Think a Veyron accelerates fast?

Peak 370

I just put the phone down to a journo in LA who has been speaking with a guy with a 1950s technology Top Fuel Yank V8 racer. No overhead cams. Pushrods. 2 valves per cylinder.

0-335mph in 4.4 seconds!

With the first 120mph taking one second!

0-120 in a second?

How the heck do those drivers not pass out?

Drag Racing baby! Love it! It's not enough G to make someone pass out though.

Might not pass out but I'd definitely soil myself :lol:

Oh yeah you gotta have balls to get in a Top Fuel dragster! Would love to have a go one day but the costs are absolutely out of this world!

• Like 1

There used to be a video on youtube of the tests the americans did back in WW2 time (I think) to see how much the human body could take G wise by getting people to accelerate to 600mph+ and then stop instantly. I cant remember the record off by heart by I remember the dude who did it stopped so fast the dust in his suit moved across his skin so fast it caused blisters and burns.

Fascinating video if someone can find it. Was history channel or something.

• Like 1

Although slightly cheating, watching the jet cars clear quarter mile in 3 seconds at Santa Pod was pretty impressive. Although as a ten year old didnt appreciate what the driver was going through at the time!

• Like 1

Although slightly cheating, watching the jet cars clear quarter mile in 3 seconds at Santa Pod was pretty impressive. Although as a ten year old didnt appreciate what the driver was going through at the time!

The jet car has never made a 3 second pass, but Sammy Millers rocket car certainly did!

• Like 1

Stupid man in a rocket sled, starts about 0.50

"When he began his research in 1947, the aerospace conventional wisdom was that a man would suffer fatally around 18 g. Stapp shattered this barrier in the process of his progressive work, experiencing more "peak" g-forces voluntarily than any other human. Stapp suffered repeated and various injuries including broken limbs, ribs,detached retina, and miscellaneous traumas which eventually resulted in lifelong lingering vision problems caused by permanently burst blood vessels in his eyes. In one of his final rocket-propelled rides, Stapp was subjected to 46.2 times the force of gravity.[5] The aeronautical design changes this fundamental research wrought are widespread and hard to quantify, but fundamentally important."

This is cool too:

To get the power down to tyres and get to 330+ in 440 yards is incredible.

But it's the first second that really amazes. You'd think getting away would be toughest.

I often wonder what they could do without the 100+ regulations.

Engine size, blower size, tyre size, etc.

Many of the restrictions do harm times though.

A bigger engine might be able to run lower boost, etc. Wider wheels may well help traction.

Intake size, etc., are restricted. I was amazed at how many rules there are.

• Like 1