350Z Roadster Auto

JurassicZ

Hi new to this forum and I will introduce myself properly later.

I am seriously looking to get a 350Z Roadster for some summer fun.

This will be a 3rd car and I will be looking at an early car in reality to appease the wife.

As she would rather have something boring like an SLK auto, I may have to make a sacrifice and go for an auto option.

I am going to look at one in a couple of days which is on a 53 plate not too far away, but I think I read somewhere that Nissan did not sell early 350Zs in auto, is that correct?

If so when were the first UK autos sold, and I guess then this must be a grey market car and any price would have to reflect this.

thanks for your advice.

Edited by 350ZRDev

Okay thanks for the info.

I presume this should affect the price significantly down?

There cannot be many autos in the UK then, does anyone on here recognise this car as a previous or current members ex car?

WM53 LNU in Silver.

Also reading through the JDM section it would seem that this in fact may not even be a 53 reg but earlier manufactured?

Thanks for all your advice as I do not want to make a big mistake on buying an import and it may push me back to another option if I cannot convince my wife on the manual.

Thanks for the help guys, I am viewing tomorrow and will let you know how I get on.

I have read through the buying guide which is very useful.

How much difference is there in the import rear bumper?

The car I am going to see is a 53 plate in silver with 70,000 miles. Supposedly full service history and a failry local car for 5 years with the previous owner.

It's on at £5995 at Cross Keys Garage, Taunton. They have it advertised as an 05 which is wrong and they are supposed to be updating there website.

How does that price look. As there are almost no auto roadsters around, it is difficult to guage pricing.

Price sounds like a reasonable starting point to me. Apart from the obvious physical examination - based on the buyers guide I would study the service history in detail (hopefully they might have the actual invoices?). V5 and past MOTs will verify some of the other stuff (locality, past MOT advisories).

Expect the service history to be patchy at best if it's an import - it's rare the records from japan stay with the car and even if they exist unless your command of Japanese is good it may not mean much to you!

Use your instinct. General condition. Clean oil. All the fluids at the right levels etc.

Well the car impressed!

It had not been prepped for sale, which is a good thing.

A bit dusty inside and mild colour wear on drivers bolster. Presume Gliptons scuff would cover this?

Has a dent on the front of the bonnet where a bar or something has dropped on it and a curbed NSF wheel all which will be done ( the bonnet respray will also cover the few stone chips on the bonnet which have been touched in).

The sat nav cover does not want to shut, but I did not want to force this.

Car has very nice aftermarket Pioneer touchscreen music system.

Car has full service history and old MoTs and even the original invoices from Japan. Advisory work required on last MoT was carried out also. Pads, shims, and some steering arm/bushes as well as 4 new tyres.

All in she looks a very tidy and well looked after example.

She drove very well, no pulling, no clicking from the back axle and the gearbox was very smooth with no lag or drivetrain shunting.

Main question is- I could not get a good look at it underneath. How big an issue is the potential lack of rust proofing, is it true that these came without any rust protection?

Thanks for all your help and advice guys!

Edited by 350ZRDev

Sorry another newbee question.

Is there a cambelt change or anything similar advised around the 70,000 mile mark?

Ignore this question as I have just done a search and note it's a timing chain.

I guess this is the same basic engine as in my Infiniti FX?

Edited by 350ZRDev