Removing front bumper

_BR1TT0N_

Hey guys,

Right.... I want to remove my front bumper off my 12 plate gt edition. After taking the number plate off I realised there is a box attached to the front bumper with bolts. I believe this is safety thing for pedestrians where it lifts the bonnet if you hit someone. I want to get the front bumper painted to get rid of the stone Chips and am going to smooth the front bumper at the same time so there's no holes and this part where this box is screwed in. How do I remove this? Can I relocate it? What's suggested?

Thanks

Aaron

Don't own a 370Z myself but been looking for you to see if I could help. Found this bit of warning though on one forum...

You need to be careful with the front bumper on the 370Z. It's best to disconnect the battery before removing the bumper because of the pyrotechnics associated with the pedestrian protection system that pops the bonnet up in the event of a collision.

If you do not disconnect the battery then remove the bumper a warning light will come on and you need Consult 3 to turn it off (i.e. your Nissan dealer or Abbey Motorsport).

Also, for your own safety, never work around that area with the ignition on as the pyrotechnics are then live.

Quote is from a thread on **REMOVED** site but can't link them on here sorry. :shrug:

Picture in this thread below about installing GEN 3 air intakes on a 370Z showing the front bumper removed.

Link: http://www.the370z.c...-intakes-8.html

:thumbs:

Edit: can't even say that website's name on here by the looks of it as it says **REMOVED** ~ what a pita (google is your friend ;) )

Edited by GMballistic

Thanks so much for the response!! That's good to hear! Just wondering if anyone has had 1st hand experience on here? I don't know where to relocate this Pedestrian safety thing? And wants consult 3 mean?

Consult 3 is something to do with the OBD readers (diagnostic tool/reader) ~ latest software apparently.

Link: http://www.obd2express.co.uk/wholesale/nissan-consult-3-plus-nissan-consult-3.html

If you do a google search you will get more results failing any 370Z owners popping in to help. :thumbs:

Pic for you btw.

dscn2067a.jpg

I remember reading about the pedestrian safety system on the GTR. One owner lightly bumped the car in front which had a tow hook and it fired the pedestrian safety system. The ecu went into limp mode and the two brackets fired to lift the bonnet.

He took it into nissan to get the ecu reset and the brackets replaced as they are a fire and forget system. And the grand total cost for this job......

£12,000

Loads of owners where then trying to work out how to deactivate the system.

theres a bypass thing you can buy to switch it off but yeah a pretty expensive 10mph hit, im sure the 370 was around the 6k mark to replace. its the ecu for it i think that is one time use only so i think thats the expensive bit, good on GM for pointing that out and if in doubt take it along to Abbey or somewhere so they can remove it.

I remember reading about the pedestrian safety system on the GTR. One owner lightly bumped the car in front which had a tow hook and it fired the pedestrian safety system. The ecu went into limp mode and the two brackets fired to lift the bonnet.

He took it into nissan to get the ecu reset and the brackets replaced as they are a fire and forget system. And the grand total cost for this job......

£12,000

Loads of owners where then trying to work out how to deactivate the system.

I remember that exact story too :lol: .

That was a some years back now.