Help with wheels?

TiN TiN

I will let the tyre gurus confirm but I don't think you can run 40 profile on 18s. Well you can but you will think you are doing 30mph when your doing 40 :lol:

When going 30 it will say you're going 28.893mph. A 40 profile on the rear will put the speedo out by -3.69% so not a huge amount at all.

Why are they staggered as standard? What difference will it make to the handling if I put non staggered wheels on?

T/C will kick in a lot more.

No it won't. A staggered set up means that as the fronts are narrower, they instinctively want to stay there, in the front. It's designed so that any billy can drive the car safely. Bearing in mind that if you don't have rays alloys you have a square set up anyway, I don't think it's going to affect the tcs, abs or any other safety system at all.

The Zeds TCS is twitchy. It's been known for it to become overactive when running same width wheels all round.

Having said that, generally people who have done that have an incorrect tyre size too which completely confuses the TCS.

swap the rears for 245/40/18 and you'll be right as rain. It will affect the handling as a lower profile than normal will mean less compliance from the tyres over uneven roads, but you'll also have slightly less sidewall flex when turning in to corners, so the car will change direction marginally better.

lower profile tyres will also affect the speedo, when the speedo reads 30mph, you'll actually be going 28.9 mph. however, the car will be a tiny bit quicker to accelerate as the lower tyre circumference will effectively change the final drive ratio.

lastly, the zeds tcs is designed such that the rear wheels are rotating slower than the fronts (on standard size the rear wheels have a larger circumference). if you run identical tyres front and rear the car will think the rears are spinning faster than they should be, so might trigger the traction control.

Does anyone know what the ET35 and the 8J are?

tumblr_lv312kPkuk1r3x7i2o1_500.jpg

Alright smartypants, what does 'ET' actually stand for, and what does the 'J' refer to? :p

ET, whilst I'm not sure on the actual meaning of the letters themselves, is the offset of the wheel ie how close to the centre line of the alloy the mounting face is and the J is the width of the alloy itself.

It's not the fact that these weren't known, as everyone has to start somewhere, but a 30 second google would have probably provided the information far more quickly.

Edit: Also, I wasn't actually meaning it was that much of a fail, I just thought it was cool he was lord Zedd :lol:

Edited by AliveBoy

Bearing in mind that if you don't have rays alloys you have a square set up anyway,....

...but a 30 second google would have probably provided the information far more quickly.

A quick google search will also tell you that pretty much all wheels are round, not square, regardless of whether they're Rays or not :p

TiN TiN - Have you found a car then? Or just looking at wheels in anitcipation?

true google knows all! i'm just being awkward... i know offset and wheel widths no problem. the actual letters do mean something as you say - ET stands for 'Einpresstiefe' - which is german for literally 'depth of wheel' ( i had to google that :blush: ) and 'J ' refers to the actual shape of the cross section of the rim, ie the bit the tyre hooks onto. I've never heard of an automotive wheel that wasnt a 'J' though!

EDIT: for anyone that cares, im a little bit wrong... J isnt the actual shape of the tyre/wheel bead profile, its the designation of that tyre/wheel bead. Apparently there are J, JJ, K, JK, B, P and D types!

Read more: http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html#rimcontours#ixzz2sY0reU8F

Edited by brillomaster

Bearing in mind that if you don't have rays alloys you have a square set up anyway,....

...but a 30 second google would have probably provided the information far more quickly.

A quick google search will also tell you that pretty much all wheels are round, not square, regardless of whether they're Rays or not :p

THAT'S why the car rides so badly and I need so many revs to get it moving :lol:

• Like 1

I've found one I'm going to see tomorrow. If I like, I'll buy but I don't like the standard wheels on it so definitely gonna be looking to get different ones.. Think I've got a lot to learn about wheels first :-/

I've found one I'm going to see tomorrow. If I like, I'll buy but I don't like the standard wheels on it so definitely gonna be looking to get different ones.. Think I've got a lot to learn about wheels first :-/

This is what you're looking at for standards, you will want something with the same or lower offset (ET) and the same or higher alloy width (J) The tyre sizes will then either stay the same or change accordingly.

Front Size: 18" x 8.0"

Offset (ET) : + 30 mm

Tyre: 225/45/18

Rear Size: 18" x 8.5"(J)

Offset (ET): + 33 mm

Tyre: 245/45/18

Hopefully this redeems my doushebaggery :)

a while back i found a really good site that showed a 3d wheel with widths and offsets you can pick.unfortunately i cant for the life of me find it now!

however, this does the same thing in 2d form - play with the sliders and you'll soon get the jist of what offset does.

http://code.beardfu.com/wheel-offset-calculator/#wo_vis

I will let the tyre gurus confirm but I don't think you can run 40 profile on 18s. Well you can but you will think you are doing 30mph when your doing 40 :lol:

When going 30 it will say you're going 28.893mph. A 40 profile on the rear will put the speedo out by -3.69% so not a huge amount at all.

Why are they staggered as standard? What difference will it make to the handling if I put non staggered wheels on?

T/C will kick in a lot more.

No it won't. A staggered set up means that as the fronts are narrower, they instinctively want to stay there, in the front. It's designed so that any billy can drive the car safely. Bearing in mind that if you don't have rays alloys you have a square set up anyway, I don't think it's going to affect the tcs, abs or any other safety system at all.

Can't a guy exaggerate these days :lol: