Newbie looking for my first 350z

Nice,I had a newage blobeye and done a fair bit to it,made 358bhp and 345lb/ft on the rollers.

So a standard Z might not feel as quick!

I do like the classics too,In fact I've got an old impreza sport sat in my garage I need to sell! Lol

Where you on Scoobynet then? I was some year's ago now (same name as on here).

Did love my classic Impreza whilst I had it but it destroyed it's engine twice, gearbox twice, centre diff, rear diff and countless other parts. :rant:

It was running high boost but think I just had bad luck with a lot of it tbh. The engine's big end went a month after I bought it in standard guise due to oil starvation after the oil pump failed. Decided to keep it & forked out over 4.5K on a full engine rebuild with lot's of uprated part's.

The engine went really well for awhile, although other parts like the gearbox etc didn't, until one evening whilst on a gentle drive (not under heavy load or high boost) the engine decided to destroy itself again & throw a con-rod right through the side of block. :angry:

That was the end of that as I decided I'd had enough of the WRX and moved on to a Civic Type R & now the 350Z. Much happier now. ;)

All the things you mentioned are the exact reasons Ive left subaru,owned my impreza about 18months and it was in the workshop more than on the road(albeit a lot was upgrades lol) nothing but problems really.issue after issue and like yours my gearbox went and that was the end,just sold it there and then,couldn't be bothered anymore.Shame because I threw so much cash at it and was looking great when I sold it,but time to move on I suppose.

Yeah I'm on scoobynet same name as on here too!

To many assholes on there now,another little reason to give up on Subaru.

Seems so far the Z community is much nicer :-)

All the things you mentioned are the exact reasons Ive left subaru,owned my impreza about 18months and it was in the workshop more than on the road(albeit a lot was upgrades lol) nothing but problems really.issue after issue and like yours my gearbox went and that was the end,just sold it there and then,couldn't be bothered anymore.Shame because I threw so much cash at it and was looking great when I sold it,but time to move on I suppose.

Yeah I'm on scoobynet same name as on here too!

To many assholes on there now,another little reason to give up on Subaru.

Seems so far the Z community is much nicer :-)

Definitely agree with you about Scoobynet. I was on CTRO also and tbh that is exactly the same way.

You know the types; trolls, people slating new comers just because they ask questions, oh and every female member being scared off by sex starved idiots. :angry:

This is the best online forum I have been a member of so far and it's a credit to it's members/moderators/designers and the traders on it. :thumbs:

I'm looking at Imprezas at the moment, that is stunning imo I thought Subaru were known for good reliability with bulletproof engines :wacko:

If you leave them standard and they have been serviced correctly over the years then yes they can be good reliable car's.

Problems arise with them being abused (just like a lot of high performance car's that are depreciating in value), not serviced correctly and once people start trying to get higher performance. Also import car's with little or no service history can cause major headaches imo.

If your really trying to get an Impreza Leosille my advice would be to try & get the best UK standard unmodified example you can find with full service history.

Although my own personal experiences with Subaru and the people I've known that have owned them would tell me to avoid the chocolate engined money pit's. :lol:

Is the 2.5 plant more reliable than the boxer engine do you know? Quite surprised what money they're still going for to be honest.

I don't know sorry. Been out of the Subaru seen for about 4 years now.

I was in to classic Impreza's which use the EJ20T boxer engine.

Have you joined Scoobynet yet or a similar Subaru based site? Probably a good idea if you're seriously considering them. ;)

Hi leosille,an impreza can be good engine wise if treated right from the start,regular good oil changes,warmed up cooled down.

And not abused past the limit,people's first mistake is often "oh it's an impreza they can take all the stick in the world"

They can take a hammering but still far from bulletproof!

If you are looking for an impreza then they come in a million shapes and forms.

The ej20 engine (93-05 models) came in loads of forms of internals.in all cases the Sti blocks are stronger and the best being the 01-05 Sti block as these have hypereutectic forged internals as standard and can take upto almost 500bhp out the box,it's the engine I put in mine.

There is a million and one mods to do to an impreza and parts are cheap and two a penny and so easy to come by.

Price wise I sold mine for £6.5k and it actually cost me about 13k to build.

The best impreza IMO is the Sti 03-05 widetrack blobeye.they go for about 8k for a great example,the one to get for sure.

Leave the 2.5 (ej25 on all models 05 onwards) alone for sure unless you want a 5k forged engine straight away,there's not many which haven't gone bang at all,here's the thread on scoobynet about how dreadful they are standard, but once forged a good engine and can easily make 400+ lb/ft of torque with just a simple remap.

http://bbs.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/828990-2008-2010-2-5ltr-engine-failures.html

Sorry for an essay but any info you need on an impreza just ask :-) lol

just seen your post on scoobynet :)

if you want a scooby to wipe out m3's etc a newage sti widetrack with about 450bhp is needed.

a few bolt on mods will see you that

sc42 turbo

800cc injectors

induction kit

exhaust manifold/ up pipe

full 3" decat

frount mount intercooler

then a map by jgm at surrey rolling road :teeth:

• Like 1

Thanks for all the information jake very kind of you to enlighten me. What you have mentioned seems to be where I'm looking at the widetrack STI. I've seen an 03 for sale absolutely standard but need to sell my motor don't want to keep reducing it looks like it maybe time to advertise elsewhere.

No worries at all,shame I already sold mine as maybe could of struck a deal! Lol

An 03 is more than likely not a widetrack as they came out very late,so do you research and get a good one,I see I'm fairly local to you I think so if you ever need a second pair of eyes I love nosing at nice cars :-) haha