Help needed with coilovers

R1TCH1E

If you were nearby I'd hop in the car with you to see if it's the same noise I had.

(I took my car to Abbey as well, and they couldn't be 100% sure that it was the banana arms either - I'm presuming because it had just started and wasn't badly worn yet).

That would have been great pal but yeh your a fair distance away. It deffinetly sounds like its coming from the rear. It couldnt be the boot knocking could it. I know on my leon cupra r which i just sold had abit of play on the lock mechanism so everytime i went over a bump it banged. As soon as i put some insulation tape around the catch it stopped. I wonder if theres any issues with the same sort of thing on the boot on the zed. I doubt it though??

Hopefully another owner near you that had the banana arm knocking sound, as the sound travels in the car in a strange way, I could have sworn it was rear driver side !

It's just worth considering though, I even taped some mircophones to my banana arms to check :lol: (which is when I realised it WAS them in the end).

Mmmm are these on the front then? How noticeable was the knocking? Also can you remember how much it cost to replace them fitted?

Yep, one end you can replace the bushing, the other end you can't - and for me it was the sods-law end (actually I had Superpro bushes so I knew it wasn't that end straight away). It was very noticeable. Like a slightly hollow rattle, knocking sound - for me particularly over smaller bumps in the road. Once over 40mph I tended not to hear it anymore, just low speed driving.

I paid around £70 per arm (new items from ebay - not genuine Nissan items, just copies but 1 year later, no issues), and it took around 30-40 mins to have them fitted by a mechanic that hadn't worked on a 350z before :lol: (after seeing it done, it's something you could do yourself if the bolts aren't knackered), so fitting was around £50 (I had an oil change as well).

If you were nearby I'd hop in the car with you to see if it's the same noise I had.

(I took my car to Abbey as well, and they couldn't be 100% sure that it was the banana arms either - I'm presuming because it had just started and wasn't badly worn yet).

That would have been great pal but yeh your a fair distance away. It deffinetly sounds like its coming from the rear. It couldnt be the boot knocking could it. I know on my leon cupra r which i just sold had abit of play on the lock mechanism so everytime i went over a bump it banged. As soon as i put some insulation tape around the catch it stopped. I wonder if theres any issues with the same sort of thing on the boot on the zed. I doubt it though??

Hopefully another owner near you that had the banana arm knocking sound, as the sound travels in the car in a strange way, I could have sworn it was rear driver side !

It's just worth considering though, I even taped some mircophones to my banana arms to check :lol: (which is when I realised it WAS them in the end).

Mmmm are these on the front then? How noticeable was the knocking? Also can you remember how much it cost to replace them fitted?

Yep, one end you can replace the bushing, the other end you can't - and for me it was the sods-law end (actually I had Superpro bushes so I knew it wasn't that end straight away). It was very noticeable. Like a slightly hollow rattle, knocking sound - for me particularly over smaller bumps in the road. Once over 40mph I tended not to hear it anymore, just low speed driving.

I paid around £70 per arm (new items from ebay - not genuine Nissan items, just copies but 1 year later, no issues), and it took around 30-40 mins to have them fitted by a mechanic that hadn't worked on a 350z before :lol: (after seeing it done, it's something you could do yourself if the bolts aren't knackered), so fitting was around £50 (I had an oil change as well).

Cheers pal. This is something i will deff look into. Thanks for your help guys. Appreciate it ;)

When you say you taped a microphone to it, how did you do that. Was that while you were driving?

Yeah, I have various mic's but in this instance I just used a very cheap lapel microphone, like this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/electret-miniature-tie-clip-microphone-yw71n

Just zip-tied it to the offending end (I did both sides), ran it into my video camera, drove around for a few mins and listened to the results on the computer afterwards. (yes, I used to be a sound engineer/producer ;))

When you say you taped a microphone to it, how did you do that. Was that while you were driving?

Yeah, I have various mic's but in this instance I just used a very cheap lapel microphone, like this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/electret-miniature-tie-clip-microphone-yw71n

Just zip-tied it to the offending end (I did both sides), ran it into my video camera, drove around for a few mins and listened to the results on the computer afterwards. (yes, I used to be a sound engineer/producer ;))

Haha abit technical for me :)

Ill have to investigate. I noticed thqt link you sent was not from the uk. Did you have to import yours then or can i get them from the uk. Obviously nissan should supply them at an expensive price??

Haha abit technical for me :)

Ill have to investigate. I noticed thqt link you sent was not from the uk. Did you have to import yours then or can i get them from the uk. Obviously nissan should supply them at an expensive price??

Yep, I imported them, it didn't take long at all (of course this will depend on the seller).

Nissan items are very expensive £250 each iirc - which is why I thought I'd try out a cheap copy first to see how they last.

I dont get any rubbing. Just dont want to spend a fortune on things that aint going to stip my problem. Im very tempted to take the collies off and just put a standard setup on it as i have alot of speed bumps around where i live and it drives me mad having to creep over them. My car is in the exhaust shop today having new flexi joints being welded in on my h pipe as they are blowing from being hit to much. I think the hks rs collies are around £1500 new so how much do you think i could get for these?

:surrender: didn't realise they were that expensive :lol: If you come up with a figure, +my suspension let me know in a PM

Clark Motorsport sell these BNIB for £795 (ex Zmanalex stock)

• Like 1

I dont get any rubbing. Just dont want to spend a fortune on things that aint going to stip my problem. Im very tempted to take the collies off and just put a standard setup on it as i have alot of speed bumps around where i live and it drives me mad having to creep over them. My car is in the exhaust shop today having new flexi joints being welded in on my h pipe as they are blowing from being hit to much. I think the hks rs collies are around £1500 new so how much do you think i could get for these?

:surrender: didn't realise they were that expensive :lol: If you come up with a figure, +my suspension let me know in a PM

Clark Motorsport sell these BNIB for £795 (ex Zmanalex stock)

Never. Cheapest ive heard then, when i always done a search it always come up more expensive. Couldnt have searched hard enough. :)