Help needed with coilovers

R1TCH1E

Hi all, new to the forum and have just bought my first 350z GT. Ive done a search and tried everything which could pinpoint to my problem. Ok i have HKS RS coilovers on my 350 and everytime i go over potholes or small bumps i hear a bad knocking noise coming from the rear passenger side. Ive removed the shock and tightened the top nut, mad sure all the nuts and bolts were tight, changed rear droplinks and still have the knocking noise. Its been over the garage by my work and we cant figure out where the noise is coming from??? Now i noticed the rear passenger side was sitting slightly lower than the drivers rear so i adjusted the spring to try and equal it out but there is a huge difference between the 2 sides where the 2 locking nuts are situated. About 15-20mm on the thread. Ive tried adjustining the damping force also and is set really soft but im still having the same problems with the knocking. The only thing i could think of was a dodgy shock? Im abit stumped. If anyone could help i would really appreciate it. Other than that i really love my new toy :)

Also if it was the shocks that were shot, could i just replace them with standards shocks as the rear springs are seperate but keep the HKS adjustable springs with them. I know i couldnt adjust the damping force but to be honest i cant really afford to go out and buy a new set of coilovers as we all know they dont come cheap for a decent set.

Also if it was the shocks that were shot, could i just replace them with standards shocks as the rear springs are seperate. I knock i couldnt adjust the damping force but to be honest i cant really afford to go out and buy a new set of coilovers as we all know they dont come cheap for a decent set.

Edited by R1TCH1E

Not 100% sure pal. They only cost something like £13 each as i got trade price through the garage so im assuming they aint adjustable and are just original ones. Its trange how its only knocking quite bad on the passenger rear. I only had them done last week and as soon as i drove it the sound was still there. Would adjustable droplinks make a difference then?

Sounds like something isn't sitting properly to me.

Suspension too high one side compared with the other, and a clanking noise over bumps would seem like dead giveaways. Personally I'd be tempted to start again: Remove everything on the rear, and re-install.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/84713-whiteline-drop-links/

That's what they should look like.

When you lower it on Coilly's you're changing how it sits on the ARB (which is what the Drop links are connected too) when you lower it, you are putting more pressure on this, so you need to make them short to compensate for the lowering

What I said could all be completely wrong, but some of it should make sense.

Sounds like a plan. When i bought the car he just said it was the exhaust knocking. My own fault for not checking properly as when i had a look at the exhaust it seems fine. I dont know how old the coilovers are. I will have a go at removing the rear springs again and checking as i thought it was strange how much i had to move the adjustments on the spring on the passenger side to match the drivers side. Im very knew to adjusting coilovers as ive never done it before but it doesnt seem right to me at all.

If you hate the coilovers and want stock suspension, i'll be more than happy to help you out and switch ;)

***Vulture mode engaged***

I'd like to see it as ***Helpful mode engaged, with both partys getting a happy outcome ;) *** :lol:

When you lower it on Coilly's you're changing how it sits on the ARB (which is what the Drop links are connected too) when you lower it, you are putting more pressure on this, so you need to make them short to compensate for the lowering

They deffinetly aint like the whiteline ones. Ill start with removing the rear coilovers and seeing if it makes a difference. If not then ill have to have a look into buying some adjustable droplinks. Just strange how different the ride height is either side. Im abit worried because i adjusted the passenger side to match the drivers side height, which i had to make the ride height higher on the passenger side by 15mm. By doing this the spring is just about sitting on the threaded part which the locking nuts are on as i had to move the nuts down. I hope this makes sense lol because im slightly confusing myself :)

Is the spare wheel secured into place ;)

If you are running coilies, best have adjustable drop links as the standard ones will wear quicker when you are lowered

Checked that last night pal. Removed everything in the boot and replaced and made sure the spare was secure tight.

If you hate the coilovers and want stock suspension, i'll be more than happy to help you out and switch ;)

Very tempted mate :) the only thing i would be worried about is it wouldnt cure my problem lol.

Very tempted mate :) the only thing i would be worried about is it wouldnt cure my problem lol.

How is the ride height on standard setup and whats the ride quality like.

How is the ride height on standard setup and whats the ride quality like.

I'll let someone else say as I'd be biased as I'm in need of some coillys :lol:

Another way to test whats going on is to raise the suspension, I don't know if it's the same on the Zed but on the Golf I had to change the ARB as the coilovers were rubbing round corners/pot holes.

Just to give another pointer...

When I had a knocking noise, I honestly thought it was coming from the rear but it turned out to be the 'banana arms' at the front !

(the previous owner had done the droplinks only a few months before)

Even trying to do the advised Nissan check on the arms didn't reveal an issue, I just decided to replace them (imported new ones from the USA-ebay) and it fixed the issue :)

I dont get any rubbing. Just dont want to spend a fortune on things that aint going to stip my problem. Im very tempted to take the collies off and just put a standard setup on it as i have alot of speed bumps around where i live and it drives me mad having to creep over them. My car is in the exhaust shop today having new flexi joints being welded in on my h pipe as they are blowing from being hit to much. I think the hks rs collies are around £1500 new so how much do you think i could get for these?

If you were nearby I'd hop in the car with you to see if it's the same noise I had.

(I took my car to Abbey as well, and they couldn't be 100% sure that it was the banana arms either - I'm presuming because it had just started and wasn't badly worn yet).

I dont get any rubbing. Just dont want to spend a fortune on things that aint going to stip my problem. Im very tempted to take the collies off and just put a standard setup on it as i have alot of speed bumps around where i live and it drives me mad having to creep over them. My car is in the exhaust shop today having new flexi joints being welded in on my h pipe as they are blowing from being hit to much. I think the hks rs collies are around £1500 new so how much do you think i could get for these?

:surrender: didn't realise they were that expensive :lol: If you come up with a figure, +my suspension let me know in a PM

If you were nearby I'd hop in the car with you to see if it's the same noise I had.

(I took my car to Abbey as well, and they couldn't be 100% sure that it was the banana arms either - I'm presuming because it had just started and wasn't badly worn yet).

That would have been great pal but yeh your a fair distance away. It deffinetly sounds like its coming from the rear. It couldnt be the boot knocking could it. I know on my leon cupra r which i just sold had abit of play on the lock mechanism so everytime i went over a bump it banged. As soon as i put some insulation tape around the catch it stopped. I wonder if theres any issues with the same sort of thing on the boot on the zed. I doubt it though??

:surrender: didn't realise they were that expensive :lol: If you come up with a figure, +my suspension let me know in a PM

Take a look at this pal. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HKS-Hipermax-RS-Suspension-Nissan-350Z-massive-discount-/231202082625?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3A350+Z&hash=item35d4b7cf41

Mine are exactly the same as these. Hes selling them for £900 but have been fitted to a car before for photo purposes and also says they are over £1500 new. If you put it in on google you will see how much they are new but i think you can only get them from abroad.

Make me an offer pal if you are interested and your suspension is in good working order.

That would have been great pal but yeh your a fair distance away. It deffinetly sounds like its coming from the rear. It couldnt be the boot knocking could it. I know on my leon cupra r which i just sold had abit of play on the lock mechanism so everytime i went over a bump it banged. As soon as i put some insulation tape around the catch it stopped. I wonder if theres any issues with the same sort of thing on the boot on the zed. I doubt it though??

Hopefully another owner near you that had the banana arm knocking sound, as the sound travels in the car in a strange way, I could have sworn it was rear driver side !

It's just worth considering though, I even taped some mircophones to my banana arms to check :lol: (which is when I realised it WAS them in the end).

Hopefully another owner near you that had the banana arm knocking sound, as the sound travels in the car in a strange way, I could have sworn it was rear driver side !

It's just worth considering though, I even taped some mircophones to my banana arms to check :lol: (which is when I realised it WAS them in the end).

Mmmm are these on the front then? How noticeable was the knocking? Also can you remember how much it cost to replace them fitted?