350z convertible common faults

Kev

If the hood works and the rest of the car looks OK, at that price, buy it!

As others have said, other items can be sorted.

Once you have driven the Zed, you'll love it!

I've had my roadster now for 18 months and still smile every time I get behind the wheel and fire up that V6!

PS: Should sound good in a multi storey car park.

Best of luck with your purchase.

My passenger door kept clicking the other day and it was because the wife hadn't slammed the door properly so the drop down window didn't know what to do so kept dropping half an inch then going back up again. Again and again.

After 5 seconds I figured it was this, pulled over and shut the door properly.

I really wouldn't let a clicking door worry you though mate, that will be the least of your worries!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Finally went to have a look at the car today.

It's really straight but very dusty.

The biggest issue is the front bumper. It has nasty multi storey parking scrapes and is missing a "head lamp wash jet thing" on one side.

Would I be better looking for a new bumper?

Or is this easily repairable?

8f8ebf91f75b0d118ccb03b7d864701e.jpg

c5a52b5c6a1b85fa81ee71a143988fd7.jpg

e1a75da3c3762ea5b1b8e15c917eaeb6.jpg

It also has a slight scrape on the rear bumper.

eea0230bb8897bae11649db93919df50.jpg

Scrapes and dings and bumps can be sorted mate. If the thing starts and drives and the roof works it's still worth 4K easily.

Is it a GT do you know? It has 18" Rays which usually indicate a GT as I highly doubt the owner would have changed the wheels as it looks like he didnt care for the car enough to wash it let alone modify it.

The wheels alone are worth £300.

Scrapes and dings and bumps can be sorted mate. If the thing starts and drives and the roof works it's still worth 4K easily.

Is it a GT do you know? It has 18" Rays which usually indicate a GT as I highly doubt the owner would have changed the wheels as it looks like he didnt care for the car enough to wash it let alone modify it.

The wheels alone are worth £300.

It's been sat since August in a busy multi-storey which explains the dust.

I knew it was a GT bud. I remember when he bought it new. He lost a fortune on coupe that he'd had for a year when he traded it in.

The interior looks brand new.

There are no dings or dents, but those bumper scrapes ain't pretty.

The private plate looks like it might be worth a bit too.

Edited by Kev

Are the bumpers dented and cracked or is it just paint damage? They need a respray at least.

Personally I would offer less for it mate, try £3K. He clearly doesn't need the cash as it has been dumped and neglected in a car park. Plus if he's a mate or an acquaintance then he should be happy for the 3K.

I don't think I'll get it for £3k, but it won't be £4k. Prob around 3.5k.

The bumpers aren't dented or cracked just scraped. But front is also missing a wash jet.

I will.

Fingers crossed everything other than the bumpers will be fine. It's only done 30k miles and had one owner. He's hardly short of cash so I doubt it's ever been ran on regular unleaded.

My plan is to keep everything original apart from the exhaust. I'm going to have the wheels refurbished and the bodywork detailed.

I like darker wheels but I'm thinking original silver might be better for the Rays. Although black with a silver rim edge is tempting.

The only thing I really don't like are the door handles. They look and feel cheap. Is there a nice aftermarket option?

Hopefully, that damage was done in the car park, I dread to think what sort of owner, with lots of money apparently, would allow a car to get into that sort of state and what a weird place to store your car. Still a bargain though. As far as door handles go I'm not aware of any after market alternatives, but it's fairly common for owners to paint or wrap them.

Pete

The company he owns has numerous staff spaces allocated in the the car park and it has 24hr security so he left it there.

The scrapes are definitely down to bad/drunk parking. You can tell when you see them in person.

The interior is immaculate and the mileage is really low.

I wouldn't touch it if I didn't know its history. It's in a car park without tax or mot and he's lost the log book.

Just been to see the car at the garage.

Miles are slightly higher than I thought at 38k but the body work is really tidy apart from the bumpers.

The clicking sound is clearly the speaker in the drivers door. Other than that the interior is immaculate for a 9 year old car.

My big initial worry is the roof. I didn't try for long but it seemed dead. The switch doesn't seem to do anything. Hopefully it will be a fuse.

The garage are checking the car over to make sure there are no nasty surprises before I buy it.

Miles are slightly higher than I thought at 38k but the body work is really tidy apart from the bumpers.

The clicking sound is clearly the speaker in the drivers door. Other than that the interior is immaculate for a 9 year old car.

My big initial worry is the roof. I didn't try for long but it seemed dead. The switch doesn't seem to do anything. Hopefully it will be a fuse.

The garage are checking the car over to make sure there are no nasty surprises before I buy it.

This might be obvious, but did you depress the brake pedal before pressing the switch?

This might be obvious, but did you depress the brake pedal before pressing the switch?

No :)

• Like 2

Just had a call to say the roof is sticking 3/4 of the way down.

Just read a few old threads.

Hope it's nothing serious :(

Nothing to worry about, some lubrication of the joints will help and it may take quite a number of attempts to get it open. When Ricey detailed our roadster last week the roof hadn't been down since October and it took around 6 or 7 attempts to get it down, a couple of days later it went down first time. Just make sure you don't try and force it, you can apply a little pressure but nothing more.

Pete

• Like 1

For the price you are paying a sticking roof is no big deal. As Jetset said, it's been sat for ages so needs well lubrication to get it going again. No big deal buddy!

Have you bought it then yet or what's happening?