Exhaust Cleaning (HKS Replica)

Matt_182

As many of you know the HKS replica exhausts are known for tarnishing easily in the bad weather due to the poor metal quality. Mines looking worse for wear and I'm hoping to bring some life back into it but not sure where to start? Usually I'd use Brasso or another type of metal polish and that would be sufficient however I think I need more drastic action on this!

I was thinking of maybe wet sanding the metal or using wirewool to really breakdown the top layer of crap and then trying to polish? I really like the exhaust so anything to make it look a bit better would help!

I only ever do the tips but when I do use the Britemax Metal Twins. Not sure what your exhaust is made of, so you might want to check that before splashing any cash :)

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=152466

http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/shop/britemax-metal-twins-metal-cleaner-polish-and-sealant.html

Get a load of rags and a dose of WD40 and give it a good wipe down. Then you will be able to see what needs doing.

Then probably '0000' wire wool and Meg All Metal. Or your polish of choice. AutoSol is a little more abrasive than Megs I think.

Looks like you have some oxidation on there. Give the whole thing a clean and then grab yourself some tin foil. Rub it into the oxidised areas using water to lubricate, you don't need to rub hard as it's a chemical reaction taking place, not abrasion. You can then follow up with a traditional polish. Prepare to be amazed.

Looks like you have some oxidation on there. Give the whole thing a clean and then grab yourself some tin foil. Rub it into the oxidised areas using water to lubricate, you don't need to rub hard as it's a chemical reaction taking place, not abrasion. You can then follow up with a traditional polish. Prepare to be amazed.

This is very interesting. Does kitchen aluminium foil work too, or just tin based?

This is very interesting. Does kitchen aluminium foil work too, or just tin based?

Yes, it does - It's actually aluminium foil you need, I'm not sure I've ever actually seen tin foil before?!

The aluminium is softer than steel, so it will not scratch the surface, it's non abrasive. Rust is metal that has taken on extra oxygen atoms (oxidation) and the aluminium leeches the oxygen atoms away from the rust, breaking it down.

A by product of this is also a fine metal polishing compound consisting of the resultant aluminium oxide mixed with the water you're using to lubricate.

I've used this many times, it's cheap and awesome!

Edited by ts743
  • Like 1

Yes, it does - It's actually aluminium foil you need, I'm not sure I've ever actually seen tin foil before?!

The aluminium is softer than steel, so it will not scratch the surface, it's non abrasive. Rust is metal that has taken on extra oxygen atoms (oxidation) and the aluminium leeches the oxygen atoms away from the rust, breaking it down.

A by product of this is also a fine metal polishing compound consisting of the resultant aluminium oxide mixed with the water you're using to lubricate.

I've used this many times, it's cheap and awesome!

I love this place. Always something new to learn :) thanks ts.

Check out this vid on the same theme, but with a magical ingredient...

Progress so far after using foil (and water as I didn't have coke), 1000 wire wool and autosol. I didn't spend ages, maybe 20 mins and was pleased with the results so far.

I need to get the car on a driveway and jacked up next weekend and start on stage 2!

266FD9E0-5508-48E5-A46D-F1584F3C997E_zpsklzkhauf.jpg

64849675-F159-45B4-A81F-F095CDD0C35E_zps1rsvrsvm.jpg