Getting a wheel off

nixy

yep, posting again on behalf of my flippin' son!

Puncture on Astra and he's lost the 'tool' that gets his aftermarket alloys off. He says it's not a locking wheel nut it's some sort of tool. I haven't got a clue what he's talking about but as he's lost it how can he get the wheel off?

Phoned our local tyre firm and they were no use at all - just said "we need the tool".

I should just leave him to it but as you can guess I am going to become his work taxi until he sorts it out. I am already having to drop him off at work for 7am tomorrow as he's on an early shift at the prison! I'll be at my job for 7.30! :scare:

Tool/locking wheel nut remover - all the same thing really.

There are various methods of doing this, if you are in the AA, or know of a friendly AA man they have the tool made by these guys: http://www.lockingwheelnutremover.co.uk/

This is excelent - got the locking wheel nuts off my Z in a flash, no damage to the wheels or nuts (unlike the first one that I took off myself)

Faling that, you can get reverse threaded sockets (these are carried by the RAC), which can be bought from screwfix or the like, they will damage or destroy the locking nut in the process, and are likely to damage/scratch the wheel too.

Failing that, they could be chissled off, but if its a wheel bolt and not a nut, then you'll need a stud remover - and probably a weekend in the garage with a hammer and chisel, and this will almost certainly damage the wheel, and or bearing.

Another option is to contact the manufacturer of the locking wheel nuts and ask for a replacement tool, but you may need to provide evidence that you own the nuts in question that are to be removed - for obvious reasons. You will no doubt be waiting a while too.

If you can find someone who has the tool in the link I posted then that is your best bet, very fast, and no damage to most nuts (though if the tool os lost, you may as well remove all 4 locking nuts and get a new set anyway)

its not the extended socket to get the wheel nuts off nixy? or is it just the locking wheel nut

If it is the locking wheel nut then you need the tool that chris is refering to which all AA vans carry and according to chris the RAC. Defo was the AA in the past though

Can you get a photo of the nuts/bolts in question? If it is just the standard tool that comes with the nuts (some slimline nuts use their own tools) then your best bet is to either contact the manufacturer direct or for a quicker solution, find a local dealer that has the wheels in stock and pop down there. Lace their palm with a tenner and they should be happy enough to give you a new one as they will get them for free or a maximum of about £2-£3 from the manufacturer.

If it is a locking wheel nut then agree with the above! Halfords also used to do a tool but they are not cheap - c~£25.

If it is not the locking wheel nut , it will just be the socket to remove the nuts?

(They come with the car jack and sometimes acts as a jack handle to lift the car? )

If it is only this, then you just need the right socket (a deep/long one is best) and a decent leverage wrench/spanner jobby and you can get the wheelnuts off...

or maybe i got the wrong end of the stick ...

its not the extended socket to get the wheel nuts off nixy? or is it just the locking wheel nut

If it is the locking wheel nut then you need the tool that chris is refering to which all AA vans carry and according to chris the RAC. Defo was the AA in the past though

Just to clarify, the AA have the tool I linked to, and the RAC have the reverse threaded sockets which will chew up the nut and likely scratch the wheel around it.

Right I've had a look. They are NOT locking wheel nuts but very strange nuts that a normal wheel brace won't fit on. They are hollow with groves on the inner edge. I've taken a pic and will post it in a min when I've hosted it on photobucket.

No, the DC2 is not correct, thats similar to the locking nuts we have on the Z.

A tight fitting torx or square may do it, but it may round it off if the nuts are tight. Then there is trouble ahead if that happens.

I would think a garage may have the tools to take those off, but its getting it to the garage.

If you are in the AA, then they have the tool to get it off, and the puncture can be used as an excuse to call them out - but if you can find a frinedly one, they may help a damsel in distress out of the kindness of their heart.

I know he's my son and all that but I am not sitting in that chaved up piece of junk pretending I have got a puncture! He has break down cover so if he pumps it with air and goes up the road a mile he could ring them and see what they can do.

I know he's my son and all that but I am not sitting in that chaved up piece of junk pretending I have got a puncture!

:lol: Yes - with you there all the way Nixy. :clap:

Kids these days get too much done for them - let him work out the problem himself.

He has break down cover so if he pumps it with air and goes up the road a mile he could ring them and see what they can do.

Best idea by far. May mean an hour or two waiting, but as long as the situation is explained fully that a tool will be needed to remove the wheel then they should arrive equiped.

Worst case scenario it turns up back at home on a truck and its back to square one, but worth a try!

Could be your lucky day!!! I believe I have the tool you are after....not 100% but I am more than happy to post it up to so you can try it. Can post it to you tomorrow morning so you get it for Thursday if that's any help??

If you want to give it a try, PM me your addy and i'll get it out to you.