Cubby Hole Button Paint

Jp606

The button on my cubby is scratched and looking tatty, so I want to remove and respray it. Just wondered if there's any specific paint/prep procedure people have used to get a good finish? The OEM finish is almost rubbery?

I did mine with black Matt Halfords paint when I was doing my wiper blades. It doesn't feel like the rubber but looks much better than when it had chips out of it. I will re do it in the future along with my interior door handles. I'm not sure what's best to use though

Thanks for the advice guys. Will pop into Halfords tomorrow to see what I can find. Regarding prep, did you completely sand back?

For doing mine I used a Dremel with a soft nylon bristle brush attachment. This got most of the original "soft touch" paint off without damaging the 8 small dimples on the button.

I was just going to paint it then after keying the surface up with a scotch pad but I actually found that mine had a small dent under the soft touch paint so had to do a little more work to make the surface perfect.

I used 600 grit wet & dry paper to rub that small dent out followed by 800 grit and then 1000 grit. This removed the 8 small dimples on my button but I wasn't bothered about keeping them. I then cleaned with soapy water, dried and began spraying.

1-2 light coats then 1 heavier wet coat. ;)

Went with the Halfords grey primer and matt black spray. Prepped with wet and dry and applied a few coats of each. Very impressed with the results and very easy to do, finish looks OEM however I've lost the 3 small dots. Also touched up the small chips on the interior with a black permanent marker which works well :)

Before:

ilV3ysYl.jpg

After:

8ZY78EUl.jpg

Edited by Jp606
  • Like 1