Digital SLR help

sl114

I use a 20d and a 30d and a handful for L series lenses (got the bug) looking to buy a 1d MKIIn shortly.

I'm lusting for some L series lense atm, but my GF found out how much they cost, so I'm banned from spending money on lenses for now. Have to make do with buying parts for the car instead :lol:

• 1 month later...
Whats an f stop?

disclaimer: I'm not a professional photographer so any inaccuracies, please correct me!

FStop is a measure of the amount of light let onto the film by the lens/aperture. The larger the fstop value, the smaller the aperture and hence the amount of light let onto the film, and vice versa. Fstop also affects/reflects your depth of field, since the smaller an aperture is, the greater the depth of field is in your photo's. So if you'd like to for example take a photo and want the background close behind it to blur out of focus, you want a short depth of field. To achieve that you want to use a large aperture to reduce your depth of field, and thus you need to use a small fstop. That would in turn imply needing to use a higher shutter speed than with a bigger f-stop to keep the exposure correct. In simple terms, small fstops correspond to small/short depths of field and large apertures (requiring faster shutter speeds), while large fstops corresponds to large/deep depths of field and small apertures (requiring slower shutter speeds.)

goin back on topic.... ;)

I have been following this thread... and reading some reviews in mags... and 2 days ago...went out and bought a Canon 400D with kit lens 18-55...

At this point I have to say that I only know what that button on the top right hand side does...it goes click and takes photos... :blush:

Next i am enrolling on a course to learn how to use it and hope by October Wales meet I will have learned at least 10 out of the other (thousands?)options that it seems to have...

:yahoo: