Education is the key................. or is it?

StevoD

The whole education system is not completely flawed, it is laid out in the best possible way to service as many people as possible in a way that is viable in a financially constrained environment. At uni we had over 150 students sit in on Statistics lectures, we had 2 Stats professors at the uni, so, apart from having lectures how is the information to be divulged across high numbers of students with this limited resource? Of course 1-1 teaching would be lovely, but, as per the clip, I am yet to see alternatives that are financially and sensibly viable.

As for emotional and social intelligence, I believe the basis of this comes from good schooling and having proper social interactions - if there is a failing in this nowadays its more likely to be due to kids locking themselves into Facebook or the like (car forums haha!) 24 hrs a day, texting or emailing instead of speaking to each other - its a lifestyle thing in my view.

As Gangzoom said, you don't know how good you got it sometimes. Yes sometimes life 'tosses you a lemon' and some people take it on the chin and stand up stronger for it, others make you tube videos blaming systems.

I have only skim read so apologies if its been covered!

Did i have the ability to learn about things i had zero interest in at school, no, do i have the ability to learn about things i am interested in, absolutely, which came as a complete shock to me after i left school thinking i was stupid.

Unfortunately schools neither have the time or resources to devote to individuals strengths, either you conform or you are left outside to ponder your abilities! Schooling has changed a lot since i was there but still dont think they are able to recognise an individuals talents and nurture them, its a set curriculum.

School however gave me the fundamentals i need for life, english and maths (even some maths was a complete farce for me) so i cant complain :)

But again, you can't tailor a nationwide schooling system to an individual level, its just not feasible - what would you do instead? The spectrum of study is broad at GCSE level, it has to be (just because one person didn't like History doesn't mean the next won't either, why deprive them?) - but is it viable to teach welding and plumbing to 12 year olds who can't handle maths and english? Having taught in a school recently, it is incredible the lengths teachers go to after school to provide extra curricular stuff for kids. Funny thing is most kids find anything interesting if its made interesting to them - I was teaching survey writing and analysis in a maths class, boredom written all over their faces saying that no one uses this, so I asked them to guess how much money companies like Coca Cola etc spend on doing surveys globally every year - once we got to a figure of $40,000,000,000 everyone in the class suddenly took an interest and they really cracked on :lol:

What I also love, is how the poorer students can be so inspirational. When teaching prime numbers, a student at the back who hated maths put her hand up and asked how any number can be prime when it can be divided by its own negative (therefore the rule that its is divisible by itself and 1 only is wrong) - genius. Made me go home that night and find out why!

I think the great tragedy of our schooling is that so many kids do not make the most of it. With it all supplied on a plate, there are so many knockers.