URGENT HELP NEEDED

zebedy

Over the weekend I wired in a new head unit which I must have got the constant live and ingnition live wrong somewhere. Anyway....;went to start the car this morning and battery was dead. So used my jump leads accross to another car. I HAD THE POLARITY WRONG as I was half asleep.I noticed some smoke from the jump leads, thats when I noticed something was wrong. Si I quickly swapped em around and now I cannt start the car , not even dashboard lights are on. Needless to say Im shitting my self. Can anyone tell me whats happened and how I may get things going again

thanks

You've created a huge short circuit hence the smoking cables.

The worst case scenario is that you've wrecked both batteries or possibly shortened their lives.

It all depends how long you had them connected like this.

They are designed to handle high currents, but only for short periods.

Was the other car able to start up ok afterwards?

Try charging the battery up on a trickle charger and see what voltage its holding after its fully charged .

If its below 12.5 volts then its probably been damaged.

The cars electronics should be ok though.

ye the other car starts ok. Ill try charging the battery in the hope it starts. Any one know where the battery fuse is. ie in the right hand kick board inside the drivers foot well, or if in the engine bay...where??

Im really hoping the electronics are fine

cheers

Zeb

ye the other car starts ok. Ill try charging the battery in the hope it starts. Any one know where the battery fuse is. ie in the right hand kick board inside the drivers foot well, or if in the engine bay...where??

Im really hoping the electronics are fine

cheers

Zeb

Battery fuse is located on actuall positive terminal of the battery...take that terminal off - and you will see what I'm on about :)

Mine gone last year...I think it was around £70 for a new one from Nissan

bullet...you **** on mate. Lessons learned there I think. Lets hope its the main fuse or something similar. Wont know until after 5 as Im in work.

Is there someone breaking a Zed on the forum?? Maybe theyll have one of these £70 fuse I could buy, if its that???

Im worried perhaps for nothing as Im envisaging the ECU being fried?? Can this happen or there are fuses in place to protect a short cuircut taking place. Is that what this main fuse does??

cheers

Zeb

bullet...you **** on mate. Lessons learned there I think. Lets hope its the main fuse or something similar. Wont know until after 5 as Im in work.

Is there someone breaking a Zed on the forum?? Maybe theyll have one of these £70 fuse I could buy, if its that???

Im worried perhaps for nothing as Im envisaging the ECU being fried?? Can this happen or there are fuses in place to protect a short cuircut taking place. Is that what this main fuse does??

cheers

Zeb

PM Zmanalex if it is the fuse or you need other bits. :pmzmanalex:

cheers

Zeb

Electrics aren't gonna go off like in the movies. Fuses protect whatever is behind it in the line.

Locate and check the fuses, replacements are usually generic which you can pick up from a local car parts store, Halfords or Maplins.

Only if it's not the fuses should you dig deeper and consider looking for replacement parts.

cheers

Zeb

PM Zmanalex if it is the fuse or you need other bits. :pmzmanalex:

Nice one Will. :thumbs:

PM received and replied to.

All parts are in stock and good to go same/next day.

Alex. :)

• Like 1