Help Requiredd: Car Vin Check - Resolved.

marzman

Hi all,

I've done an HPI check for a new car im buying using the private reg plate it's currently on, but it's come back with the following:

Stolen - This registration was recorded stolen on the Police National Computer on 1 Jun 2007 by Greater Manchester Police.

I've spoken to the owner who says that it was a car of his at the time (on that private plate) that was stolen and not the car im buying.

He said if i check just the VIN it will come back fine.

The story makes sense, but i've phoned up HPI to verify this and they dont know the answer.

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience of this please?

I've also called GMP to ask them but they were unable to help me.

I've found 2 places online who check only the VIN (after 2 hours of searching) - one checks the National Criminal Insurance Database and the other checks the police databases of 13 countries (none of them UK!!) and both of these have come back clear. However neither of these have checked the Police National Computer.

Can anyone offer any advice here? If anyone can help i can PM you the VIN.

Cheers.

Edited by marzman

Also, is there anything wrong with buying a car that has been previously stolen? I always thought it was a no no but there doesnt seem to be any info on whether or not it should be reflected in the price?

Also looking on www.autocheck.co.uk which is a different site from the one i used, they say :

A vehicle's previous stolen status and when it was recovered will not be reported in your AutoCheck.

So reading this if i had used these guys it may not have been listed as stolen as it is not a current crime?

He's correct, could well be on a different car which is why you must HPI against the VIN, never against the reg.

I don't know of any HPI that would check the PNC, as they wouldn't keep any info of use. Essentially you're looking for finance outstanding or Cat recordable damage, anything else and it's a judgement call.

He's correct, could well be on a different car which is why you must HPI against the VIN, never against the reg.

I don't know of any HPI that would check the PNC, as they wouldn't keep any info of use. Essentially you're looking for finance outstanding or Cat recordable damage, anything else and it's a judgement call.

I cant find any HPI checks which check on just the VIN. The one i did allowed me to verify the VIN matches the details which were returned from the reg check, which it did.

Sorry, that's what I meant. Some just do the reg and think that's enough, when it's the VIN that has the details.

I wouldn't worry. It's a £10k 996, at this end of the market any stolen markets are meaningless as long as the car is in one piece. :)

I dont agree, a 10k car that has been previously stolen will impact on resale/price, I cant imagine anyone would not be concerned, the fact that this is the lower price range for that car doesnt matter

Is it a private seller or garage ? if private then did he actually own the car on this date is the first question

I dont agree, a 10k car that has been previously stolen will impact on resale/price, I cant imagine anyone would not be concerned, the fact that this is the lower price range for that car doesnt matter

Is it a private seller or garage ? if private then did he actually own the car on this date is the first question

Its in the middle... it's a garage but it's the owners personal car. No he didnt own the Porsche back in 2007 when the 'registration' was reported stolen.

Okay, i think im sorted. I've just done a check via HPICheck.com which is much more detailed than the MyCarCheck which i'd done first time round.

This has clarified the situation - it is listed as stolen and a total insurance loss against the VRM only, and it even states the car that the VRM was on at the time (Mitsubishi Evo - just as the seller stated).

So, im happy that the Porsche is a safe bet and that it's not got a scary history.

Phew. That was a stressful afternoon. :lol:

So, will we see you in a porker in March Chris, or you still coming shotgun with Spatt?

And is the seller selling the car with the plate, as it was the plate that rang alarm bells. If not, then and future checks on the car will be done (as you initially did) on its current reg at the time (which won't be the one with a scary past).

So, will we see you in a porker in March Chris, or you still coming shotgun with Spatt?

And is the seller selling the car with the plate, as it was the plate that rang alarm bells. If not, then and future checks on the car will be done (as you initially did) on its current reg at the time (which won't be the one with a scary past).

Good question... i think i'll still take spatt up on his offer though, for old time's sake!

The plate is not being sold with the car (well it is - but then i am to return it to him asap when the documentation comes through.)