Bad vibration over 70mph

Dave2008350z

Hi all,

I've had my 2008 350z since January. It's always had a bad vibration at over 70mph. The whole car vibrates. It becomes more noticeable if I let off the power. It feels to be coming from the front end but I'm not 100%. The gear stick wobbles like crazy. It still vibrates if I take the car out of gear and disengage the clutch.

It's only done 27k miles. It has full dealer warranty. I had the banana arm knocking problem so they replaced that under warranty and said it would cure the vibration. It didn't.

I've had new tyres and balancing on the front. I had the tracking done at the same time. Problem still exists.

I don't trust the dealer to find the problem and I'm close to getting shut of my dream car. Any pointers?

Cheers in advance.

Dave

Do you get any noise like a wheel bearing?

When mine went it started vibrating however it sounds more severe in your case.

Get it up on a ramp and spin the wheels, see if you can see or hear anything

Could be something like a bent drive shaft?

Wont be able to swap the wheels as there is a protruding bolt to stop you putting them on wrong.

It can be removed but I don't know if you will have issues with caliper clearance etc

Wont be able to swap the wheels as there is a protruding bolt to stop you putting them on wrong.

It can be removed but I don't know if you will have issues with caliper clearance etc

Yeah sorry my mistake...I wasnt thinking straight, thinking of ordinary cars with 4 identical wheels :doh::blush:

Edited by 350zedd

I'll start with getting the rears re-balanced. As Hooch said, I'm not sure the fronts and rears are swappable as the tyres are different sizes.

I'm not a mechanic by any means but I reckon I've eliminated the drive shaft as I still get vibrations with the clutch disengaged?

If your wheels are balanced ok. Can sometimes be if one of your alloy wheels are buckled or rear

Wheels out of balance. Normally if it's front balancing it vibrates through the steering wheel. Normally buckled wheels or rear wheels out of balance it shakes the car & can feel it through the seat.

Edited by Sarahhp18

I was thinking duel mass flywheel.

If your wheels are balanced ok. Can sometimes be if one of your alloy wheels are buckled or rear

Wheels out of balance. Normally if it's front balancing it vibrates through the steering wheel. Normally buckled wheels or rear wheels out of balance it shakes the car & can feel it through the seat.

Check the front wheels are round there may be a bent rim. It will still balance up but will patter because its not round.

Get them on wheel balancer but look at the inside edge of the rim as it is spinning.

Cheers for the ideas. I hope to f..k that it's not the flywheel!

All the wheels are in great condition apart from one of the back ones which isn't bent on the outside but is tarnished to hell on the inner. I thought that was odd as all the other wheels are immaculate. Guess I'll have to take it off and have a look.

I'm a mechanic . If the gear stick is all over the place it means the engine and box is shaking about .the duel mass is probably the culprit.

I thought normally if it's the duel mass flywheel it shakes intermittently when on idle. If it only happens at 70mph would say balancing/wheels are main culprit ??

• Like 1

I'm a mechanic . If the gear stick is all over the place it means the engine and box is shaking about .the duel mass is probably the culprit.

I thought normally if it's the duel mass flywheel it shakes intermittently when on idle. If it only happens at 70mph would say balancing/wheels are main culprit ??

Really depends on how far gone it is .shaking on idle means it's absolutely knackered.

It's absolutely fine at idle. Only dodgy above 70. Gonna get rear wheels balanced up. If that doesn't sort it then it's back to the dealer.

Really depends on how far gone it is .shaking on idle means it's absolutely knackered.

It's absolutely fine at idle. Only dodgy above 70. Gonna get rear wheels balanced up. If that doesn't sort it then it's back to the dealer.

Rear wheel balancing should fix it hopefully, fingers crossed for ya.

• Like 1

Rear wheel balancing should fix it hopefully, fingers crossed for ya.

Cheers Sarah! Not giving up on my beautiful Z just yet!

• Like 1

I was thinking duel mass flywheel.

That's fighting talk, that is!

I'm hoping the balance fixes it but I wouldn't hold my breath to find out

If it's the flywheel then that's covered under warranty. Diagnosing it might be a problem for a dealer!