Painting engine bay bits

chirag1988

Moral of this story Chirag - Before you attempt anything, make sure you're familiar with what's involved. Don't just jump in feet first because you think you know how to do something. It always pays to double check.

Fortunately it's just a simple piece of plastic this time. It's not like you totally f@&£?* up an expensive leather passenger seat or anything..... :blush::teeth:

He did check.. And I steered him right with removing his Driver side .. and he got it out with no issues.

Then he asked if the passenger was the same way? I STUPIDLY said yes exactly.. without going and taking a quick glance at the passenger.. and I TOTALLY forgot you needed to remove at least the lower bolt of the "Oh **** handle".. and really the whole thing as it puts some pressure on the panel.. and this is exactly why his snapped.

I feel bad :(

I have a driver side one to spare.. but my passenger one was in good shape and came off quite easily when I was doing my speaker install a little while back.

But I've had pieces/trim pieces snap on me .. well just one.. Sometimes it happens.. they can get brittle and aren't exactly super strong to begin with. In hindsite I suppose I should have made it clear to remove the door Handle" (just two bolts).. before prying it off. You can blame me if you like. ;)

No no not blaming anyone :) it was an way mistake to make and luckily not an expensive one. I've asked some of the traders on here if they have a spare one going. I guess you learn from your mistakes :)

Yessir.. I responded to your other thread.. and linked you a guide I've personally used.. It's really, really an easy process to take off that handle you are talking about (takes about 2 minutes at most)..

If you bought one from Nissan it would be a solid $60-$90.. But you can definitely get them cheaper as you are already on top of.. especially since you are redoing them.. you are looking for the piece in any condition just solid.

I still feel a little responsibility here as I didn't mention that piece and it's something technically needs to come off.. I totally forgot that the handle's lower bolt would restrict that piece coming off on the passenger side. Though there is a certain level of "pressure "when pulling these things off that I stop myself.. and think, ok something isn't right here. And have to look around more.. often going back to the internet and researching how things come apart a bit more. Then again.. I've broken a trim piece on this car using VERY little force.. it had simply become so brittle for whatever reason that there was no getting that off without some voodoo magic without it shattering in a dozen pieces. I've since fixed that of course.. and I had the forethought to order all the clip types our cars take from Ebay a week before I started my removal of the whole interior during my installs.. -- That was one of the best decisions I made. I replaced SO many clips, even found some that were broken already and/or missing.

Saw those clips at local autoparts stores for $4+ dollars for one! I ordered a whole bag of them for around that price. :)

In the future I'll be sure to at least go take a glance at my own vehicle before throwing out the "ok" on the procedure being the same on an opposite door, as those few seconds would have saved you a bit of a headache.

Really wish I had a spare passenger panel and not just the spare driver panel for you.

Hey dude it's cool :) I've managed to use solvent cement to put it back together and am spraying it with plastidip as we speak. Hopefully as it sets it will cover the cracks! Also even if you did have a spare passenger panel I don't think it would fit my car being a UK right hand drive, but I appreciate the thought :) let's see what the traders on here can come back with too. I'll get some pics up of my DIY job :lol:

Judging from how far you've come with it -- I think using some other filler compound you could definitely get that completely filled in no problems..a nd Once it's ON the car.. I honestly don't think you'd need a new piece.. perhaps you can grab some better plastic bonding agent (someone mentioned something in here) -- and get that piece cosmetically looking perfect (you are 95% the way there now). Put it on.. and it will look all pretty and give you as much time as you need to be patient to find a used replacement panel for cheap.

Are you absolutely SURE , U.S. pass. panels won't fit? I don't see why they wouldn't? Well.. I guess they might be "reverse" hrmm.. If they did fit.. I would literally find one for you and ship it over to you. This is both our faults.. My fault because I didn't give you the crucial step that takes all of 60 seconds to do.. and your fault for prying on it, and it not coming loose easily.. and seeing that grip/handle in the middle of it and not stopping to go back online to take a look at removing that panel lol!

If you are patient.. you can grab a piece like this from someone parting a car, etc.. for like $10-$20 or so.

Brand new.. I got my panel from Courtesy Nissan (which has GOOD prices on Nissan parts) -- for $68. So it's not too terribly bad either way. Again,.. though.. figure out what material you need to grab to get those cracks filled (and you may be able to just continually "build" them with the stuff you have .. I"d OVER build.. let it sit over night.. Then come back and sand it down to match flush with the rest.. But you seem pretty handy and like you know what you are doing restoring these things,.. so I'm sure you've already been doing that.

Moral of this story Chirag - Before you attempt anything, make sure you're familiar with what's involved. Don't just jump in feet first because you think you know how to do something. It always pays to double check.

Fortunately it's just a simple piece of plastic this time. It's not like you totally f@&£?* up an expensive leather passenger seat or anything..... :blush::teeth:

Lesson learned - and I got off easy this time :lol:

Well your leather seats turned out great in the end Ian :) a unique colour to any zed :thumbs:

He did check.. And I steered him right with removing his Driver side .. and he got it out with no issues.

Then he asked if the passenger was the same way? I STUPIDLY said yes exactly.. without going and taking a quick glance at the passenger.. and I TOTALLY forgot you needed to remove at least the lower bolt of the "Oh **** handle".. and really the whole thing as it puts some pressure on the panel.. and this is exactly why his snapped.

I feel bad :(

Don't feel bad dude, I should have thought something wasn't right when it didn't come out easily. I just went in a bit too gung-ho on this occasion. But if you really feel bad feel free to send me some gifts to help cure my Zeditis :lol: (although I'm aware there is no cure)

Looking forward to getting the replacement now and doing it right! :)

I think because your passenger side is on the right, the notch on the passenger switch surround for the handle would be on the opposite side to where I'd need it, so it wouldn't fit :( I've managed to get hold of a spare one from Alex so it should be sorted very soon. Less hassle than filler, etc :)

Having said that I may still go and get some filler use this piece for practice in case something like this happens again!

I think because your passenger side is on the right, the notch on the passenger switch surround for the handle would be on the opposite side to where I'd need it, so it wouldn't fit :( I've managed to get hold of a spare one from Alex so it should be sorted very soon. Less hassle than filler, etc :)

Having said that I may still go and get some filler use this piece for practice in case something like this happens again!

Yup.. This is fact. They are mirror images of each other sort of.. But, no my "side specific" handles wouldn't fit a Right hand drive.

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally got around to prepping the brake fluid cover. Got a few runs on the first attempt but sanded them down with 1200 grit and re-primed and got a nice finish in the end. Gonna take my time and let the cover dry overnight and then tackle the paint another day :)

B6461CC4-E8B9-4A55-8C4A-B09CF26DC971.jpg

F83D0E8C-6D9A-4949-B3ED-D3EC9DF6C609.jpg

Have you fixed/finished the door handle/grip yet? Also looking forward to your Brake/Battery covers.. I'm starting with the dressing of the engine now.. and haven't seen too much "painted" that I like over just the factory black.. aside from Carbon Fiber.. be interested to see what it looks like.

Have you fixed/finished the door handle/grip yet? Also looking forward to your Brake/Battery covers.. I'm starting with the dressing of the engine now.. and haven't seen too much "painted" that I like over just the factory black.. aside from Carbon Fiber.. be interested to see what it looks like.

Not yet lol - R35Lee's sending mine out today so should have that done this weekend too. I'll post up pics as I go along with the dressing of the engine bay. Gonna look to get some orange hoses as well to keep the colour scheme going. How's your berks chromatic?

• Like 1

Not yet lol - R35Lee's sending mine out today so should have that done this weekend too. I'll post up pics as I go along with the dressing of the engine bay. Gonna look to get some orange hoses as well to keep the colour scheme going. How's your berks chromatic?

If you check out the thread (if you want a long read.. or just skip to the page with the youtube vids).. http://www.350z-uk.c...s-arrived/ You will see exactly how it went/is going.

Install was a real nightmare lol. But, all is well now. Super SUPER happy with the end result. Still trying to iron out getting a good sound from my cameras to properly show the difference in non Berk and with Berks.. and trying to show just how good they sound in person.. not easy.

I spent all those days and hours installing this phenomenal stereo system with mids, highs, sub.. amps, etc.. And I don't even turn it on lol.. I'm always listening to my exhaust. Go figure!

I'm getting into the Engine dressing myself - Have two parts arriving tomorrow (fri) -- to start me off.. Some Red Mishimoto Z-tube (Intake tubes).. and A black Mishimoto Air Diverter panel,.. That's a start,.. so my scheme will be Red (with black of course..) my plan is to get the Radiator hoses done next.. then maybe do the bolts/washers with a kit, or maybe make them myself (not sure on that).. some paint work,.. but I'm highly inexperienced with it,.. so looking forward to seeing the outcomes of this stuff.

Edited by Chromatic

Finished the brake fluid cover this afternoon. Gonna lacquer it before bed and let it set overnight.

59D9C5FF-D6CA-4B3A-B17E-936811F38603.jpg

I've primed the battery fluid cover around 5pm. Would I be ok to start painting it later tonight after a few hours or should I leave it overnight?

Finished the brake fluid cover this afternoon. Gonna lacquer it before bed and let it set overnight.

59D9C5FF-D6CA-4B3A-B17E-936811F38603.jpg

I've primed the battery fluid cover around 5pm. Would I be ok to start painting it later tonight after a few hours or should I leave it overnight?

Hmm, not sure I'm a fan of your choice of colour, but each to their own I guess :teeth:

I'd leave it overnight mate. I've spoilt things in the past due to impatience. Leave it and give it a once over with fine wet & dry before applying colour tomorrow. Regarding lacquer, 2 or 3 coats should do it - but again, don't rush it :nono:

• Like 2

Hmm, not sure I'm a fan of your choice of colour, but each to their own I guess :teeth:

I'd leave it overnight mate. I've spoilt things in the past due to impatience. Leave it and give it a once over with fine wet & dry before applying colour tomorrow. Regarding lacquer, 2 or 3 coats should do it - but again, don't rush it :nono:

Will do Ian :thumbs:

I didn't sand after priming for the brake fluid cover - came out ok. But I'll try it with the battery cover to get that smoother finish. Do I need to lightly sand after my final coat of paint too? And lacquer?

I am considering getting a few things painted but feel it may look ridiculous seeming as I have a black zed, not really sure what colour would fit with it?

Most colours would go with black IMO - I've got the alezan seats in mine so I thought I'd continue the black & orange theme...have a look at this thread to get some inspiration :thumbs:

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/79031-engine-bay-shots/

I am considering getting a few things painted but feel it may look ridiculous seeming as I have a black zed, not really sure what colour would fit with it?

Red and black has been done to death so I'd steer clear of that if you can ~ I think purple would go well with the black in the engine bay. B)

Jay-350z's gorgeous purple inspired engine bay.

e9ygeheh.jpg

More inspiration in this thread; http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/81024-i-want-your-bay-pics/

;)

• Like 2