Little help with my exhaust please

PPod

Hi,so this is the first time i have had a car like this and dont really know much about the exhaust that i currently have. So when i bought my 350z it came with a duel stainless steel exhaust with stainless cats and when he started her up the noise off it was unbeleivable and was just the perfect tone and volume (really loud) so when it picks up past 2,000 rev it makes that nice loud un describable noise and then has a small thunder noise that you can feel.

So that noise which i described as thunder was always there when i started her up and stayed with me wile she was warming up but as of today i have noticed that this noise has gone and seems way to quit when starting up. Why is this? I do notice that when i had this noise it sat at 1 and a half rev and now when i start her up shes only 500.

Sorry for the long post but i really want my noise back when its sitting still at traffic lights :(

The exhaust note will change as the exhaust system gets more coked up internally. It's especially noticeable when the exhaust is new and after you've put a few hundred/thousand miles on it.

Was the exhaust recently fitted by the old owner before you bought it do you know?

• Like 1

The exhaust note will change as the exhaust system gets more coked up internally. It's especially noticeable when the exhaust is new and after you've put a few hundred/thousand miles on it.

Was the exhaust recently fitted by the old owner before you bought it do you know?

Yes it was fitted about 2 weeks before i bought it from owner and his mate fitted ut for him.

I have noticed my left ear is getting worse for hearing haha. Yeah i live in a street were its mainly old people who stare out the window from 8 in mourning till 8 at night so now with this exhaust they all look out the window when i come back at midnight hahahah its what they get for being so nosey

So i wont get that noise back then and it will stay a little quieter? I still have the loud rasp/thunder noise when hitting the high revs in the moterway so still happy with that.

• Like 2

As others have said, a new exhaust (which yours basically is) will settle and quieten down as carbon deposits build.

As long as you've still got the thunder when needed, all is good :thumbs: Have you got any pics of the exaust, just so we can be nosey and help identify it?

That's a pretty cool looking system PPod. B)

Look's to me like an Ark or Motordyne copy. I say copy because I'm pretty sure if it was either it would be branded but still you never know it could be a legit older version. :shrug:

Does it say "Grip" on the sides of those tail pipes? ..if so then I'd imagine it's the Ark system. :D

Yeah I think its a copy cause there's no brand on it but the guy did order it from America and has receipt just need to find it. Will have a look for the grip on the sides. Had it out there and I am really gutted about that really Loud grunt, feels like a piece of me is missing (or maybe a part of the exhaust) :'(

Edited by PPod

Yeah I think its a copy cause there's no brand on it but the guy did order it from America and has receipt just need to find it. Will have a look for the grip on the sides. Had it out there and I am really gutted about that really Loud grunt, feels like a piece of me is missing (or maybe a part of the exhaust) :'(

Have you got De-CAT's of HFC's (High Flow CAT's) with your exhaust system?

If not that would definitely bring back some more noise if that's what you're after. ;)

Sorry a have no clue lol how do I go about checking this?

If you look underneath the car and follow the exhaust system from the back towards the front, ...where the exhaust pipes go upwards towards the engine is where the CAT's are situated. Usually with an 02 sensor plugged into each side.

Some info in this thread from post n#32 onward's about the different types of CAT's. If they are standard they'll have large heat shields around them and just be mild steel so should be an easy spot. ;)

Link: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/89316-identify-my-exhaust-finally-got-some-decent-pictures/#entry1338716

• Like 1