Cloudy carbon

pallett

Upon purchasing my Z it had a carbon bonnet, spoiler and front lip, but the spoiler and bonnet were in good condition but quite cloudy in places from UV damage over the years. I visited my local detailing shop (midlands car care) to ask what there advice would be on the matter, they told me i should be able to cut the lacquer back a little to reduce the cloudyness using my DA polisher, so i purchased a few recomended products from them and set about having a go as i figured worst case scenario means i have to get them relacquered.

I thought id test it out on the spoiler blade as it was simple to remove and allowed me get it easily under cover out of the poor weather.

I started out by claying the spoiler to remove any surface contaminants, and then once dry used a soft pad and auto finesse tripple on the DA.

This was the first section after a quick pass compared to the original finish ( the cloudyness seemed a lot worse after claying )

2014-02-02%2017.35.57_zpsjwvtqw8p.jpg

2014-02-02%2017.36.51_zpsvn79mweo.jpg

2014-02-02%2017.37.35_zpsakqvkxuv.jpg

20140202_170127_zpsewk85odw.jpg

I then did the rest of the spoiler but could really have done with using a harsher compound and pad as it still has a little hazyness left.

20140202_170923_zpsa8h3im05.jpg

Next up is the bonnet although i think relacquering may still be the best option for the best finish.

I think you may struggle for a re-lacquer. If you have clouding the best and only way is to polish it out. If its deep then its game over I'd say.

You've done a grand job with what you're doing so just take your time and results will flourish.

Relacquer is easy if you have patience and take your time.

Redid my bonnet, all you need is 1200 grit, 2000grit, UV resistant lacquer, rubbing compound and lots and lots of patience

Using a DA polisher was the start of my woes with CF. Have since learnt that when detailing CF just do it by hand.

When working CF with a DA and compound, you don't have the fine feel of your fingers to feel how much you may be taking off. Once you expose CF fibre, it's game over, unless you can find a place nearby that does CF work/repairs with resin.

Edited by BulletMagnet

Redid my bonnet, all you need is 1200 grit, 2000grit, UV resistant lacquer, rubbing compound and lots and lots of patience

Using a DA polisher was the start of my woes with CF. Have since learnt that when detailing CF just do it by hand.

When working CF with a DA and compound, you don't have the fine feel of your fingers to feel how much you may be taking off. Once you expose CF fibre, it's game over, unless you can find a place nearby that does CF work/repairs with resin.

How did you re-lacquer, rattle can??

How did you re-lacquer, rattle can??

Yeah, used rattlecans did a thread about it and all ;)

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/72232-cf-bonnet-refresh-no2/