Rockys Zed abuse!

Rocky4510

This wont be nothing special as im not planning on doing any heavy mods, but I thought I'd make a thread to keep track!

A little bit about my past motors:

My prevous cars was a e46 330ci - loved it to bits. It was Remapped at 245bhp and had an angeleye/xenon conversion, LED tail lights, replica 19" m3 alloys, lowered, induction kit and a remus exhaust with resonator delete which sounded awesome and popped like crazy!:

IMG_0123_zpsbce2d8eb.jpg

030_zps8c857331.jpg

029_zps1564175c.jpg

th_IMG_0099_zps9cacff54.jpg

^ The last one is a link to a poor video of the exhaust, this was before the resonator delete unfortunatly :(

I would probably still be driving this car now if it wasnt for my missus attempting to drive it, she stalled it in 2nd gear (cringe!) and knocked the crack shaft sensor massivly out of place :( I spent a lot of money on mechanics not knowing what they were doing and gave up, so I sold it stupidly cheap as 'needed repair' and started looking for a 2.0 golf until I come across a nice Zed. So i found this:

038_zpsd96f4c39.jpg

039_zps4fbfa318.jpg

MK4 Golf 2.3L GTi V5 - obviously slower than the BM, but was an impressive little car for the price. Didnt do much to it other than another resonator delete, 18" alloys and KnN air filter.

Enjoyed this car a lot until i found my Zed.

My mate introduced me to the Zeds, as soon as i started reading into them i knew that would be my next car.. I soon had a mess around on Forza 4 and this is how i pictured my future Zed to be: :lol:

230_zpsf34ecfff.jpg

231_zps695636b9.jpg

234_zpsb74d0c71.jpg

And this is what i got!: (pics are from the ad i brought it off)

IMG_1847_zps2df1a5c4.png

IMG_1850_zps821a9630.png

IMG_1851_zpsae0fbcb7.png

53 plate UK GT with 72k on the clock which needed a little TLC

completly standard other than clear reflectors and a carbon bumper cover under the grill

small hole in the exhaust,

knocking from underneath (I believed it was the drop links),

squeaky belts, needed replacing,

corrosion to certian bits underneath.

Other than that the car was in good nick and heres how it started:

The day i brought it, my valentines day present to myself :D

IMG_1864_zpsc62dbc4b.jpg

Got the car back home, other than the annoying knocking noises i had allready fallen in love with it! Decided to underseal a lot of the underneath for a little more protection because of the corrosion and also putty'd up the hole in the exhaust until i found a new one to buy.

Ordered a fresh pair of rear drop links as they were badly worn, kinda wish i went for a more heavy duty set but these will do for now i guess! I was hopeing and praying that this would sort the knocking from the rear, unfortunatly it didnt do nothing :( however im sure they needed changing

IMG_1964_zps155ec3d9.jpg

A pic of her and my dads 330ci :)

IMG_1965_zps8b6d35db.jpg

Checked the air filter and it was in a bit of a state, so i replaced it with a standard panel filter until i can find a nice induction kit for it

Brought a full LED set from cs2000 on here:

Before and after headlight

IMG_1937_zps8e52676b.jpg

IMG_1935_zpse96c9487.jpg

IMG_1932_zps5ad8af6e.jpg

Boot light before:

IMG_1930_zps7e52939d.jpg

After:

IMG_1931_zps45c46be2.jpg

Number plate fitted and front plate holder removed :)

Changed the spark plugs and belts for a piece of mind, was dreading changing the plugs but they werent half as bad as i thought they would be to change! Gave the engine bay a nice clean after this job

I've always been a massive fan of black alloys so I decided to give mine a spray Satin black, they turned out quite nicely! Only sprayed one side of the car at the moment as we were lacking time. However this is my first time in spraying alloys, so if they start to chip etc fast then ill do the right thing and get them powdercoated, but im happy with them for now. Door handles to be sprayed black soon also! (just need to sort out the center caps)

IMG_1966_zpsf50ec6a3.jpg

IMG_1967_zps73bbac54.jpg

IMG_1976_zpsf94f29fa.jpg

Quickly tinted the small rear windows, this was also my first time tinting. Turned out ok so i think ill try giving the rear window a go myself once i buy a heat gun!

With my dads help we changed the front door speakers to some vibe 6.5",

Doorspeakers_zps8e5faa51.png

Had to customise a surround for them as the magnet was too big and hitting the window when it was down. Wasnt hard to do and they sounded great, a massive difference! Just needed to sort a headunit and sub+box out at this point. So i decided to have a go at making my own box, which didnt work out too well, so instead me and my dad chopped up a old twin box that i had to see if we could fit it snug behind the seats. To be fair the box turned out not so bad, but the subs that i had in there (2 x 1400w vibes 12") sounded shockinly bad for some reason! I then decided to hook up a single sub and box that i had in my old car (3000w vibe space 12"), and it sounded amazing! So the plan was to keep that installed until a later date and I'd try to make my own smaller box somehow as the box I used was in my old 330ci and a very odd shape.

Also installed my new head unit, im sure a lot of you will hate the hong kong HU lol, but I've had a couple of these and used them for years with no problems at all, they're just a bargin price with everything on them!

Recieved my Honda RDX stubby from Tarmac :D very happy with the fit, flush!

IMG_0505_zpsdfe70a0f.jpg

Also brought 2 new xenon D2S bulbs from flebay, 10k and have a more blueish tint than the standard xenon bulbs, very happy with this for a cheap mod!

Before

IMG_1991_zpsf9400db4.jpg

After (pictures doesnt really do it justice)

IMG_1992_zps29875ee9.jpg

IMG_1993_zps76cdf3e8.jpg

Another pair of 6.5" speakers for the rear

T2eC16FysE9sy0gCkcBRmfdQp9FQ60_12_zps79334c0a.jpg

Carbon air intake for the bumper.. Not very happy with this as its warped. Had a moan at the seller and they offered me a 60% refund, i just need to attempt to maybe bend it so it can fit flush:

IMG_0510_zpsf4e3168f.jpg

Edited by Rocky4510

IMG_0509_zps18af9b15.jpg

Is it a good idea to put a heatgun to it to bend it? lol.. Its just these 2 corners that seem to be warped, also the straight edge at the top isnt straight -.-

Finally got round to a new exhaust, found a new Japspeed y-pipe, center section and back box for a good price. Bit of trouble fitting it but it sounds pretty awesome. I'm waiting to take it to my mate who will hopefully get it fitting flush, it looks terrible at the moment! Thinking about getting some Berk HFCs to finish it off. Ill post a video of the sound soon

IMG_0515_zps0af4acff.jpg

At the same time as my exhaust i got the gearbox oil with a tube of molyslip done and he also fitted front and rear SuperPro ARB bushes hoping that would sort the knocking out, still didnt solve it :( but they kind of needed doing anyway. The mechanic advised me to do the front drop links as they were very worn also, if this didnt sort out the knocks then we would have to investigate further

A few random pictures:

IMG_0503_zps59866661.jpg

IMG_0504_zps5e371681.jpg

IMG_0502_zpsd4520dc8.jpg

IMG_1999_zps36af3bd2.jpg

Vibe slick A7 amp installed, needs a repaint :p

IMG_0511_zps1502183b.jpg

Thats it for now, I'll keep updating as and when. I apologise for the bad pictures, i could do with a few lessons in photography :p

This weekend wont be much, just hopefully getting the other 2 alloys sprayed finally and fitting the front drop links! (whilst having a family BBQ :D)

Future plans are

Grooved discs and pads all around,

new number plate as mine are really messy (smaller one for front bumper),

sorting out the exhaust to make it look neater,

tint rear window,

finishing and tidying the ICE.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Rocky4510

Little update on the ICE, installed the rear speakers. Was kinda dreading taking the car apart but it wasn't so bad!

mubydydu.jpg

Speakers and crossovers installed:

urazumy4.jpg

Just gotta figure out where to stick the crossovers and tweeters

epuze6ed.jpg

This is the sub I'm using, still need a new box for it!

nu3upyge.jpg

Hopefully spraying the other 2 alloys tomorrow, front drop links and neaten up the double din!

Edited by Rocky4510

not bad at all.. looks good!

How are the rear speakers?

I have changed all my ICE apart from rear speakers i need to do

They do sound great. I done the front speakers and sub first, after doing the rears they dont sound too much different, but definatly an improvement. My only problem is the bass is far too overpowering, I'm hoping to do the 'buster' mod and see if it evens things out a little

• 2 months later...

Few bits I've been up to over the last few weekends

Break discs and pads:

I went for the Kinetic discs and bembo pads after hearing good things about them. After taking off my discs it all made sence why my car felt like it as going to crumble to pieces when breaking hard at high speeds!

Inner rear discs absoutley knackered:

940_zps67dbfbcc.jpg

939_zpsadc0405e.jpg

938_zpsd19aa8f9.jpg

A may fly pokng his nose :lol:

942_zpsc8ecfafc.jpg

New ones fitted

936_zpsda13f28d.jpg

Hydrodipped rear strut platic:

My dad brought a hydrographic kit, hes basicly dipped everything in his house apart from the dog :lol: Got him to do this for me:

Using the bath cause his tank wasn't big enough lol

943_zpsac518803.jpg

944_zpsed494042.jpg

Sorted out the carbon air intake, just took off the rusty old screws and used self tappers which brought it to the bumper properly and closed the gap! Ill be painting the tappers in black soon:

127_zps2c7cf841.jpg

Greedy inducton kit installed, sounds wicked. Makes a loud "tssst" when you accelerate as it sucks in the air :) (No picture yet)

New sub box

This is the new box we built for my 12" 3000w vibe:

035_zpsddc188d4.jpg

036_zps821a03fa.jpg

037_zpsdc5d538e.jpg

118_zps51b051df.jpg

Gold/bronze lug nuts:

I wasnt sure on these as they looked gold in the pics, but it turns out they are a great match to the body work! I have a couple of sets of these for sale which ill post up soon. Still need to spray the center caps though

136_zpsc9de549d.jpg

138_zps9f7d30ab.jpg

Tinted rear window:

Again, DIY with my dad and a heat gun. Couple of small bubbles but turned out nicely :)

132_zpsf188e388.jpg

144_zpsc1c98a5e.jpg</p>

Next to be sorted is new banana arms, spray center caps, coilovers and spacers.Thanks for reading

Edited by Rocky4510
  • Like 2

Great work really coming along nicely. B)

Did you lacquer the rear strut brace cover after dipping or just leave it as it was? Looks good either way. :thumbs:

Cheers guys. I didn't lacquer it straight after, but I took it off a week later and lacquered it, so in the first pic it's not, but it's got a couple of coats on in the picture with the sub in lol

Sent from Tapatalk