Upper plenum paint job

JoKeR

Sorry to post it again - but compared to what it was like, I think my one looks oky doky now I gave it a quick clean and wrinkle finish paint (no primer, just a few coats).

I'll do the bolts when Torqen has a kit sorted :thumbs:

IMAG0662_zps1tgilew5.jpg

Edited by RobPhoboS

anything to look out for when taking the plenum off? is there any gaskets that need replacing etc?

Nothing that requires replacing, very easy to do - BUT - the bolts need to be removed and installed in a specific order, and at a specific torque. So having a low-torque torque wrench is advised, I bought a Sealey STW1012 for these sort of jobs.

Look at page 16 onwards here:

http://www.nicoclub....e/2004.5/em.pdf

I didn't disconnect the throttle body from the upper collector, just masked everything up properly, easy peasy :thumbs:

Worth getting a can of carb cleaner, spray it on, wipe it down then use something like a sanding sponge type of thing just to give the outer surface a bit of a rub down. Finally spray it down again with the carb cleaner and wipe it with a clean cloth.

Edited by RobPhoboS

If you want it chrome you might as well have it polished. Chrome paints unless you hydro chrome like DarrenB did look a bit naff.

Also when you get your torque wrench make sure you test it first. I thankfully did when I did mine years back and it snapped the bolt when set to the correct torque. It was B&Q crap like but you never can be too careful!

yeah when i was doing my spark plugs i tested a friends torque wrench on one of the other bolts (not that important) and it snapped it :(

where can i get a low torque torque wrench from?

44-61 inch lbs is that right? so should i aim for 50 inch lbs? whats that in ft lbs?

im confused by the installation on that PDF lol haha im usually good with understanding instructions.

Have a look around ebay. Draper tools are pretty good.. On the subject of the plenum removal my biggest challenge was the lower right throttle body allen bolt. Hard to get too unless you have a allen key socket. Wont get in there with an allen key alone. Aside from that it was an easy job and I am a self taught mechanic going through mechanic puberty..

If you've got the money bud (as you seem a little shy of the more obscure sockets!) get this from hellfrauds......covers most things that you'll need (aside from a torque wrench) and has a lifetime guarantee

Especially if you fancy having a crack at other jobs.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/tools-diy/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-professional-200-piece-socket-and-ratchet-spanner-set

Should i get acid etch primer for this? Or is that not recommended?

Yes mate. If you're ever painting bare metal you need to etch prime it first so the paint will adhere.

If you can bud try and avoid using 1k rattle cans..........if for no better reason than to protect me from the highly unlikely even that at one point in a decades time you might ask me to re-paint it and I'll be forced to kill you if it's got 1k paint on it!

To do GLRNET (Graham's) plenum we followed this process (however we are a bodyshop and use 2k paints through HVLP spray guns):

- sandblast

- etch

- high build primer

- wet flat

- base

- clear

- flat/polish as required

It's a bloody tricky job to do with cans. I'd be tempted to advise unless you're getting it done professionally use something like the VHT as recommended above.

You'll be fighting reactions, incompatible paints, at least 4 different types of rattle can at about a tenner a chuck (etch, primer, base, clear) trying to do a 'normal' paint job.