Tyres

paulp4als

yea anything like that and im not saying mpss are @*!# just im seeing all these professional international drifters going into corners at 100mph sideways and putting the cars where they want time after time on tyres like feredal maxxis kenda falken etc and never once does any one here them say they need more grip or more control, there putting there cars inches from each other with loads of confidence in there tyre

not thats its going to mean alot to people but possibly the world #1 drifter Daigo Saito runs Achillies tyres on all his competition cars

Edited by StevoD

to quote Vaughn Gittin JR "If you dont have confidence in your tyre you have nothing" NItto tyres drift team

unlike the cars you see drifting in the uk like santa pod etc were style is 90% the cars run excessive camber etc to fit there "gangsta" fitment wheels, you look at a pro Formula Drift/ Drift muscle/ BDC/ Allstars car there set up to prove as much grip as possible, you do steer with the throttle but if you dont have grip you cant if that make sense :wacko:

seriously qualifying is live now http://www.formulad.com/live/ look at what tyres some of the pros are running and what there doing with them

TBH I think many modern cars have too much grip, which means you have to be going much quicker to have fun. There's a lot to be said for having a bit less grip and just driving a bit more slowly while still having fun. Obviously this doesn't apply if you're competing and faster is always better.

Of course that doesn't mean you should buy Teflon tyres, as there's a trade off with everything. But as long as the tyres are communicative and progressive when they start to let go, I believe you don't need to have the ultimate grip available at all times.

No, you're absolutely right, it's why I deliberately put awful tyres on the MX-5. There's a lot to be said for having low grip limits on a car with naff-all power.

Funny you should mention that. A mate of mine recently bought an old MX-5 as a toy and to take on drift days etc. It has an LSD fitted and rather crappy tyres, I took it for a spin and what a hoot to drive! You can get the back end out with very little effort, at low speeds, and it's very easy to control. Feels a bit like a slow motion version of the back end stepping out on the Z.

This topic reminds me of a Chris Harris video where he put four space saver wheels on an AMG Mercedes then drifted it around a track! Extreme example, but he was proving the point of how less can be more where driving enjoyment is concerned.

Edited by pmorg4

• 2 weeks later...

Tyreleader have the MPSS for the rear at £150 & pennies today so 2 ordered, fitting not included in that.

Thats really cheap.

I currently have ditchfinders on my 350 as fitted by the wonderful garage I bought it from I'm considering buying a set and putting them on the credit card!

This represents a big change for me but at that price!!

Been a Vredstein devotee for years now, so hope I've done the right thing having been swayed by opinions on here.

Heh ho, as they say in Yokrshire, it'll be right.

Just in case anyone is cautious re Tyreleader, came in at £301 for the 2 rear MPSS, ordered over bank hol w/e, shipped from Netherlands & delivered to a back street dive in Bradford in 3 days. Good service.