What gives a forum it's identity..?

Kuro

Odd question, but go with it... :)

I'm a member (a sad one too!) of a few forums, and each seems to have it's own identity, and I'm just wondering what the basis of that identity is?

Where does it come from, is it the steering group, is it the members?

For me this forum represents:

1. Honesty

2. Community

3. Down to earth approach

It represents a good place to be, where I think members can ask any question they like, without feeling dumb, or stupid in any way.

Here's to the forum :thumbs:

K. Waiting for an eBay auction to end, and no, I don't drink :D

I'm a member of Scoobynet as well as this one and the two sites are as far apart as could be in tone. Scoobynet, at times, can be hostile / rude whereas this site is a lot more friendly and classy. There are no distinct trolls / troublemakers on here (well, none that I know) whereas those of you who know Scoobynet know there are one or two on there.

So...maybe its the cars!! :teeth:

Think the moderaters shape the characterisation of each forum, and according to their own characters so the forum will follow. If the moderator is crude, then he will allow crude comments, if he is honest then this will recipricate to any members to do likewise. :thumbs:

Thanks lads for comments......

This place has a very welcoming humourous nature and thats what made me stay and also end up organising meets and being asked to moderate.

I think personally the moderation here is light where we have to try to keep topics on topic but try to let a little bit of humour and banter pass. Its hard keeping the right balance as I know some of you find hard to understand....

For me its the members that makes the forum......... anyone abusive or offensive is dealt with in a respectful manner.

But agree what you say about honesty on here! :thumbs:

This is the only forum I have ever been a member on and I have to say I enjoy it immensely. There is just a fantastic range of subjects covered as well as my favorite of all subjects , the wonderful Z. I would imagine that in actual fact the type of car the forum is regarding will in many ways dictate the tone of the forum. I cant imagine a Bentley forum being much fun, equally a Nova forum wouldn't have too many words with more than 2 syllables - init ?

:D:D:D:D

Thanks lads for comments......

This place has a very welcoming humourous nature and thats what made me stay and also end up organising meets and being asked to moderate.

I think personally the moderation here is light where we have to try to keep topics on topic but try to let a little bit of humour and banter pass. Its hard keeping the right balance as I know some of you find hard to understand....

For me its the members that makes the forum......... anyone abusive or offensive is dealt with in a respectful manner.

But agree what you say about honesty on here! :thumbs:

nicely put +1 :thumbs:

I would imagine that in actual fact the type of car the forum is regarding will in many ways dictate the tone of the forum.

Thats what I meant in my post!! :teeth:

just been browsing a Jag forum and they are all worried about the Government proposing a ban on drivers over the age of 70 :teeth:

just been browsing a Jag forum and they are all worried about the Government proposing a ban on drivers over the age of 70 :teeth:

Ha ha ..... I bet you only go over there so they'll call you a whippersnapper! ;)

feel positively in my first flush of youth over there B)

I think people also try and stay a bit objective and seem to remember there's a human at the other end. Only on a few occasions has it ever got public and people explain their actions when doing it.

Agree about the mods setting the tone and that does follow. People just seem to be intelligent, ehich in my opinion is no surprise given the well thought choice in car! :D

not with ya seventies goatie :teeth:
Its those personal, hurtful taunts that make me upset. lol.

On a serious note, this is by far the best forum i have ever been on and it is all down to the members, moderators and admin who make it what it is. I am always more than happy to contribute where and when i can.

On another note - i just want to say well done to the admin and mods for all the work they put into this site. Its not easy running a forum and I for one appreciate everything that you do for it.

Now back to the whoring...

Like other people on here I'm a member of a few different forums and still moderate on a peugeot forum where I've made lasting friendships with people I still spend time with (like FCS last weekend). I think this forum has the balance just right, it's large enough to have the knowledge and answers to questions but not too large so you don't get to know people and can't be bothered trawling through all the posts. It's also one of the most friendly I've come across and the least like a dating agency. There's a distinct lack of women but that might be down to the type of car being more popular with men?

I think there are a few reasons to the success of this forum...

- Mods and Admin control the site well

- Normally the same people on here all the time, all willing to help

- The majority of the age group of people is not that of snotty nosed teenagers due to the car itself i.e. insurance, cost of ownership etc....

:thumbs: