350z convertible common faults

Kev

It looks like I'm going to be buying a 350z on Monday.

This wasn't planned, but it's a good price and I can't turn it down.

The 350z is a low mile cabrio. Uk car. But it's been stood for a while.

Are there any common faults I should be on the look out for?

Thanks

Check hood for ripping or pulling in the top corners over the rear window.

Personally I'd pour water all over it and look for leaks as they can be common and it is why I sold mine.

Check the roof mechanism multiple times as some don't shut properly. It may get stuck going up in cold weather but that is a common issue.

Basically if anything looks wrong or off walk away as it's not easy or cheap to fix.

Good luck I loved my roadster and am on my 2nd in 4 years

• Like 2

Thanks for that.

The car is a 2005 black GT roadster with 30k miles. It's only been used for short commutes, but has probably been driven hard.

I've been told it has a few scuffs and scratches.

It's currently sat in a multi storey car park. I have to make my mind up before Tuesday or it's going to a dealer for a silly low price.

I'm tempted to drive up and have a look now.

If its been stood for a long while then it'll stick when opening, usually about 3 to 4 inches above the hood lock at the back. We took ours down yesterday for the first time since last September and true to form it stuck. It's very tempting to attempt to push it down but don't, just close the roof back up then attempt to open it again. It may take from 4 to 6 attempts to get it properly opened and a bit of lubrication around the moving parts may help. Once you've got it properly opened then it shouldn't give you any more trouble until next spring.

We also had a slight leak on ours, turned out the seals between the doors and the windows just needed pushing back into place.

Pete

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. I would probably have pushed it down like you mentioned.

I know the battery is flat and the mot has expired. Are 350z's ok to tow?

I know someone who caused a lot of damage to their m3 having towed.

Also, what would you guys say the current value is for a 05 gt roadster with 30k miles?

Sorry for all the questions. I've gotta make a quick decision :)

Thanks

It's not advertised.

The guy has had it since new. It's been sat since he got a company car a few months back. I know the car, but haven't seen it for 5 years.

I'm glad I asked about towing it. If it's got no Mot, I'm going to take a chance and drive it home.

He did mention it occasionally has a "clicking noise" that comes from the drivers door when it is cold.

Edited by Kev

Also, what would you guys say the current value is for a 05 gt roadster with 30k miles?

Thanks

My estimate would be anything from 6k to 7.5k. Maybe 7.8k if its in exceptional condition with FSH, new tyres and brakes and a GT Model (leather seats, cruise, etc). There's also a bit of a price difference depending on colour, an Azure Blue will fetch as much as £300 more than a Blade Silver for example.

Pete

Edited by JetSet
  • Like 1

Thanks

My estimate would be anything from 6k to 7.5k. Maybe 7.8k if its in exceptional condition with FSH, new tyres and brakes and a GT Model (leather seats, cruise, etc)

Pete

Thanks Pete.

You've reassured me.

If you can give him 3K for it you're laughing!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Your not far off mate.

That's why I'm buying it. I wasn't looking to buy another car.

We've agreed £4k before I've seen the car.

I might get a bit more off for the scratches and the "clicking noise."

Any ideas what the clicking noise from the drivers door might be?

We've agreed £4k before I've seen the car.

I might get a bit more off for the scratches and the "clicking noise."

Any ideas what the clicking noise from the drivers door might be?

Could be a clicky rear axle on drivers side, very common and fairly easy/cheap(ish) fix

If it is coming from the actual door then no idea :shrug:

Sent from the golf club...

• Like 1

I normally research cars before I buy them. But this has caught me off guard.

Hopefully the clicking won't be anything major. I wondered if it was a common issue.

I always said if I bought a Z it would be a coupe, but I'm definitely buying this one.

I'm looking forward to the summer now.

Thanks for all the quick responses and advice.

4k??

Bite has hand off. Very cheap with low miles.

Even if its a minger, still plenty in the budget to fix n sell on.

BUT as with everything cheap.....very few bargains out there so beware.

Good luck and post some pics up when you get it.

Also book it in for mot on day of purchase.....that way should be able to drive it to mot station without upsetting plod - providing you insure it.

• Like 1

The clicking noise has me a bit concerned. He said it comes from the drivers side door when cold. He took it to the garage and they didn't know what it was.

I'm going to drive up later and have a look. The poor thing has been stood in a multi storey since August and recently caused a bomb scare :)

The seller has said if there is anything majorly wrong with it, he'll give me my cash back.

It also has a private plate that should be worth something.

I'd be a fool not to buy it. I'll post loads of pics.

It's only ever been used for a short commute a few days a week.

The clicking noise has me a bit concerned. He said it comes from the drivers side door when cold. He took it to the garage and they didn't know what it was.

I'm going to drive up later and have a look. The poor thing has been stood in a multi storey since August and recently caused a bomb scare :)

The seller has said if there is anything majorly wrong with it, he'll give me my cash back.

It also has a private plate that should be worth something.

I'd be a fool not to buy it. I'll post loads of pics.

It's only ever been used for a short commute a few days a week.

stop typing and get driving :lol::thumbs:

For that money if you don't want it I will have it lol . Go get it before he changes his mind. Any way were are you looking at the car may be some one on here might be abell to check over it with you . But as some have said snap his hand off at that price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm definitely buying it.

The owners are lazy and rich and won't meet me at the car until Tuesday.

It's basically owned by a company and they want it off their books for tax reasons. It's been sat in a car park since it's owner got a new company car. My best mate owns over half of the company.

I was planning to keep it over the summer and then flip it. But I'm thinking about a new exhaust before I've got the car :)

It's basically owned by a company and they want it off their books for tax reasons. It's been sat in a car park since it's owner got a new company car. My best mate owns over half of the company.

I was planning to keep it over the summer and then flip it. But I'm thinking about a new exhaust before I've got the car :)

now we are talking let the mids begin :-) what a good find have they got any more cars for sale ? :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

now we are talking let the mids begin :-) what a good find have they got any more cars for sale ? :-

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unfortunately not.

They let a clk cabrio go for peanuts a few years back, but it was a 1.8.

• Like 1