What breathing mods and ecu would you guy recommend?

Kerry

Looking to start modifying my 54 plate Z and wondered if anyone can recommend some makes of mods I should look for, I'm thinking about the following parts but if anyone would recommend any other parts I should get then I'm all ears.

Cold air intake

Plenum spacer

Exhaust Headers

De cat

Mid pipes

Back box (don't want the car to be too loud)

Ecu

Coilovers

Front and rear camber adjusters (if there not adjustable already)

Ok ok, there a lot here, do you have a reasonable budget? Because I could send you towards some £3k coil overs or £1500 exhaust.

Also, with the breather mods, are you after power? Sound? Mix of both?

Intake - Takeda (sound and looks) OEM with velocity stack and high flow filter (power)

Plenum spacer - PM Wasso, he'll sort you out with shexay ones ;)

Headers - PITA to do, but DC seem a good mixture of quality and price, or Stillen aren't too badly priced either.

Decats - personally I think you should go for Berk High Flow Cats, they're still MOT friendly :)

Exhaust - Invidia Gemini. It's a true dual cat back, nice noise.

ECU - Stock with UpRev tune. Cheaper than a stand alone ECU and includes a few different maps.

Coilovers - HKS Hypermax, BC, Meister R, HSD.

Camber Arms - SPC/Eibach. You'll only need rear ones if you lower it more than 30mm from stock height, fronts can maybe sustain up until about 40mm drop before you need to buy adjustables.

Edited by KyleR
  • Like 2

Cheers KyleR that's great. I've got around 6k to spend and just looking for a power gain but I don't want the exhaust system to be crazy loud I've had enough of that with a civic type R I had lol.

In the future I'm looking at going down the SC route, the vortech chargers look interesting will the above mods support a SC?

Everything is S/C safe except the intake, obviously :)

The Invidia Gemini exhaust isn't silly loud, it has a nice tone and not too much drone on the motorway :thumbs: Although, coupled with HFCs or decats, it'll be a bit louder and a bit of rasp. Check out youtube :)

Mij Performance Custom Exhaust With Decats - Birmingham This is the sound with de-cats. No drone what so ever it's perfect for what I wanted. It's the back box that does all the silencing.

IMG_11871_zps00188471.jpg

Takeda intake - About £200 from Tarmac

Edited by grundy225

Cheers KyleR that's great. I've got around 6k to spend and just looking for a power gain but I don't want the exhaust system to be crazy loud I've had enough of that with a civic type R I had lol.

In the future I'm looking at going down the SC route, the vortech chargers look interesting will the above mods support a SC?

All except the intake will be reusable if going FI. Just be warned, the power gains staying NA will be fairly minimal... probably 30bhp max, but the car will feel much better after a remap.

If I'm just interested in optimising performance and I'm happy with the looks and sound as it is, is it just worth getting the headers, de cats and Y-pipe or would I benefit from the full system?

Mate gains are so minimal from breathing mods o wouldn't even bother sweating about it. Zorst might give you 3-4 bhp extra after a remap and intake will make you loose bhp to heat soal

(Usually).

Remap and plenum spacer are about the most effective

Mate gains are so minimal from breathing mods o wouldn't even bother sweating about it. Zorst might give you 3-4 bhp extra after a remap and intake will make you loose bhp to heat soal

(Usually).

What if your looking to go down the supercharged route would it be worth doing then? Or would the stock system not cause a restriction?

(Usually).

What if your looking to go down the supercharged route would it be worth doing then? Or would the stock system not cause a restriction?

Sorry forgot about that bit......^ what he said!