A lot of smoke on start up and burning oil

JT1987

Hi I'm new to the site and also a new 350z owner. I recently bought a z as I have wanted one for ages from auto trader, absolutely love the car but feel that I have had my pants pulled down as I don't know a lot technically about cars. Every time the car starts a massive cloud of white smoke bellows from the exhaust and smells oily but only lasts for a maximum of 10 seconds. The only other time it smokes is if I put my foot down at the lights. I have taken it to NISTEC in Portsmouth and had an oil and filter change and also they run an engine cleaning lubricant through it. This has had no effect and after speaking to every one I can about it there have been many suggestions as to what it could be mostly saying it is my piston rings or valve seals. Does this mean a new engine as its not worth doing a re build? I was wondering if anyone has had this problem or heard of it before? Its a 03 JDM with 58000 miles(well at least that's what it says on the clock could be anything). Any help on this would be massively appreciated.

sounds like valve seals, oil is getting past the seals and dripping into the cylinder, most noticable at start up or if left ticking over (traffic lights)

to replace them you need the heads removing, the seals are cheap but a lot of labour involved, plus head gasket etc but it isn't worth doing without a compression test to make sure the bottom end is all good

• Like 2

:welcome: to the forum.

You will have to establish if you are using oil or coolant.

If coolant then probably head gasket.

If oil, then could be worn valve guides or valve stem oil seals or may be more serious, rings or pistons.

Various checks can be carried out by the informed to establish what the issue is and also the proper fix.

Also worth checking the ECV which is fitted to the R/H cam cover.

Good luck.

Alex. :)

• Like 1

Need a bit more info ...

White or Blue smoke?

Are you certainly using oil?

Are you using coolant?

Have you checked in the filler cap to see if there is white gunk?

:welcome:

Thanks for the welcome and response. It is white smoke. It is definitely burning oil as I have only had it three weeks and was nearly empty when I took it for oil and filter change. Coolant level is fine and yes I have checked the oil filler cap for white gunk I'm guessing that's to check the head gasket?

I'm guessing that's to check the head gasket?

Indeed. If the head gasket goes you can be burning oil and water. Water can also mix with the oil and create the white gunk. White smoke is normally water.

I would suggest a leak down test to find out the exact problem before spending any money.

Oh and :welcome:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to say a massive thank you to Keyser and Buster for their time last week Top guys. Unfortunately not the greatest of news as it was my piston rings in the end. Still undecided what to do but will probably be looking for a new engine in the near future. Cheers for everyone else's input, found the forum a great help. Defo recommend the Zed Shed

Mate I really feel for you. Glad you know what your up against now and hope you get it fixed ok.

Any chance of going back to the buyer and asking for some contribution towards the repair? They should have pointed this out to you.