Size for Tyres Front and Back

jessejk

Defo not.

The traction control would come on and you would not get above 25-30 mph.

As I found out when I put 245/.35 on the front and 275/40 on the rear.

Soon as I put 245/40 on front she was fine :)

The aspect needs to be the same.

Wrong completely wrong

:yawn:

Edited by 4RE Leather

Defo not.

Wrong completely wrong

I ran a 225/40/18 front and 255/35/18 rear on my lmgt4 best set up I ever ran for handling/traction control

Edited by 4RE Leather

Defo not.

Wrong completely wrong

I ran a 225/40/18 front and 255/35/18 rear on my lmgt4 best set up I ever ran for handling/traction control

So are you saying that I imagined my car not getting up the hill out of tyre city in Coulsden and they never had to reorder tyres then?

Or that the forum confirmed this?

I never knew you were there!

Edited by 4RE Leather

I think what Steve is saying is that he disagrees with you when you say the aspect ration has the be the same: I agree with him, it does not.

The aspect ratio will change dpending on what width tyres you want to run, assuming you don't want the TCS to have a hissy fit. Steve increased the stagger on his to give more understeer, and as such would've needed to reduce the ratio to compensate.

• Like 2

I think what Steve is saying is that he disagrees with you when you say the aspect ration has the be the same: I agree with him, it does not.

The aspect ratio will change dpending on what width tyres you want to run, assuming you don't want the TCS to have a hissy fit. Steve increased the stagger on his to give more understeer, and as such would've needed to reduce the ratio to compensate.

Thanks for explaining Dan.

I can understand this now you put it so informatively.

:)

Bang on

this seems the perfect thread to ask this on.

I bought the car with the stock 'factory' alloys fitted and it had maxxis 235 40 18 front & 245 40 18 rear fitted they where hard and had no grip (traction and ASM kicked in all the time, even at low speeds)

So, bought some Continentals same size (i didn't know any different). I had some tram lining for the first 1000 miles on the rears but they settled down and they run great now.

I found out on the forum this is not the standard size so why would they have been fitted like that? for looks maybe? stance? cost? the cars an 03 JDM import

Does anyone else run 235 40 18 and 245 40 18 on there zed?

I was going to wait for all four to wear out and buy the standard size tyre which i guess is the 225 45 18 / 245 45 18

Cost, I would imagine.

You'll get quite bad oversteer with that setup as you've reduced the stagger, hence the traction issues. If you think the car is quick now, just imagine how much better it'll be when you get get all the power down with the correct balance :D

I think I may be coming in after the cavalry have already swept up, but as someone who is running - til this Friday anyway - an ill advised setting of 235/40/18 at the front 255/35/18 at the rear on one of my Zeds (the explanation is contained elsewhere and is too funny to discuss) straying from the factory recommendations or the couple of other workable combinations will frustrate the life out of you with it chucking lights all the time and killing the power (unless you switch off the TCS - which having done that a few times on wet days is not to be recommended!) so, listen to Dan - he's talked the most sense on the topic of tyres whilst I've been on here.

• Like 1

ok, thats great news! and i understand why my car is behaving like a pig then around the evo triangle. It is still snatching at the brakes up front when i dive it into a corner.

I guess the Maxxis fitted where cheap options at the time and i just followed suit when i bough a full set of continentals. :wacko: because i didn't know any better.

When the front are done in, and ive been through *cough* a few rears.... i'll just have to buy a full set up of right size tyres.

Front: 225 45 18

Rear: 245 45 18

For now im in a need of a set of rears!! and wouldn't you know it i just bought a pair of part worn from ebay. 245 40 18 Michelin pilot super sports 60 quid!!

A very helpful thread this

When you've bought as many tyres as I have this year - you learn to value the words from the wise.

I think I have something above 20 tyres in my garage at the moment waiting to go on vehicles or on ebay!

Dan & I do disagree sometimes though - he doesn't approve of my taste in part worn tyres!

Which I am sure he will come along and criticise you for soon.....