Smart ForFour Brabus as a daily?

Stutopia

Anyone driven one of these? They look pokey (0-60 under 7 seconds), reasonably economical if not thrashed and relatively practical; weighing less than a wet microfibre towel, I'd expect them to be fun in the bends too.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201406295396710/sort/atcustom/make/smart/keywords/brabus/postcode/fy14qs/radius/1500/advert-type/Classified/model/forfour/usedcars/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/page/1/quicksearch/true?logcode=p

Surprised at the price tbh. I'd rather one of those bike engined versions though if I was going to buy one of them.

Link:

That's insane GM, great find. It was actually the four seater I was thinking of, but I love that vid :thumbs:

I had a Forfour for a few years as a daily driver, super reliable because its all Mitsubishi based clocked up 100k miles with no problems in it...actually loved driving it. The Brabus is a bit more fragile though and a lot of the parts are different, if they are ragged all the time and not looked after they become a bit unreliable...but I would have one as a daily again..

• Like 1

If you find one other known issues are clutch can wear quickly (the Brabus does has tougher friction linings on the plate though), gearboxes, headgaskets..don't get one with any mods..and check the wheels, they are as soft as cheese and bend really easily. Other than that great handling well equipped small car. :)

They're basically the same as a Colt CZ-T underneath, uses the same 4G15T engine & running gear (only difference is the map, Mitsubishi dropped it to 147bhp for the CZ-T).

I ran 250bhp through one for 2 years & 35k miles, OEM engine, box, clutch, everything was all fine. 100% reliable motor which took a hell a lot of abuse on a daily basis.

A re-map sees them get 50+mpg easily too. 60's on motorways isn't unheard of either.

Endless help on the CZTOC forum / facebook too :thumbs:

Thanks for the input fellas, the more I read the more I like about them. My checklist so far:

FSH, including the inbetween oil changes

not round wheels

sticking gear selector

cracked exhasut manifold

leaking rear shocks

headgasket

I'mm considering getting a runabout for work next year when I plan on moving house. I currently live close to work but will be further away next year and will maybe look for a car to go to work in. Never even thought about these until now, and they look like quite a good choice. I'd go for it Stu. They sound even better with a remap, so should be cheapish to run yet still be pretty fun to drive.

Worst thing (no... second worst) I ever did was to sell my black Brabus forfour.

A total pocket rocket that with a re-map turned it into a blistering all round performer that could scare the bejeezus out of some seriously quick cars.

David.

• Like 1

Not got the Brabus, but honestly I luvs me little 82PS Roadster, just have to take em for what they are, not going to beat anybody with that little squirt 698cc two stroke coupled with that little squirrel turbo but so much fun trying :yahoo: The roof rolls back and it's even got heated leather and air con. Once you master the paddles it's great. Must admit though did my 60 mile round commute in it the other day and they had to pour me out of the drivers seat, not very dignified having to crawl out on your hands and knees but what the hell :lol: Gives the neighbours a laugh.

• Like 1