A Tool question

Dicky

Always helps to have a 4 foot scaffold pole in stock for when the breaker bar aint enough.

Thats what I always use. :thumbs:

To be honest I do have a compressor and an impact gun which runs off it, but I seldom ever use it. Much prefer the manual brute force method.

It depends what you're doing I guess, as I always used to do it manually too. Until I went for a weekend of drifting and bruised the palms of my hands with all the changes I was doing and very quickly realised I couldn't get the nuts fully tight as I was easing off because my hands hurt so much. Now I have a breaker bar just to check the gun has them tight enough.

Thats very true and I think id do the same in that situation. :thumbs:

When I think hard on it I've come to realise there's a certain sense of accomplishment when you struggle against the impossible nut or bolt, and what's wrong with breaker bars and good old fashioned No9 work boots on the end of a chewed up spanner anyway.

Impact guns are for wimps!............I think. :)

I bought mine for a stubborn ball joint, whole assembly was turning and compressing the suspension arm didn't work. Impact gun had it straight off......plus I always wanted an excuse to buy one :)

• 8 months later...

I've been looking at maybe getting a cordless impact wrench, nothing too expensive and fancy BUT I was wondering if it's possible to end up damaging bits n bobs ?

Really I was just thinking of having one to save time (under the car yesterday and if I had one, I could have been done in 10 mins rather than a couple of hours :lol:) and serious aches n pains :teeth:

For example, I'll be taking the suspension off at some point soon, or taking the ARB's off etc, and just thought it'll be handy to have.

They seem to be in the range of 410Nm/302ftlb - is that overkill ? (can't be can it, we're talking tools !)

Like this - looks like a time saver !

(that one is also pretty expensive but 780 ft. lbs :teeth: )

Edited by RobPhoboS

Ok guys, don't be fooled by cordless impact guns, the norm for a standard 18v Impact wrench is 180nm, however Bosch make this one or a GPX 18v which has three selectable speed settings which effectively control the torque thus allowing smaller bolts that don't require massive torque can be done or undone without causing damage, or if you really want large amounts of torque they make one with 675 nm"""" all of which are great quality............ I should know I work for them.....! lol😄😄😄😄