Rusty bubbled stone chip on roof

H1979

Hi

After a bit of info/advice. I’ve just noticed a small rust mark on my roof that’s bubbled up slightly (didn’t notice it when I bought the car, only when cleaning for the first time) and wondered what the best course of action would be. I’m thinking rub down and spray, but would that mean a full roof re-spray (not the end of the world as it’s a small (ish) area and if so how much would you guys expect to pay for a roof spray?

Thanks in advance

If it were me, i'd just try to approach it locally ( the area in question ) rather than a roof re-spray. Besides, being the roof it'd be difficult to notice if there were a colour difference too due to the sun's shine on it. If you didn't notice it until recently with rust, I doubt anyone else will if just that part is re-sprayed.

Woah, that was quick, thanks. Sounds like good advice, I'll get it booked in for a quote, what would you expect to pay for that sort of work? Pretty annoyed that I didn't notice it before, not sure if that's because it's small or I'm just not very observant.

We're talking less than a 5p so pretty small, but because it's bubbling wanted to get it sorted asap. £80 I could live with, just don't want to be paying hundreds. Thanks again for the input and don't worry I won't quote you :)

Edited by H1979
  • Like 1

Presumably you will take it to a body shop to fix?

Just make sure they will either spot sand blast it to remove all traces of rust, and/or remove as much as possible and treat with a decent rust converter/preventer before paint, that should prevent it coming back at least for the time you own the car.

• Like 1

I had one on the roof and a body shop resprayed the whole roof for about £130 (northern price).

The thing about the roof is, you look at it every time you get in the car, so I wanted it to be spot on. However, that all went out the window when I had it wrapped :lol:

• Like 1

Thanks guys for your input. Quick update, I've been to a local bodyshop I've used before in Derby for a quote. Reason for using them previously is I had a recommendation that they were good, and they were, perfect finish, possibly better than original, but they're probably expensive, but I didn't want to risk going elsewhere as had no idea who else to use.

Anyhow, the guy said he'd have to do the whole roof to do a proper job and remove the side sills (whatever they're called) because of the stiff seal down the sides. He confirmed he'd take it back to metal and make sure no rust remained. So for that he quoted about 300, the reason I say about is because I'm having some polishing done to fix some overspray on the bonnet, wing and bumper from a previous job.

Not sure how to proceed now, I obviously want a proper job and am prepared to pay.

I have similar to you, and I too only noticed it when cleaning. It's hardly anything but it's towards the front of the roof and now I know it's there, I need to get it fixed.

I've been quoted £250 for a rub down, rust treatment and full roof re spray, so your quote is in the right ball park I think.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, so frustrating that I didn't see it before, it seems so obvious now I know about it, and like you say, just have to get it done. When you got your quote did they mention the side pieces needing to be removed?

Thanks Steve, so frustrating that I didn't see it before, it seems so obvious now I know about it, and like you say, just have to get it done. When you got your quote did they mention the side pieces needing to be removed?

I mentioned to them that the side pieces pull off, so they can spray right over the sides of the roof.

When you say pull off, what's involved in getting them off? He wasn't sure so assumed it would be an hours worth of work and I don't have a clue. Could save me some pennies if it's a quick job.

I'm sure I read on here somewhere that using a plastic panel tool type thing, you can get behind them and pop them off. I'm sure there's some holes in the bodywork that some plastic lugs push into.

Might be worth starting a new thread to confirm this, but I'm sure I didn't just dream it :)

• Like 1

Done a little googling and seems a fairly straighforward (ish) job to get the A-Pillar trim off, first pop off b-pillar trim, remove a screw under there, then remove top part of the door seal and remove about 8 screws, then it pops off. Seems like a 10 minute job so could save on labour there. Thanks again Steve, glad I did a little research, the body shop would have been taking half the interior apart.

Now, how do I tell them how to do their job without looking like a c***.

Done a little googling and seems a fairly straighforward (ish) job to get the A-Pillar trim off, first pop off b-pillar trim, remove a screw under there, then remove top part of the door seal and remove about 8 screws, then it pops off. Seems like a 10 minute job so could save on labour there. Thanks again Steve, glad I did a little research, the body shop would have been taking half the interior apart.

Now, how do I tell them how to do their job without looking like a c***.

I wouldn't worry about that last bit, when I had my roof wrapped I dropped off a copy of a guide from here and got the "I know what I'm doing mate" look, but also got a "thanks for the guide, we needed it" when I went to pick her up :teeth:

If you're just trying to be helpful, with model specific information, any one with any brains should flick through it first.