Oil Catch Tank Install

JoKeR

I've just bought an oil catch tank and waiting for it to turn up. I need a bit of help installing it on my 2003 Zed. I've looked everywhere online but can't seem to find anything specific.

From what I have seen I believe the inlet hose comes from the pipe that goes into the lower of the front plenum. I then have to plug up the rod sticking out of the front of the lower plenum.

The outlet hose then comes from the can to the hose that originally connects to the air intake pipe. Then plug the pipe coming from the air intake pipe.

Please let me know if this is correct or if there is another way to do it that's better. My Zed is still NA and it's a UK GT.

Thanks

That's what she 'Zed' :-/

The way your thinking of fitting is a little pointless on the DE as it breaths heaviest at idle and low load because of the high vacuum from the plenum, that's why you often see a pool of oil in the lower half of the plenum when you remove it.

You need to fit a sealed catch can (airtight! one feed in and one out) to the low throttle/idle side of the PCV system, IE the left hand side of the engine, replace the pipe that goes to the front of the left hand cam cover at the one way valve, and fit a catch can between that and its vacuum source at the plenum, the can must be sealed as if not it mess with the idle and running.

The way you are thinking is also not ideal as you would be venting to air, and not making use of the engine vacuum at high loads to provide positive crankcase ventilation, and there is very little oil vapor drawn back into the engine from this side.

I wrote a guide somewhere, and I will see if I can find you a pic for fitting.

Guide for PCV systems

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/89535-oil-catch-can/#entry1349925

Edited by Tricky-Ricky
  • Like 1

5f5644fdcaf7b053eda28a3c99bd5ee3.jpg

This is the can I bought. Cheap, but from what I believed about a week ago I thought they all do the same job and didn't fancy paying £200+ for one. I imagine this is a knock off as there are spelling mistakes in the picture displayed lol.

Thanks for the reply Tricky. So the inlet hose goes from the valve at the front of the left hand (drivers side?) cam cover to the can? Then the outlet hose goes from the can to the hose that I pulled off of the one way valve?

Ensuring it's airtight as you said. Is that right or am I being really thick? Lol

I'll have a butchers when it comes mate but could I not just get filtered connectors or would that not do the same job?

Thanks again mate if you didn't comment I would have ended up fitting it how I first thought.

Sweet cheers mate I'll have a look but more than likely use the steel scourers. So I understand how it works, why it works, how to fit, and how to improve the filtering of oil. Last thing I have for you, do I need to mount the can in a place so it sits lower than the hoses (so the inlet hose would run downwards into the can) or would pressure just push the oil through the pipes fine?

There is an almost constant vacuum, so flow through the can is not a problem, mounting is not really a problem as Long as its not above the plenum, which is not really possible anyway, but if the can where to fill completely with oil and water vapor it could get drawn into the plenum...not good, so keep an eye on it and empty when it gets about half full.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring this thread back but can some one in a but shell explain the hook up procedure of a this style catch can again? One line to the actual pcv valve to can, ands then can to plenum source? Can some one possibly post a pic? Thank you in advance

5f5644fdcaf7b053eda28a3c99bd5ee3.jpg

This is the can I bought. Cheap, but from what I believed about a week ago I thought they all do the same job and didn't fancy paying £200+ for one. I imagine this is a knock off as there are spelling mistakes in the picture displayed lol.

Thanks for the reply Tricky. So the inlet hose goes from the valve at the front of the left hand (drivers side?) cam cover to the can? Then the outlet hose goes from the can to the hose that I pulled off of the one way valve?

Ensuring it's airtight as you said. Is that right or am I being really thick? Lol

'Compatible with almost car' :lol: might not work lol

• Like 1

• 6 months later...