Touch up paint for 2008 350z Window Switch area

Chromatic

Hi,

First post here.. but I have a great deal of friends from the UK,.. and thought I'd join your community. Had my 08' 350Z for about 2 weeks or so now, and love it.

I searched, but nothing popped. I know many of you have had this same issue, and have used various methods to resolve it.. so thought I'd get some quick replies before I went and bought something random.

The scratches on the Driver window switch grip/panel. It's the only part of the car that's blemished, and it's bad! Wow.

Well, I was going to just pop it out and do the work to refinish myself, but said what the heck, it's the only piece .. I'll go ahead and order a new one OEM. So spent the $89 or so,.. and have it sitting here.

However, there's a bit of scratching on the piece BELOW the switch panel.. it's not much, .. so I thought I could just touch up that piece without pulling anything else off but the top piece I am replacing.

Thing is, it's not the easiest to get to with any type of spray, so I'm going to need to do it with some sort of paint brush. (Something, I would imagine, like a girls fingernail polish kit/bottle) - but durable and would cover the spots up reasonably enough. I also thought maybe a black sharpie, or a black paint marker/pen.

What have you guys had the best luck with when just touching up black trim pieces like this?

I think I have some photo's of it.. yes, here we go. This is a picture I took from an angle that shows the few scratches below the new piece I am replacing:

11690101876_c659f9e0c3.jpg

Actually edited the photo to be a little more specific :)

11689939974_62d6694649.jpg

Any tips would be most helpful,.. and I realize this is a topic that has probably been rehashed many times over,.. I apologize for my ineptness at using the search function on this forum.. It didn't turn up any results .

Thanks so much,

Edited by Chromatic

Because its a small area and out of view I would just give a couple coats with a black permenant marker, sure that would suffice

Who was the previous owner ... E Scissorhands ?

lol.. Yeah the older models 03-05 didn't have this issue.. then they changed it in newer models and it's very common. Doesn't take much to scratch it up. Looks like freddy crouger drove it.. ;) -- I guess if you wear a ring and maybe a watch it does it in a short period of time..

I guess I'll do what I was thinking and what you guys say.. just get a marker. I'll probably get some sort of paint pen/marker though instead of just a regular sharpie so it'l stay on better.

I also have just a slight nick on the opening above the head unit.. but it looks a mix between dark gray and black.. not sure what color matches it. Maybe a touch with black will blend it "good enough" though.

I just got this car 2'ish weeks ago.. And that panel makes it look like a beater.. but it's really in great shape with 26k miles,.. Here's the car itself:

11415440674_bf7da1019e.jpg

Thanks

Nice Zed Chromatic and Welcome.

Maybe post an intro in here (http://www.350z-uk.c...lcome-messages/) to introduce yourself properly. ;)

Sure thing,.. I meant to do so earlier! :D

Lovely car, gt4 alloys, spacers on the rear ?

Excellent mileage !

Nice eye,.. especially on noticing the spacers at that angle. You are spot on with car.

It's Stock 2008 350Z,.. Spacers, Tint (lol), 2 Drop in K&N's (I think the stock air intake setup is fairly good), Clutch adjustment, Detailed (Hand wash, clay bar (3 hours), Rotary Polish with XMT 3, then XMT 1, Hand wax with NXT 2.0, then topped that off this prev. weekend with a Carnauba Gold Parrafin "wax". (Yes, I'm a detail freak.. I even wax my wheels.. I'm pathetic).

• 4 weeks later...

Oops.. I never posted what I did for this!

Sorry.

I ended up Buying a new piece for that area for about $70'ish.. that's made differently (not white under the "paint"/finish.. so any nicks won't show up ) -- And while I had the old piece off I bought a black paint marker.. and used it to touch up the lower piece that I couldn't justify replacing for a half inch spot of scratches. -- Turned out well.

For reference.. Here's what it DID look like:

11690101876_c659f9e0c3.jpg

and...

Here's how it looks now:

11746624194_a3df190335.jpg

Yeah the picture was at night... but it looks great. Looks brand new (as it is lol) -- but the touch up under it was perfect. Huge cosmetic fix for an otherwise 99 percent perfect interior.

Highly recommend people replace it if you can get the part cheap enough.. just easier imo. But pulling it, sanding, priming, painting, clear coat (maybe not).. and wet-sanding if needed can obviously look just as good.

Edited by Chromatic

• 2 weeks later...

How did you manage to get the switch panel off? There's no screws or bolts holding it in place like with the older models. I need to respray mine too but can't figure out how to get it off and I don't want to end up damaging anything by pulling on random parts

How did you manage to get the switch panel off? There's no screws or bolts holding it in place like with the older models. I need to respray mine too but can't figure out how to get it off and I don't want to end up damaging anything by pulling on random parts

Sure.. I take it you have an 06-08 model? Because they are different .

With the 07-08 models (and I THINK) the 06 model as well..

You get a flat head screw driver (or panel tools if you have them) (most don't).. and start prying.. Here I will draw a diagram for you: (Click to enlarge)

12421257715_c6eec2ecb7.jpg

Ok, IF your car is 2006-2008 this is the way..

You start at spot number one.. Be gentle, but give it enough force to pop that end up a little .. Then start working your way down the side at 2, 3, and 4 -- And you might have it off before step/location 5.. but if not.. work at that end and you'll get it out without damaging it.

Now you have, IIRC, two plugs attached to it.. there is enough slack in those plugs to pull up on that top panel you just pulled out and use a flat head screw driver to pop the electric plugs out of the sockets (or use your fingers.. whatever works best for you.. not hard at all.)

Then the installation is reverse of removal. It's VERY, VERY simple and fast. Took me about 4-5 minutes to remove and put new panel in.. But no rush.. Thing is.. if you are replacing the old.. you can be a little more confident when prying the old one off cause it you snap it , etc.. It doesn't really matter.. cause a new one is going in. But still try not to.. because it has SOME value.. esp. if you refinish it and then put it up for sale.

Putting the new panel back on is just putting the switch plugs back in.. then putting #5 area in first and then sides and then back.. I didn't put them in tight at first.. just got them set up right.. Then, I moderately pressed until it clicked. It literally just clicks into place.

IF you are in a 2003-2005 model.. it's SIMILAR, but you have a screw to unscrew -- It will be IN the handle and be under this little guy:

350z_window_door_panel1.jpg

With our 2006-2008's there's no bottom to that handle, and no screw.. so it just pops off. I know that sounds odd at first, but it's the way it is!

Hope that helps.

Edited by Chromatic

Thanks a lot Chromatic! Yeah I've got the 2008 model so the first method is the one I was looking for. I'm not going to be replacing it, I'm going to sand it down and plastidip it and then put it back :)

Is it also the same with the passenger side too?

Yes the passenger is the same procedure -- It has less electrical plugs attached due to switches.. but otherwise it prys off gently (but firmly) like the Driver.

Chromatic I'm in a bit of a pickle - the passenger side has snapped when trying to take it off! It was tucked deep into the silver handle. Is there a way of removing the handle first at all?

I've got pics up on this thread

http://www.350z-uk.c...ts/page__st__20

Sure the interior 'grip" or (oh *** handle) on the door must come off if you are removing your door panel (which you aren't). But.. here's a good write up on removing the door panel with pictures.. just follow the first few steps to remove that.. should give you a good idea of what you are working with.

http://my350z.com/forum/audio-video-and-electronics-diy/407151-2008-door-panel-removal-front-speaker-install.html

Nothing should "snap" though.. :( -- The switch cover will make popping noises as it comes out of the clips/slots.. but nothing should break.

Let me know if you need any more help with it.