Knackered turbo....or something else?

drfeelgood73

Hi guys, looking for some ideas on a little problem just popped up on the old Alhambra. getting a whining noise from the engine It happens when in neutral and the engine is revved, kicks in as soon as the gas is put on and increases in volume the higher the Rev range you go. It also happens in every gear when being driven...... however, it does not happen when the clutch is in.... Thought initially the Alternator, water pump or belt tensioner pulleys, but when I disconnected the air filter box from the cold intake tube and ran it, the noise is coming from inside the pipe, into the back of the engine. Jacking it up tomorrow to see if there is a burst pipe somewhere, but I am presuming the worst at the turbo packing in. Anybody with any other ideas or experience with diesel turbos out there..... looks like it is a tricky place to get to to change....

It's surely clutch or gearbox related if the clutch silences it mate? Noise can travel through the engine.

I'm no expert but doubt that's a failing turbo.

My guess.......release bearing in the clutch

if the turbo has gone you would really know about it. Lots of black smoke from the exhaust from the turbo seals and a real loss of power. If it were a cracked pipe, i.e. vacuum pipe, it'd running irregularly without whining but a bit of hissing/whistling perhaps. It doesn't sound like that from what you've said. If you really think it is the turbo, just take of the intake pipe and wobble the impeller. It should only have a minimal amount of play like a mm or so. if there is more than that, check the impeller veins. The tips will be badly damaged from hitting the turbo housing from the extreme play from the seals going.

Edited by Rock_Steady

used to work on these daily hate them with a passion sorry,

But with out being there or witnessing the noise i wouldn't like to even guess, Can you get a good quality video of it?

is it a mk1 or a mk2 with a PD engine

Hi guys... managed to get this audio from engine bay today...you can here the whine if you listen close... I have tried revving in neutral and putting the clutch in, but the whine still occurs when revving....

http://s1298.photobu...3b314d.mp4.html

A lot of VAG diesels suffer from what a noise that sounds like an owl, not terminal I think

Wow...never thought of that... she loves owls..... might get out of fixing this now...... just the drive shafts, cv joints , wheel bearings and hubs to change ..... might have time to fit my quick shifter and the lip on the proper car...

:lol:

Just remember it being discussed on the seat forum when I had my Leon and my brother in laws Audi A3 made the same sound too...

Sent from the golf club...