Nurburgruing and surrounding area in August - Photos ADDED!

Zzzz...

OK I know it is probably not the best time for it, but on the 6th of August I'll be crossing over to mainland and heading for the ring' . Actually me and the missus will be staying in Cologne (100km north), and then drive down to Nurburgring on the 7th and 8th and 9th for the public open times (17:00 to 19:00)... to have a look around and see what the fuss is all about...

Apart from the fact it is going to be Tourist-Hell... any other hints and tips for the Green-Hell?

During the mornings and early afternoons we'll do a bit of sightseeing for the missus...and of course check out Cologne

Also any suggestions for good places to visit in the Eifel Region (I have seen VAL's report and we defo' going to that castle...)

On the way back we thought of coming via Bruges in Belgium... Is this worth it? or is there any better places to go between Cologne and Calais?

pax lap ?

what ? like hitch-hiking, but a lot quicker? :p

My captain sensible head says that jumping onto someone elses car who you don't know, and you know he's going to cane it, on a car that you don't know in what state it is... does not seem like a safe idea...

however I am going to try and get into one of those taxis, hopefully with a nice gentle woman driver ;)

After that I might be converted to Beemers...

Re: Bruges, went there last weekend. If you want to stay in a relaxed historic town with great food, beer and wine then yes, stop there. The place has a lot of character and is OK for shopping and sight seeing too if you want to. I'd reccomend it. :thumbs:

Cool that's what i was hoping from Bruge...

By the way i saw on a website that belgium requires a fire extinguiser in the car as a compulsory item...

did you take a fire extinguisher?, and do you know if it is actually compulsory?

Cool that's what i was hoping from Bruge...

By the way i saw on a website that belgium requires a fire extinguiser in the car as a compulsory item...

did you take a fire extinguisher?, and do you know if it is actually compulsory?

Take a look at my post about Calais and surrounding area, there's a link to a site saying what you need. I didn't take one and don't think you need one. :)

Thanks for the advice guys...

I tried finding some place in Adenau and places locally but all seemed booked, and I have to keep the missus happy so that's why we settled on staying on Cologne.

I definetely need english speaking ( In germany I am the type that if they don't understand when I speak english... I say it a bit LOUDER and S L O W E R ... :blush::p:teeth:

I tried finding some place in Adenau and places locally but all seemed booked, and I have to keep the missus happy so that's why we settled on staying on Cologne.

I definetely need english speaking ( In germany I am the type that if they don't understand when I speak english... I say it a bit LOUDER and S L O W E R ... :blush::p:teeth:

Ou of interest where are you staying in Cologne? (I'm thinking parking really!)

We are doing a ring trip early september and we've booked a couple of nights in Koblenz, with a plan to move North over a few days.

If you see a Swiss plated roadster flying up the outside lane (where you can...) during your Germany visit give it a wave, it might be me, as I'm frequently up and down the A61 autobahn! :teeth:

Oh, and careful where there's a speed limit on the autobahn. Last time I was in Germany I managed 3 fines and 7 points.... in one day!!! Fortunately they only register the points in Germany though and not on your licence. Fines were no fun though.... :blush:

We stayed at the blaue ecke in Adenau. In the new part of the hotel. Great hotel, not so great parking, but you can park next to the church, which is just out the back of the hotel.

Some nice restaurants around in Adenau too. Not to far from the entrance and if you fancy a 30 min walk its walking distance to Breidscheid (good viewing point just to watch folk driving round, or test cars on any closed days).

You will love it. :)

I'll be taking my Skyline to the ring 5-9th August for the BMW driving school course. I've been twice to the ring already this year and it's getting really addictive and really expensive. The course books you time on the north loop and the GP circuit which is pretty good.

Details of the course here:- http://www.fahrerlehrgang.info/version_en.html

If you see a couple of silver skylines in the car park come say hello.

Jules

Looks like I might be able to go that weekend of Aug 3rd... g/f just managed to move her "go live" date (some work thing) so now for some detailed planning.

She's never been... need to check:

* Which dates/times are open to public

* Hotel (I fancy staying somewhere different than Bad Munstereiffel for a change)

* Chunnel

* Umbrella

* Flask

* Spare underpants

:lol:

Looks like I might be able to go that weekend of Aug 3rd... g/f just managed to move her "go live" date (some work thing) so now for some detailed planning.

She's never been... need to check:

* Which dates/times are open to public

* Hotel (I fancy staying somewhere different than Bad Munstereiffel for a change)

* Chunnel

* Umbrella

* Flask

* Spare underpants

:lol:

You forgot the bike clips :p

Ou of interest where are you staying in Cologne? (I'm thinking parking really!)

We are doing a ring trip early september and we've booked a couple of nights in Koblenz, with a plan to move North over a few days.

I am going to be staying in

The Jolly Hotel ( No really ... it is called like this...)

Jolly Hotels Deutschland GmbH

Im Mediapark 8 B

50670 Köln

0221 2715

http://maps.google.de/maps?q=Jolly%20Ho ... oc=A&iwd=1

SwissZ and Hulahoop, if I spot you I will say hello,

I am getting a little bit excited now...

some advice...

i am down to 4 mm on the RR tyres and plan do drive to nurburg and do half a dozen laps if I can fit them in ... The thing is they are my michelins which I love.... and trust...

otherwise I would fit nearly new bridgestones with rays alloys which I got from Paul this Friday...

Basically will my michelins make the trip ? or do you think it might be cutting it a little too thin?

• 2 weeks later...

well I made it there and back in one piece...

ferry crossing to calais was easy and completely hassle free.

IMGP2722.jpg

I took the Lille>Charleroy->Liege->Aachen->Koln route to get there and from Bedford to Koln including the ferry 1.5 hour crossing, and hour stop in Charleroy for lunch, we got there in 8 hours flat obeying all speed limits (in the continent 100%... oh yes...and the in UK of course...)

Following day spent in Koln until 15:00 and then headed to the'ring...for 17:00 public open time... After stocking up at the fan shop IMGP2757.jpg

and the petrol station (much cheaper...)

... we went to the starting point... only to find Sarnie's car...and a few other interesting cars...IMGP2772.jpg:p

IMGP2773.jpg

the weather was wet. and not particularly good... and after a few tries my best time in the wet was 12.5 minutes... this is only after a few runs...not great... but I was scared enough :headhurt: and the car needs a good rest after each couple of runs...everything "smells" too hot ( clutch brakes and the exhaust was "pinging" away nicely)

The following day went driving around the Eifel Region and checked koblenz :dry: , Berg Eltz :thumbs: , nurburg, and adenau :thumbs:

IMGP2807.jpg

(good call VAL, :thumbs: , but should have mentioned the vertical descent and climb to get to it...)

later that day we went to observe the ring for a bit...by this time we spotted sarnie slightly "paler" after being round the ring ( I guess he found it scary as well) :p:p:p:p

IMGP2785.jpg

The day was sh!t, and it started pouring and the fog got worse so in the end gave up on the idea on going on the ring and doing 50kph round it... it was crap.crap.crap weather :yuck:

Anyway.. i was a bit gutted of not having more time on the ring...but drove back to koln through some of the best b roads I have ever been on... very cool... :thumbs:

After this headed towards brugge and calais for a few days etc.. and back

Overall

Weather :yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck:

The Ring :scare:

Germany :thumbs:

Belgium :thumbs:

Beer :thumbs:

Autobahn (derestricted) B) (125+mph)

and finally the only 2 zeds spotted... in Koln only

IMGP2747.jpg

IMGP2865.jpg

Thanks for all the advice... and can't wait for the next trip to the continent... :yahoo:

The weather is always very variable isn't it... whenever I go it can, in one day, go from thunder and downpour to 30C heat, allowing one to steam nicely.

Good pics, mate, glad you got to go round it - first time? The Z is good I think, perhaps a bit tail slippy. I went round in my mates M3 and that seemed much grippier to me, but then again it could have been his better driving :surrender:

We both went around in the wet and I was driving like Miss Daisy whereas he bombed it round with three other blokes in it. Have not been that frightened since going on that Pepsi Cola Big One @ Blackpool in the 80s...