he would be buying a cheap rwd coupe and putting a Cheap easy power v8 in it

he wouldnt not be going the scrap yard buying a 3 window bodyshell for 10k then building a car for 80k

Errrr' date=' there?

And seeing as Im beating on the 240, brand new Brembos, KW Clubsports and LS3 swaps are not "on the cheap" - Clubsports are £1500 alone, you can buy a whole S13 for that! I struggle to think of many S13 owners in the UK that have a spec anything like that and its not just because LS3's are cheap in the states.

Skyline brakes, secondhand HSD's and an SR20 on an S13 and youre a lot closer to "the spirit" IMO, all these guys are doing is dropping sweet parts on a JDM classic.

[/quote']

didnt say that hot rod has to be that i said how the original ones where made

its like the difference between

IMG_0728_1wZG_3.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Both drift cars but the originals doing up in the mountains werent doing it £150k builds

in the same way the original 50s lads where doing it scrap and foose is building $200k sema cars

ive not once said what a hot rod cant be, ive said what i can be thats the difference

Just to take on another debated

could you really do all the above for about $4000 as on ebay america a LS3 is about $4000, if it possible to do all of that for $4000? a quick look at Sr20DET on ebay america is about $1500-$2000

so leaves $2000-$2500 for a larger turbo intercooler, space framing etc

If you can thats awesome and be 100% as reliable and Legal ie Catalytic converters etc as an Ls3

Now youre out of your depth, remember who you are speaking to ;)

As per my previous post, that car has trick suspension, trick brakes, brand new recaros and thats only the bits I could be arsed to watch, its got a better spec than 90% of the S13's in the UK.

On the other hand, if you want a real "modern hot rod" .......... http://www.sxoc.com/...hole&highlight=, this also won the RWD class at TOTB and cost a lot less than £4K to build. Which is what you can buy it for.

No fancy paint or bodywork, a bit tatty looking but lots of hard work on cold driveways, lots of work sourcing cheap parts and lots of ingenuity lead to a very fast car for about what your yank mates would have paid for their engine and gearbox.

Edited by docwra

Both drift cars but the originals doing up in the mountains werent doing it £150k builds

Totally missing the point, the Hachi is a perfect example of a Hot Rod - home built with one purpose in mind, the GT86's are racecars built with endless chequebooks so arent.

Totally missing the point, the Hachi is a perfect example of a Hot Rod - home built with one purpose in mind, the GT86's are racecars built with endless chequebooks so arent.

are you forgetting chip foose builds his sema car with endless chequebooks, i think your missing my point

Edited by StevoD

are you forgetting chip foose builds his sema car with endless chequebooks' date=' i think your missing my point[/size']

Its hardly the "spirit" though, youve said that yourself. And its all about the "spirit", right Steve? ;)

no i thought it was all about being in a 1940s car aslong as thats tuned and built for driving fast in straight lines on a budget, and is for drag racing aslong as it only looks like 1 type of car because it didnt matter its style but now it does and it cant look a certain way, Infact it can be built really expensive and with custom paint and wheels and interior, o wait no no it must be a light weight car thats space framed and built to a budget again, and it can only drive fast in a straight line if it handles nope not one, i cant keep up doc what is a hot rod at this minute :p

For me building a car in the spirit of an traditional hot rod would mean a big powerplant in a light chassis thats made to go fast, built for as little as possible styling isnt factor

Does this mean someone building a sema build hot rod isnt building a hot rod no its just not a traditional one

in the same way someone who builds a big mustang drift car is still building a drift car its just not traditional one doesnt stop it being a drift car but in the same way the

frs/gt86 is built & designed in the spirit of the ae86 same principles completely different styling,age,technology :teeth:

Edited by StevoD

OK, its been fun but final word from me: I think there is a Hot Rod "type" and a Hot Rod "spirit" and to be a true Rod IMO you need both. The type is generally a sit up and beg but can be anything that started off cheap but has been modified for speed and nothing else.

The spirit is doing it on the cheap, losing weight where possible (its free!) and using ingenuity and skills rather than wallet. I still think theres a fine line between a Hot Rod and a track car (the track car would be more of an all rounder for me) but its a blurred one, no doubt.

Chip Foose cars have the type but not the spirit, something like that S13 would have the spirit (if it was using S/H parts rather than top bollocks stuff) and arguably fits the "type" as well, a cheap old car made to go fast.

However, that grey V8 S13 I posted is the epitome of modern Rodding for me, and if you dont agree I dont care :p:lol:

• Like 2