Judder

SurreyBob

Hello.

As some of you know I bought a 350z a couple of months ago. One thing I seem to have missed is a judder when pulling away. Having done my research on here it seems to be the DMF but (as I've got a two long drives in the next week or so) I'm wondering how much of an issue this is.

Is it something I can get away with for a short while or something I should sort straight away?

Thanks.

Bob.

There could be a few things which would contribute to these symtoms. Worn clutch + Fly wheel, a new clutch with a solid fly wheel sometimes results in a little juddering. Is the clutch pedal high towards the top end of it's travel? I personally wouldnt go on any lengthy trips without firstly exploring the clutch condition first.

It's fairly high. Not right at the top though. As far as I know it's on the original clutch and is probably due one. Will get one off Clark mootorsport.

There's absolutely no slipping or anything like that. Just the judder under load (and not all the time). I'm more worried about breaking the gearbox or something as I will be getting a new clutch / flywheel shortly. Its just the drives I need to fit in without ruining anything!

I've just done my clutch and fly wheel. i decided to change it before my trip to France in 2 weeks and boy was i glad. i had no slipping, no loss of power a little high clutch position but the clutch plate was down to rivets. Surely wouldn't have made the 2k trip without failing.

Just take it easy on the acceleration and no keen gear changes.

Stolen from a bloke on PH:

Clutch judder is usually something like oil or some other crap somehow getting on the surface of the clutch itself and causing it to not grip properly or smoothly when engaging causing the juddering effect as it grips in part, then slips, then grips and so on.

It can also be caused by other parts of the clutch or flywheel being slightly out of shape usually from being just plain worn out or glazed to the point it's not getting consistent grip.

It's usually a sign your clutch/flywheel might need to be looked at/replaced at some point in the near future. If it's only minor or infrequent then it will likely not need urgent attention. In a newer car, or a make of car with a known problem in that area I would get it looked at sooner in case there is some underlying problem that is causing it.

Edited by 370Ad

Mine is on original clutch ~71k miles. Whilst the engagement point is quite high, there's no slippage or juddering.

Im on 59k miles, original clutch, also high biting point/engagement and no slipage or juddering. I tried 4 other Zed's before buying mine and they all had high engaging clutches.

Mine juddered when I first got it for about a month. After a bit of 'bedding in' by me it hardly ever does it anymore.

Old owner was very careful with the car and didnt really use it correctly.