I'm not blowing off!

OllyB

Hi all, after Pete's recent thread about how dirty his filter was I thought it best I have a look and clean mine, I've got the same set up.... Anyway filter out and cleaned, it wasn't that dirty but hey it can't hurt.

Whilst the filter is drying I thought I'd have a look at something that has been bugging me for ages, when I'm off gas at low revs I get a chuffing sound from the intake, now I've always assumed this was the blow off valve recirking air but the plumb back pipe looked a little kinked and I thought this might be restricting airflow enough to stop the valve passing all the air. Took the bov pipe off and there was some white dust which I thought odd, kept stripping bits of until I had the bov in my hand and it looks like the piston has corroded and jammed in the shut position. I've dismantled the bov and taken the spring out.

Am I right in thinking the piston should now just push out and be fairly free? Its not....

Its a turbosmart plumb back bov.

And advice would be good....

Edited by OllyB

Fair comment, I like a challenge tho, its only corroded, nothings broken so it will come out, just needs some gentle persuasion. And if all else fails an new one..... Kinda like to get it sorted today as well....

Hello Olly,

We have a good connection with the Turbosmart guys as we both attend shows etc with DBA/Xtreme with them both being Australian brands.

It could be that the piston has seized or just needs a strip and a clean after speaking to John at TS he recommends that they do this so may not be throw it in the bin time. Which type is it, the Kompact version? Or the larger plumb?

If it was beyond repair we could do a good deal on a replacement.

Let me know if you need help with this.

Hello Olly,

We have a good connection with the Turbosmart guys as we both attend shows etc with DBA/Xtreme with them both being Australian brands.

It could be that the piston has seized or just needs a strip and a clean after speaking to John at TS he recommends that they do this so may not be throw it in the bin time. Which type is it, the Kompact version? Or the larger plumb?

If it was beyond repair we could do a good deal on a replacement.

Let me know if you need help with this.

Its a 38mm plumb back.

• 2 months later...

Mine had some white chalky stuff when I 1st took it off back last year.

That's when I found out that the spring was cut in half and the rubber o ring was chuffed over and stopping the piston from working properly.

Anyway as you know I just bought a duel port so I can get some whoosh.

I still retain the plumb back, but I also get atmospheric so it makes a fantastic sound.

Jezz thought there may be drivability issues but thus far non whatsoever.

The ITG Maxadon air filter and the new BOV or BPV whatever works fantastic and the car has never been so "Alive"

I may blank off the plumb back altogether just to see what happens with both ports dumping into the atmosphere.

Whilst we are on the subject of GTM I noticed my supercharger oil tank very low!

I don't have any leaks so I topped it up with some I had left.

I just went on-line to hunt down some more fluid as according to Rotrex it should be changed every 20k.

But wanted some for top up.

On the bottle it has Castrol Rotrex SX100.

Well I could not find any in UK.

So I went hunting worldwide and found out it's been superseded by Rotrex SX150 PART NUMBER 1LTPUEVR68S

Sit down when you look up the price. £111.60 is the cheapest going up to £140.

Ebay UK is £114 plus postage!

I am shocked !!!