Question (with video) About Base model clusters

Chromatic

I'd imagine that all clusters contain the same lights. Wouldn't really make sense for Nissan to have different clock clusters just for the sake of a few lights that can or can not be illuminated depending on the level of spec you have.

My main concern would be that your steering wheel is on the wrong side of your Zee :stir::teeth:

Hard to say whether they'll light up really tbh. Unless they receive a signal from the cruise control somehow then I guess they won't do squat.

Mine do light up but then I have cruise control on the steering wheel of my UK Zed as it is standard on the GT models, which mine is.

Are you changing the steering wheel to one like the below with the cruise control on it already or fitting some type of aftermarket add on kit?

369_0511_1z+2006_Nissan_350Z+Interior_View_Steering_Wheel.jpg

I'd imagine that all clusters contain the same lights. Wouldn't really make sense for Nissan to have different clock clusters just for the sake of a few lights that can or can not be illuminated depending on the level of spec you have.

My main concern would be that your steering wheel is on the wrong side of your Zee :stir::teeth:

Well,.. I thought the same.. but then that's not true. Because some clusters have the Traction control and some other various lights.. that are NOT on my base cluster.

So it makes sense they'd print all the clusters the same regardless.. but they don't.. some have X some have Y and some Z.. I still think once I flash over to cruise there just aren't LED's back there and cruise won't light up.

Which is why I asked.. appreciate the speculation,.. I imagine there only a few dozen people who actually truly know as most don't know the first thing about how the Base Z's have Cruise wired up in them from the factory and getting it to work is very simple.

Hard to say whether they'll light up really tbh. Unless they receive a signal from the cruise control somehow then I guess they won't do squat.

Mine do light up but then I have cruise control on the steering wheel of my UK Zed as it is standard on the GT models, which mine is.

Are you changing the steering wheel to one like the below with the cruise control on it already or fitting some type of aftermarket add on kit?

I'm flashing my ECU to a higher trim.. which will enable cruise.

Cruise and the controls are standard on all models except the Base.. (really poor form by Nissan to not include what is really , now, a standard feature on a 30-40k car).

No, I'm not changing the steering wheel out. The Base models are no different than the higher models in this respect. They have all the wiring in them ready to go. I buy the buttons from Nissan ($50) for both the Volume (radio controls on one side) and the Cruise buttons (on the other side) and there is a plug in there by the airbag that plugs right in to the factory parts and it's ready to go. (You also buy the clutch and brake switches so it knows when to cut cruise off).. Other than that you just flash the ROM file to a non base trim (doesn't matter which trim you choose).. and the car now has cruise just like all the rest, operated with the same buttons and same wiring.

So anyone getting a tune done anyways who has a base model should spend the $100-$150 in parts for switches, and buttons as the cruise flash is a free part of the tune from Uprev. Plus it makes switching between your 5 Tuned maps much easier as you use the cruise buttons to do so. ;)

Example.. These are the buttons I have.. They light up as well ;) -- But are just factory Nissan buttons:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/25550n-switch-assy-steering-350z-z33-2006-centhusiatouringtrackgt-roadster-2007-centhusiatrack-roadster-p-614760.html?cPath=714_715_751_755&

25550-Z33005_1.jpg

25550-Z33005_2.jpg

Have no idea tbh then but hope they do work for you.

If they don't then hopefully it will be something simple like install some new dashboard bulbs and away you go. :)

I think they are LEDs and not bulbs so not so simple.

I have a set of clusters from a non GT (base model) JDM. I have taken these apart down to circuit board level and although the solder pads are in position there are no LED's on the board neither are there cruse windows in the dial face.

I have populated this board with LED's and plugged it into a UK GT car but the LED's did not illuminate although the cruse still worked.

Don't know if this is relevant to your situation but its more info for you anyway.

I'm doing the same thing with my '07 base model, I researched into it and although the base models may have the cruise and set with working led's they will NOT light up even once you have the cruise steering wheel buttons, the two extra pedal switches and the GT flash on the ECU but the cruise function WILL still work - it's just whether you want them to light up or are happy with no lights.

The only way to get them to light up is to get a GT HVAC/cluster, but then you need to get the mileage to match or get it changed which I think only Nissan can do (I might be wrong) and then they will only 'add' miles.

Saying this though, all the gen I found on the subject was from pre facelift models, so maybe our 313's have the capability already but who knows.

Edited by Scully

I have a set of clusters from a non GT (base model) JDM. I have taken these apart down to circuit board level and although the solder pads are in position there are no LED's on the board neither are there cruse windows in the dial face.

I have populated this board with LED's and plugged it into a UK GT car but the LED's did not illuminate although the cruse still worked.

Don't know if this is relevant to your situation but its more info for you anyway.

Can you clarify.. "there are no LED's on the board neither are there cruse windows in the dial face." -- Do you mean on these boards they did not have the Cruise and Set lettering like my video shows on my cluster?

Thanks

I'm doing the same thing with my '07 base model, I, but then you need to get the mileage to match or get it changed which I think only Nissan can do (I might be wrong) and then they will only 'add' miles.

True.. I've done my homework on how to get it all done via mileage change etc.. I've found a place here in the states I called and emailed, that will change my mileage for $30.. Which is VERY reasonable compared to all the other places that wanted $200+.. I'm a bit hesitant now because to swap guts you have to remove needles, and re positioning the needles isn't an exact science.

Oh, and I've heard the "only nissan" thing as well.. and perhaps it's just this place I contacted.. but they only require a form from the Dept. of Motor Vehicles showing a mileage change and they will adjust up or down. Obviously, a used cluster is usually going to be higher than your mileage.. at least in my case with now 28k miles.. If I found a cluster with say 30k miles.. I would just wait until I was close to 30k and swap it in... but finding the right 7500 rpm red line HR cluster with the right mileage is like finding a needle in a haystack. I've only found one HR cluster and it's $225 + shipping.. The parts dealers want $400+ for used clusters.. and Nissan wants $700 for a new cluster. So it's certainly something to shop around for.. I'm not in any hurry to spend any more than $100-$150 for a used cluster for 2 lights.

Edited by Chromatic

Talk to Bob at Gaugecraft

He will tell you all you need to know about 350z clusters.

http://www.gaugecraf...conversion.html

Way ahead of you there.. Spoken to Bob weeks ago,.. for my needs his prices are a bit high as I'm not looking for anything different than factory,. and just programming I have $30 or his price which is considerably more than that.

I was just curious if my cluster was *supposed* to have the Cruise and Set on it like it shows in the video being a Base model.