Question about new high octane fuel available in Ireland

GC350z

Dumped this into Off Topic as it relates to Ireland and couldn’t decide what area it might go in. (Mods - move and delete first line if needed)

Anywho...

Maxol are replacing their unleaded with a 95% unleaded and 5% bioethanol mix which they claim has an average octane rating of 99.2 in all of their stations.

As we all know the Z would prefer an min of 98 octane but will run on 95. 95 is all that’s available in Ireland now. Even Shell’s vpower is rated at 95 here even though it costs substantially more.

The state “E5, which contains 5% bioethanol, can be used by drivers of standard petrol powered vehicles without modifications being required to engines while also protecting the manufacturer’s warranty.â€

The Tesco "fiasco" was only their standard unleaded. Their 99ron unleaded was fine, never withdrawn, and I've used it almost exclusively for 40k miles from new.

I'm sure someone "technical" will be along to answer your question but meanwhile, as I understand it, the ECU remaps itself to suit the fuel. If I were you I'd give it a try and see how a tankful felt....

JK

Iv tried various fuels & tried to evaluate them. (without the means of rolling roads!!) Though its only my opinion, I think that for a JDM Import like mine the higher the octane rating the better. This is because the IIRC the JDM ECU is programmed for higher octane fuel than a UK ECU. Hence why some reports suggest JDM's have approx 5 to 10 bhp more (running higher octane fuel) than UK cars. (non rev up)

After trying various fuels in my JDM zed there was'nt much differnce that I could tell. But for the last few months I have been using Tesco 99 Ron & am sold on it for my car. Apart from the fact its cheaper than other supers; it definetley makes the car feel a little more responsive in the lower gears & the biggest change is in the sound that comes from the exhaust. I am quite sure the exhasut note has become a bit louder & definetley more raspy in 1st & 2nd especially. This could be to do with richer/better fueling I believe. Anyway who cares at 95.9p its cheaper than e.g BP Ultimate etc at 102p! :teeth:

Iv tried various fuels & tried to evaluate them. (without the means of rolling roads!!) Though its only my opinion, I think that for a JDM Import like mine the higher the octane rating the better. This is because the IIRC the JDM ECU is programmed for higher octane fuel than a UK ECU. Hence why some reports suggest JDM's have approx 5 to 10 bhp more than UK cars. (non rev up)

After trying various fuels in my JDM zed there was'nt much differnce that I could tell. But for the last few months I have been using Tesco 99 Ron & am sold on it for my car. Apart from the fact its cheaper than other supers; it definetley makes the car feel a little more responsive in the lower gears & the biggest change is in the sound that comes from the exhaust. I am quite sure the exhasut note has become a bit louder & definetley more raspy in 1st & 2nd especially. This could be to do with richer/better fueling I believe. Anyway who cares at 95.9p its cheaper than e.g BP Ultimate etc at 102p! :teeth:

+1 :thumbs: I agree - not sure if the richer/better fueling is having a slightly greater impact on mpg or its me using the loud pedal more. Round my way Ultimate can be up to 10p more a litre than Tesco 99 and I reckon over a year the saving will help to pay the increased tax bill as prior to the budget, and then hearing views on the forum about the different petrols, I had stuck religously to Ultimate. Also, you get the club card points - helps the wine bill ;)

I moved over here recently and this is good news to hear! I was just talking to someone the other day about how I used to use Tesco 99 in England as it was noticeably better and now Maxol are doing something similar too!

Is it going to be used at all Maxol stations then? Will it be labelled in some way to let us know which type of unleaded it is?

Ah, thanks... I'll take a look at the pump next time I need to fill up.

Tbh, if it stays the same price, it's good value too. Tesco 99 was over a pound a litre in Southampton.

Asda at 91.9 is about the best I could find around here for standard unleaded, but 96p odd for 99 RON is a bit of a bargain imo!

EDIT: P.S. The roads are SO much better to drive on over here. In Southampton there was traffic everywhere. Now I get fun back roads on the way to my office every day! :drive1