Oil Temperature Gauge

roy_watson

Hi All,

I've had some issues with my 370z ( 26k miles on the clock, not been consistently hammered ) for the past few weeks.....

About a month ago the amber general engine warning light came on and as the car was due a service I killed two birds with one stone and asked the nearest high performance centre in Edinburgh to investigate the engine warning whilst carrying out the service.

The investigations didn't uncover anything of note and the mechanic suspected that the warning was probably tripped with the oil temperature being over the threshold that would trip it, so he reset the warning light, "cleaned" the oil temperature sensor and said if it cropped up again to bring it back for further investigation.

I drove home and the car seemed ok for the next few relatively long trips I made in it. A couple of days ago I was driving home from work and glanced at the temperature gauge on the dash and nearly shat a brick when I saw it had maxed out. Luckily I was close to home so finished the journey and left it for a bit to cool down.

Since then the oil temp gauge flickers about wildly ( usually maxing out after 5 minutes or so of driving ) and the acceleration has diminished drastically ( to the point of being able to put the foot down in 2nd and above without much of a kick ).

To further muddy the waters, I took it for a drive today to see how it was and the oil temp gauge has went back to normal and the acceleration is back to normal levels BUT the same amber engine warning light has now come back on. I've booked it in to be looked at again on Monday.

Has anyone experienced these kind of issues before?!?

Cheers for any advice/thoughts.

Roy

Just realised I've added this to the wrong section! :yuck:

Could a mod move this to the 370z section please?

:thumbs:

Sounds like a dodgy sender or related wirin issue to me.

When you have seen high temps did the engine smell unusally hot and did the water temp move from normal?

Well the engine is limited to certain revs at high temps. 140 degrees is 6k and 145 is 3.5k. If this is taken from your (dodgy) sensor, it could be the culprit here.

Your engine can't get like that within 5 mins of driving though. Do you have coolant in there out of curiosity.