Headlight restored!!

veeg33

Been reading the forum on best headlight restorer and decided to give it a go with Meguiar's G1900UK Headlight Restoration Kit

Brought it from Amazon.co.uk for around £17 delivered and also brought myself a Argos value cordless drill fro £14.99.

Here's a picture before

DSC_0184_zps85ddd101.jpg

Here's the result after 2 rounds of buffing with the restoration compound.

DSC_0186_zps81b5aaab.jpg

Buffing is around 3 minutes on each headlight. The cordless drill that I'm using is pretty low speed and does the job. Need to be careful if you are using a more powerful cordless drill as it might damage your headlight.....Always on low speed.......

After the buff, its pretty good. Most of the shine is restored but not 100%. Still some scratches around.

I did not use the sanding block provided as I'm not sure how long will it last if I sand it down before I buff with the compound hence I've only used the the buff wool and compound only. Any one tried sanding it down as well? Hope to get some advise before sanding it down.

I've also read that after sanding and buffing, use the surface sealant (glass sealant) of UV Inhibitor/coating will make it shine and almost new. Again, anyone has experience on this? How long will it last before I need to repeat the process again?

• Like 1

Looks much better. ;)

Was just talking about this earlier with another member ~ I've used the same kit as you. I decided at first to do it like you have using just the polish & mop. The results where good but I wanted better.

I used the sanding blocks and the results where much better. If you do give it a try my advice is to read the Meguairs instructions carefully & follow them to the letter. Use plenty of water and make sure you are using the grades in the correct order. E.g. Roughest to finest.

Once I had used the sanding blocks I then went back and used the mop & polish again. After doing this I then used Turtle wax synthetic paste polish to give it some UV protection. So far, 3 weeks later and they both still look as good as the day I did them. :thumbs:

I'm going to use the Megs plastic rx over the wk end as my drivers lens is showing a bit of oxidation.

You got the same kit then? with the sanding pads too?

Definitely worth doing ~ has worked so much better than other products I've tried and wasted money/time on. ;)

I'm going to use the Megs plastic rx over the wk end as my drivers lens is showing a bit of oxidation.

You got the same kit then? with the sanding pads too?

Definitely worth doing ~ has worked so much better than other products I've tried and wasted money/time on. ;)

Yep great minds think alike ;)

• Like 1

I'm going to try get hold of the Turtle wax synthetic paste polish before I perform a Mr Miyagi on these headlights........up and down.....side by side......up and down.....side by side......wax on......wax off.........

• Like 1

Defo worth it mate. Looks great after restored. Will go a step further once the Turtle Wax Ice Synthetic paste arrive.

Fyi ~ get some masking tape on around the headlights to protect the paint (on the bumper & wing) when you use the sanding pads.

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-3434-19mm-x-50m-Scotch-Blue-Car-Masking-Tape-1-Roll-Detailing-Bodyshops-/230968676105?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item35c6ce4f09

Sure you've thought of that but just thought I'd mention it. :thumbs:

• Like 1