Berk HFC and invida dual flow, sensor issue (with spacers)

MDMetal

Hi guys, this is starting to bug me a bit. Last Dec I bought the above system (minus spacers) and had it fitted, all went well then a few weeks later the engine light pops on. The usual O2 sensor issues, garage said the issue was probably the new exhaust, I asked around here and people suggested the spacers are needed to help trick the sensors into working correctly. So I bought some but didn't fit them right away as the light went out for a weeks then, then came back on for a few weeks, then went off for a few months. Anyway its back on again so had the garage fit the spacers and lo and behold the lights popped back on even after clearing all the fault codes. Anyone else have this issue? Is it worth replacing the sensors? Driving round with the engine light on is really bugging me!

Remap, Abbey and Horsham will remove the warning light when doing the map

+1.

Have exactly the same exhaust system on my 350Z as you MDmetal and had the EML come on several times as well.

Once I got my UpRev done by Horsham Developments the problem was solved and the car ran a lot better too. :thumbs:

The remap alone is a great mod. Increased BHP and torques, improved driveability, (best to check with your insurer first mind to see what it does to premium). Whilst they're in the "brains" and doing your new map, they just switch the sensors off.

I understand (sure someone who knows will correct) these are purely diagnostic and it is "safe" to disable them - providing the code you're getting is for the sensors on the cats and not elsewhere.

If I were you and want reassurance I'd contact your nearest remap garage (one of Abbey, TDI north, Horsham, RS) and get them to talk you through it. They'll give you free advice if they think you're likely to put the business their way. They will also advise other mods it is possible to do before an uprev which will improve things.

You can just live with the CEL, but suggest getting a code reader so you can easily read and disable it, and also check that there's nothing else triggering it.

Edited by SuperStu

Thanks, yah I'm not really interested in any mod's just fixing an issue caused by a new component which wasn't meant to cause any issues :( spending anymore money on the problem would amount to throwing more after the exhaust. Makes me think I should have just gone with a stock exhaust that works not something fancy which sounds nice but needs more additional fixes and tweaks

Edited by MDMetal

The remap doesn't disable the sensors, the light comes on for a real reason, that being - the ECU is having problems with the O2 readings or something like that. Mine is always coming on but I have one of these: http://www.ebay.co.u...5f159���� fitted constantly which allows me to view the fault codes and clear them. When the engine light comes on I have checked for the codes but there's none stored so I know it's just the cat/s throwing the O2 readings for some reason. When the car is remapped with the UpRev then the map tunes the engine so that the burn on the gasses is optimised so the ECL is not triggered. :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vi-Performance-Tuning-Monitor-/261525729625?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3ce425f159

Edited by Floydbax

It's the whole thing or one of the components of it. The sensors readings are put out of the set parameters of the generic ECU map so it throws an error code due to the different characteristics of the non-standard exhaust system.. Mine is intermittent I have yet to track down what I have been driving like when the ECL comes on. It will be something like the cats or exhaust is having an effect on the O2 sensor/s.

Floydbax is indeed right, the uprev doesn't disable them, it's just something they can do when they're working on the ECU at the same time.

If you don't want it coming on, don't want to spend any more cash and don't want the hassle with checking and clearing codes. Pop the OEM cats back on and flog the Berks, someone will most likely snap your hand off.

The old ones had rusted to nothing so they aren't going back on! Anyway refitting the old ones would also cost. My bug bear isn't that I have to spend a little cash it's that the system should just work, when asking about potential issues with these nobody said "by the way your engine light will be stuck on forever unless you then spend a ton more money doing another 50 things" Guess I should just get the things disabled :(

MDM you might have it there with the short journey/stop/restart thing. :) I have another code reader so I'm gonna plug that in and see if there are residual trigger codes in the system, my inline monitor ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vi-Performance-Tuning-Monitor-/261525729625?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3ce425f159 ) always says there's no codes and when I reset the ECL goes off right away no issues.

The old ones had rusted to nothing so they aren't going back on! Anyway refitting the old ones would also cost. My bug bear isn't that I have to spend a little cash it's that the system should just work, when asking about potential issues with these nobody said "by the way your engine light will be stuck on forever unless you then spend a ton more money doing another 50 things" Guess I should just get the things disabled :(

I hear you, I wasn't expecting them to chuck CEL but I always had an uprev in the back of my mind anyway. Cheapest solutions is to get really good at the pedal dance or a reader to grab the codes and disable them, I keep a paper copy of this in the glove box in case I'm in a not spot.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/81962-350z-fault-codes-in-pdf/

Well, I checked for residual codes with my other diagnostic tool and there's none stored. Now considering I have never cleared them, just reset the ECL that shows it is just an intermittent problem to do with probably the O2 sensors in my new Berks reading that something is happening outside of the generic map that it can't account for, or is outside the standard mapping parameters. As the problem is intermittent I am not particularly bothered by it personally, I will get it UpReved at some point and I'm pretty sure that that will sort it. OP, if I were you I'd just get hold of a cheap OBD reader and resetter and do what I do and reset it every time, to be fair it's not that often and takes only a minute or so and you know what the problem is so there's no need to worry that your engine is gonna go bang! :) :) :)

I do have a reader I just don't think I should be resetting engine fault codes randomly, certainly if I sold the car any potential buyer would be wary "yah sure the light comes on a few times but just ignore it, its fine honest" I've emailed Berks to see what they would recommend from their POV, shall report back then hopefully!

For clarity, no ones suggesting you should just reset without checking the code(s) out first.

Absolutely but it's still not right, you wouldn't accept having to pump up your tyres every few weeks with a slow puncture, you'd want it sorted :) I'm a fussy guy when It comes to my car, taken a lot of care, effort and money to make sure it's always kept in tip top condition and everything is looked after, this is the one spot on an otherwise faultless 10 year old car. Realising I sound totally anal now!

For clarity, no ones suggesting you should just reset without checking the code(s) out first.

Absolutely but it's still not right, you wouldn't accept having to pump up your tyres every few weeks with a slow puncture, you'd want it sorted :) I'm a fussy guy when It comes to my car, taken a lot of care, effort and money to make sure it's always kept in tip top condition and everything is looked after, this is the one spot on an otherwise faultless 10 year old car. Realising I sound totally anal now!

I get that totally, it p!55ed me right off until they sorted it during the uprev.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...