Possible seals missing from underside of boot lid.........

Space Cadet

Please see the attached schematic from Nissan and the items marked 90822M and 90823M in the bottom left-hand.

These are two seals that run parallel down either side of the boot-lid on the underneath and when the boot-lid is closed make a nice seal against the rear quarter-panels.

The seals in the schematic are approx. two-thirds straight and then the last third is bent at an angle. The bent part looks to follow the contour of the underside of the boot-lid and when shut would close down against the rear light cluster.

Now the seals on my car only look to be the two-thirds straight part and don't have the bent third. There are two holes in the boot-lid either side where a seperate trim, or the extended three-thirds trim, may fix into, but why on earth would the previous owner cut the trims off???

Or possibly have the trims been amended for different year cars and mine only came with the two-thirds lenght trim??

Does someone please have a photo of the underside of their 370Z please?

(Mine is a May 2010 car if that makes any difference)

Thanks!!

Edited by Space Cadet

Thanks mate. I've just had a look at Google Images of a couple of other 370Z boot-lids, unsurprisingly there weren't many and they were US cars, and they only had the straight sections, not the 'additional' curved section.

I guess therefore the Nissan schematic is incorrect, or old.

My straight section is fastened to the lid with 8 or so little clips which must fix into holes in the lid. Just above where my straight section finishes there is a little hole in the lid and then another in the lid at the top where the curved section in the schematic would finish.

I therefore assumed I was either missing a piece of trim or for some reason the previous owner had cut them down.

To cut a very long story, I removed the weight in my lid, noticed that one of the trim clips was missing and another was broken. So I obtained a schematic from Nissan to order some new clips and saw that the rubber seals were different to mine.

I then, probably incorrectly, assumed that may be the car has had a knock or been damaged and may be the paint-shop removed the trim braking the clips and for some reason broke the seals so cut them down.

Have probably been watching too much CSI.......

What you describe is what I have on my 2009 model

20140107_115201_zpsaa0e96a5.jpg

As you can see, where it cranks there is a curved end so made like that - same as yours?

Never had any water ingress in the 4 years I have owned the car so I suspect the drawing may have ben taken from original blueprints but it was found the additional length was not necessary :shrug:

A-ha, the plot thickens. Yours has a short curved end, whereas mine and the Photos I found on the internet don’t, but the Nissan schematic shows there being another long slightly curved piece on the end of your curved end (take a look and it will make sense).

Do you have a leak or problems then?

Or just feel you have short-changed on seal lengths?

As you mention you found broken trim clips have you checked to see if there has been any damage repair that might explain why your seals were seemingly reduced in size to just straight pieces?

But as you say, the drawing in the pdf you posted is schematic so I certainly wouldn't be placing any reliance on the accuracy of the drawn parts.

No leaks, just being anal in that if something was missing I'd replace it.

No accident damage at all from what I can see/tell, I possibly broke one of the clips removing the lid trim but one was definitely missing - it may have been from new!?

My straight pieces don’t have the short curved end pieces attached that yours do, possibly they never had, whereas the schematic shows the curved end pieces being much much longer!?

My gut feeling now is that the car simply came like it from new, it’s a slightly later 'model' from your 2009 therefore possibly they simply stopped putting the curved end bits on.

Thanks for your help and the photo.

Edited by Space Cadet

Space Cadet..Maybe this is the problem with your boot and not the below as you poster. :scare: :scare:

As previously mentioned, I took the boot-lid weight out and also popped a couple of washers in each of the spring 'thingys', was driving along without the stereo on at the weekend and it almost sounded like a rear window (I know we don't have any) was open. I can only assume therefore that the weight is to help the boot-lid stay down and make a good seal with the rubber strips against the body-work. I didn't have time to put it back in, but just quickly took the washers out of the spring thingys and it seemed to improve.

So I'm going to replace the weight again and see if adding back the washers to the spring thingys will be enough to pop it open properly, otherwise a set of new spring thingys at £140 (inc. vat) is unfortunately needed.

(I don't want to retro-fit a stronger spring as this will presumably counter-act the weight of replacing the boot weight.)

Nope, wish it did though. Does your 11 plate have the short curved end pieces as per the 09 plate photo above?

no it doesnt, they are just straight pieces but there is a hole in the boot lid for where that piece would have been riveted

Thanks same as mine then.

Problem solved then, for some reason Nissan stopped fitting the small curved end at some point in 2010.

If the schematic is anything to go by then possibly at some point in the past, or possibly very recently, they fitted a much longer piece.

Nope, wish it did though. Does your 11 plate have the short curved end pieces as per the 09 plate photo above?

no it doesnt, they are just straight pieces but there is a hole in the boot lid for where that piece would have been riveted

Thanks same as mine then.

Problem solved then, for some reason Nissan stopped fitting the small curved end at some point in 2010.

If the schematic is anything to go by then possibly at some point in the past, or possibly very recently, they fitted a much longer piece.

no doubt they will be faster with that weight saving

Space Cadet..Maybe this is the problem with your boot and not the below as you poster. :scare: :scare:

As previously mentioned, I took the boot-lid weight out and also popped a couple of washers in each of the spring 'thingys', was driving along without the stereo on at the weekend and it almost sounded like a rear window (I know we don't have any) was open. I can only assume therefore that the weight is to help the boot-lid stay down and make a good seal with the rubber strips against the body-work. I didn't have time to put it back in, but just quickly took the washers out of the spring thingys and it seemed to improve.

So I'm going to replace the weight again and see if adding back the washers to the spring thingys will be enough to pop it open properly, otherwise a set of new spring thingys at £140 (inc. vat) is unfortunately needed.

(I don't want to retro-fit a stronger spring as this will presumably counter-act the weight of replacing the boot weight.)

Of course and that was my thinking. But, as above, all seems to be as it should be with regards the seals. I've ordered some new trim clips and am going to replace the lid weight, replace the missing and broken clips and see how I get on, if need be will add a washer or two to the boot poppers or worst-case purchase some new ones

Of course and that was my thinking. But, as above, all seems to be as it should be with regards the seals. I've ordered some new trim clips and am going to replace the lid weight, replace the missing and broken clips and see how I get on, if need be will add a washer or two to the boot poppers or worst-case purchase some new ones

Hope that solves it for you . :thumbs:

i have just put a washer the thickness of a 1p in mine and they work fine, the poppers are not cheap and can only remedy the situation for a matter of months before they fail again

Thanks, I'll try just adding one washer, to be honest I'd rather the little hassle of opening the boot each time than the 'draft' noise from not having the lid weighed down by the weight.

I like the sound of a reversing camera, I don’t have sat-nav so don’t have a screen though.