TPMS

JJNornIron

Hi everyone!

I have had a search and couldn't find a thread on TPMS so hope this is in the correct section.

Basically, I know if you have problems with the standard TPMS sensors in the wheels you need the special tool, or a dealer to reset them.

My question is, if i change my standard wheels and put on aftermarket wheels WITHOUT swapping over the TPMS sensors, I know the light will come on and remain on. However, will it clear itself AUTOMATICALLY when I put the standard wheels back on in the correct corners?

Basically I don't want to have to go to the dealer every time I change my wheels in winter/summer!

Thanks.

I'm sure someone more with more knowledge can give a better answer, but I think you have a couple of options:

1. Live with the warning light.

2. Try to remove the TPMS fuse to get rid of the light.

3. Fit sensors to the valve stem of your new wheels / tyres so that it works with both sets.

4. Might not actually be an issue as the TPMS may only work if it detects 1 or more sensors. No sensors = no TPMS?

I have no idea how the system works though and I think TPMS is only on imported cars, so not very common in the UK. The above just seem like the most logical solutions?

Thanks!! I think I could live without the TPMS, haven't tried yet, but ill let you know how it goes! I just can't see the point in spending the £200 (amazon price) for the reset tool as the OBD2 software can't reset it!

I think the light will be annoying but thats what black electrical tape is for!!!!

Now the only choice is stay with 19' or buy 20's!!!

TPMS has been available on US spec Zs since the car was introduced in 2003. Initially the system had its own control unit with its own fuse, but in 2005 the TPMS was integrated into the Remote Keyless Entry system, so pulling the fuse disables the remote lock and unlock functions.

The answer to the OP's original question is yes, when you put the original wheels with the original sensors back in their original positions, the light will go out. When the system cannot detect one or more sensors it declares a fault and illuminates the warning light.

On US cars prior to model year 2007, individual tire pressures could be read on the trip computer. For whatever reason, Nissan deletes this function in model year 2007, an absolutely stupid move.

• 3 weeks later...

Right....so do I not have TPMS or is mine broken.

Because my rear tyre was flat enough to cause the car to "pull" under acceleration but I still got no light?

You can check if you have TPMS a couple of ways. First, look at the valve stems on the tires. If they are rubber, you don't have TPMS. If they are metal, you probably do. Second, look for the low pressure warning light to come on briefly when you first turn the ignition key on. If it doesn't come on you either don't have the system or the LED is bad.

On US spec cars the warning light should come on when any tire drops below 28 psi (1.94 bar).