URGENT - anyone with an OBD reader who can use it!?

waltzinblack

Hi guys,

Bit of a cry for help here - car went into limp mode last night after one full throttle overtake... Have no idea what it could be.

Anyone close to Hertford-ish who has and OBD reader to diagnose the fault? I understand turning the engine off/ECU reset can get out of limp mode but really need to diagnose the problem as will almost certainly need the car this week!

Please someone help a zedder in need! Lunch can be provided for your troubles!

Many thanks

You can read the fault code manualy.

There is a guide in the Stickies part of the Guides sub forum. It has the pedal dance needed to put the car into ECU diagnostics.

The sequence of indicator flashes gives you the code number. You then compare that number to the list.

1. Put the car into “ON†without the engine started (hit the ignition button twice without having your foot on the brake)

2. Wait 3 seconds for the car to do a systems check (you know this is done when all the lights except your service engine light go off)

3. Do 5 full accelerator press and releases in 5 seconds (floor your car 5 times in 5 seconds)

4. Wait 7 seconds.

5. Floor the accelerator again, and hold it there for 10 seconds (approx).Your service engine light will turn off.

6. When the light turns off, take your foot off the pedal, and get ready to count.

At this point, the service engine light will start blinking.It will give you a 4 digit code – the first number will flash slowly, followed by a slight pause, the next three numbers will flash quickly, all with a pause in the middle.10 flashes means a number “0.â€So if your car blinked 10 times, then 4, then 4, then 2 again, you would have a code of “0442,†which is your gas cap thing.Other codes can be determined by looking at a OBD II code reference sheet.

thanks guys - sorry I get very worried when things go wrong and go into panic mode and dont think straight to look at the guides! slap on the wrist for me :(

It would appear, after many tries, that the code it's throwing up is P1122 - throttle control actuator

th_IMG_1012.jpg

Guess I'll be PMing Alex!

Bloody limp mode on this car is a nightmare.

I've had it twice in a year now and both times for different things. Each time the garage hasn't been able to fault the car and it's worked fine again after a ECU reset.

Constantly driving around expecting it to happen at any minute is no fun :angry:

Thanks Steve - but the wisdom of the forum means I think I will be alright now!

I will try cleaning the throttle body, as far as I remember its 1 jubilee clip to get your intake off and then pretty simple! Presumably this stuff is good http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_202903_langId_-1_categoryId_255221

But say that cures the problem.. and then it comes back - is there any easy way now to diagnose/test if there is an actual problem?