SSSlllllllooooooooowwwwwwwww!

get12

Sounds like a local fault with internet near yourself.

I believe that contention ratios are increasing rapidly as more customers move to broadband. Result - everybody gets slower access.

Im of the opinion that the whole BT network is starting to slow up - and that includes the LLU providers networks too. :headhurt:

The network in the UK is far slower than many other countries. Average broadband speeds in Japan (20+mb), the USA, Sweden etc. are far higher than they are here beause the governments and/or major private providers invested in high speed systems years ago. In this country, successive governments, beginning with Maggie's, failed to force BT into upgrading the antiquated systems we are now stuck with.

I wish I was in a cable area - I would switch tomorrow if I could.

I am in a cabled area - but cant have it.

Get this....

In Chesterfield NTL cabled some areas that had council properties. This created a situation whereby people looking for council houses were rejecting some that the council offered because they couldnt get cable.

Instead of being tough with the applicants, they stopped the situation from getting worse by.....

Instructing NTL that they could not lay cable down any further streets, or indeed cross the pavements to make any more final connectiopns to properties, until they had provided cable access to ALL council house streets in the area.

Obviously as NTL knew the take up would be low in areas of poverty etc, they were then caught between a rock and a hard place - so told Chesterfield council where to stick their cable. And now even though there are cables just outside the front doors of many properties - they still cant have it.

Yes - I am in a newish estate where some houses have cable but most don't. Those at the top end, which was built before NTL/Telewest hit their financial crisis and stopped extending the cable network, do have cable access. Houses built after that, including mine, have no possibility of access to cable.

Hi Jim, how are you :)

I'm lucky enough to have cable. Virgin are upgrading me from 10Mb to 20Mb at no extra cost - I can't believe it will make much difference as most sites can't download at anywhere near that speed. Still, at least with cable then distance from local exchange should not affect performance.

Gus

Good to hear from you Gus.

Funnily enough, I saw a Virgin van outside a house near me the other day, and the guy seemed to be running out lengths of cable. I must enquire if Virgin have decided to step into the breach here.