Enclosed chamber for Nismo R-Tune induction kit- Whats your thoughts?

Neilp

After seeing the Stillen Airbox, I've had a little idea. I've got my car linked upto my iPhone on dash command and watched my inlet temps closely. Now while moving the air temps are excellent with very little heat soak, however when stationary the temps go through the roof, peaking over 50 degrees at some points.

Now, I know the standing temps don't really matter, however as an experiment I'm going to custom fabricate an air inlet box that will surround the filter and duct this down toward the front grille, purely as an experiment to see how much the temps will change. I'm hoping to start the project tomorrow, to get some templates together, get the metal out and start fabricating something.

Just thought I'd share this thought with you and get you guys opinions on it.

This is what the kit looks like

nismoint2.JPG

and I'm thinking of something similar to the BMC one

P1010006-3.jpg

Done similar on other turbo cars where under-bonnet temps are usually higher, but I have never found it makes more than a couple of degrees difference when stationary as everything will heat up including the enclosure. which then radiates the heat to the surrounding air of the filter, which I know is moving due to the induction, but like I said it makes very little difference,

But you will notice a difference on the move with the filter enclosed, and a outside air feed.

I'm pretty sure I could fabricate something that isn't flammable and has good insulating characteristics.. although it worth it for standing temps?

It may not be a worth while project as I'm not sure that it will make a much bigger difference over running a duct and siting it at the air inlet hole on the radiator panel, where people usually install a snout on their bumpers?

Yes its airflow that makes all the difference, I often see people posting about heat wrapping their intake pipework, but it really doesn't achieve anything once the car is at speed due to the boundary layer effect which stops heat transferring from the outside of the pipework to the airflow inside because of the air velocity, and the thin layer of static air.

After seeing the Stillen Airbox, I've had a little idea. I've got my car linked upto my iPhone on dash command and watched my inlet temps closely. Now while moving the air temps are excellent with very little heat soak, however when stationary the temps go through the roof, peaking over 50 degrees at some points.

Now, I know the standing temps don't really matter, however as an experiment I'm going to custom fabricate an air inlet box that will surround the filter and duct this down toward the front grille, purely as an experiment to see how much the temps will change. I'm hoping to start the project tomorrow, to get some templates together, get the metal out and start fabricating something.

nismoint2.JPG

P1010006-3.jpg

3cdaebdd15cfc62808779d5bc22a6581_zps2fbd88a9.jpg

Here's mine it was on the car when I bought it. Think it is a cold air induction kit which has been converted to a short ram as never seen another like it ! Always thought it could do with some sort of enclosure?

With regard to temps, this is what I did some time ago. Originally went for the K & N Typhoon but the inlet air temps were horrible (I use ScanGuage II). So, simply, I removed the K & N filter box, modified the pipe work and reinstalled the original filter box but managed to retain the lower K & N pipe and inlet. I can't remember the temp differences now as itwas over 2 years ago but it definitely improved intake temps both at idle and when driving.

photo-6.jpg

• Like 1

nismoint2.JPG

P1010006-3.jpg

3cdaebdd15cfc62808779d5bc22a6581_zps2fbd88a9.jpg

Here's mine it was on the car when I bought it. Think it is a cold air induction kit which has been converted to a short ram as never seen another like it ! Always thought it could do with some sort of enclosure?

Thats not a short ram, thats defo a genuine Nismo R Tune intake :thumbs:Somebody has fabricated a shield, not sure how much its doing or if infact making things worse?