I'm confused.....

mouldie

So I have a totally standard roadster with the 296bhp engine which I love. The only thing that I'm a little disappointed with is how quiet the exhaust is. Now, I'm no boy racer and I don't plan to do any other mods but I would like a subtlety louder system. I've looked on the forum and like the sound of the cobra system but I'm confused by the terminology. Resonated/non resonated, hfc, y pipe etc. is it a performance mod and do I need to notify my insurance company. Will it mess up the fueling on the existing engine map? I prefer the idea of a full system but would I get the different exhaust note just with the silencer? I see figures around £400. Is that the system and can I just buy that and bolt it on?

Sorry for the noob questions!

Resonated is quieter and non resonated is louder, good starting point for the exhaust would be the resonated Cobra that we supply... :) The system fits in place of the OEM Middle and rear, so a like for like fit.

Always a good idea to inform your insurance company.

Let us know if we can help with the system, drop us a call tomorrow and I'll talk you through the options... :)

The standard exhaust system runs as follows:

Headers -> Cats -> Y pipe -> Mid pipe -> Silencer

Cobra system is the mid pipe and silencer, the resonated one has a mid pipe with a silencer to reduce the noise, non resonated is a straight through pipe so more noise.

Systems like the Miltek, Ark Grip, Inviia Gemini etc are Cat back systems, so include the Y pipe as well.

I personally wanted more noise, without it costing a fortune and without being too over the top for long trips. I bought the resonate cobra system from CS, it fits the bill perfectly. Not sure if the group buy is still going, otherwise I think normal price is £440, it's a bit cheaper for the louder non resonated system.

Edited by mikejbry

From a 2007 350Z as an example

3714160.gif

1 & 2 are your CATS.

4 is your "Y pipe".

6 is the centre section.

8 is the back box.

HFC is an abbreviation for "High Flow Cats". Better performance than standard Cats and in most cases still passes the MOT emissions test without issues.

Resonated & non-resonated basically just refers to a silencer being fitted or not being fitted in the centre section with the latter being the louder version.

You will not necessarily need a remap after fitting an exhaust but it is advisable to get the most out of the modifications. Always best to tell your insurance about any modifications made to the vehicle imo.

:thumbs:

If you don,t want cabin drone then don,t fit Cobra (either type )

I had one on my roadster and it sounded like one of those boy racer Subarus.

New car has the Gemini Invidia .with Cobra hfc,s Expensive system but a much more "civilised " sound with no noticeable drone up tp 3500 rpm.so cruising is better.Obviously this is my opinion....undoubtably,others will disagree.

Not necessary for other drivers to hear you coming ..just to hear you leaving them.

If you don,t want cabin drone then don,t fit Cobra (either type )

I had one on my roadster and it sounded like one of those boy racer Subarus.

New car has the Gemini Invidia .with Cobra hfc,s Expensive system but a much more "civilised " sound with no noticeable drone up tp 3500 rpm.so cruising is better.Obviously this is my opinion....undoubtably,others will disagree.

Not necessary for other drivers to hear you coming ..just to hear you leaving them.

I agree with you Roger ~ personally have no experience of the Cobra but I do with the Invidia Gemini system and it's a fantastic exhaust system .

True dual system, no drone at all and looks great. Worth every penny imo. :thumbs:

Edit: Link from a Trader on here to show what we're talking about: http://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/GB/Invidia_350Z_GEMINI_ROLLED_STAINLESS_STEEL_TIPS_CAT-BACK/HS02N3ZGIS_.aspx

Edited by GMballistic