Boot not releasing properly.....

Space Cadet

I'm sure I read a similar thread but cant find it. My boot doesn't release fully when I press the little button by the number plate, it unlocks but unless I pull the boot up at the same time it doesn't release properly. Is there a fix for this, or is it just something they all do? Thanks.

Edited by Space Cadet

Probably the most likely cause of your problem is the boot popper assist spring as these weaken over time/use meaning after you press the boot release button it doesn't lift high enough to clear the lock & you have to press it again. See this thread for a nice guy who can help you out; http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/78643-boot-popperassist-springs-reconditioning/ :thumbs:

Thanks!!

Have you got an after market spoiler on the Zed, if so then you will need the stronger

Boot Poppers from Pete, if not you may just get away with removing the boot weight

which is a ten mins job., just do a search on here for the thread on removing the boot weight. Good Luck.. :thumbs:

Thanks, nope just the standard spoiler, the car is 3.5 years old though so the popper springs may be tired. Will have a look at removing the boot weight though.

What's the boot weight for then if its not necessary??

I'm guessing it was necessary originally when the gas strut's where new in order to make it easier to close the boot. After years of use though the gas struts do weaken so not really as necessary for the boot weight anymore.

Some info in this thread on the various fixes; http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/3162-faq-my-boot-hatch-will-not-stay-up-what-should-i-do/ :thumbs:

Thanks, nope just the standard spoiler, the car is 3.5 years old though so the popper springs may be tired. Will have a look at removing the boot weight though.

Have a look here.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/65248-how-to-weight-reduction-fix-boot-pop-up/

Have a look here.

http://www.350z-uk.c...ix-boot-pop-up/

That's what I was looking for. :lol: Found the 350Z one though. :blush:

Can't believe the penny trick didnt make an appearance until the 12th post!

:lol:

Has anyone warned him though that the penny trick can cause damage?! :surrender:

@Space Cadet ~ if you do try the penny trick be warned that it could cause damage to your nice body work.

I'd just get the new stronger springs from Pete if I was you and removing the weight doesn't help. ;) .

The weight removal mod worked a trick, the boot now pops up a few cm's and stays up!!

I also put a couple of metal washers in the poppers, which seems to make thinks a bit 'firmer', not sure what all the worry about damaging the paint is as there already is a solid rubber washer and also a rubber male 'button' that fits into the rubber female housing to protect the paintwork from the spring, i.e. two layers of rubber, so I simply put the metal washers between the springs and the rubber washers/buttons.

Edited by Space Cadet

The weight removal mod worked a trick, the boot now pops up a few cm's and stays up!!

I also put a couple of metal washers in the poppers, which seems to make thinks a bit 'firmer', not sure what all the worry about damaging the paint is as there already is a solid rubber washer and also a rubber male 'button' that fits into the rubber female housing to protect the paintwork from the spring, i.e. two layers of rubber, so I simply put the metal washers between the springs and the rubber washers/buttons.

There you go Space Cadet, told you it would work. :thumbs:

As previously mentioned, I took the boot-lid weight out and also popped a couple of washers in each of the spring 'thingys', was driving along without the stereo on at the weekend and it almost sounded like a rear window (I know we don't have any) was open. I can only assume therefore that the weight is to help the boot-lid stay down and make a good seal with the rubber strips against the body-work. I didn't have time to put it back in, but just quickly took the washers out of the spring thingys and it seemed to improve.

So I'm going to replace the weight again and see if adding back the washers to the spring thingys will be enough to pop it open properly, otherwise a set of new spring thingys at £140 (inc. vat) is unfortunately needed.

(I don't want to retro-fit a stronger spring as this will presumably counter-act the weight of replacing the boot weight.)

Don't know why you have a draft, the boot weight has nothing to do with the boot sealing properly.

Check you have replaced the boot poppers properly and nothing is jammed in it.

What are you replacing that costs £140 ..? :scare:

If you want to replace them with new ones at £140 I wouldn't bother, get a set of uprated ones from Pete for £15, then you wont

need the washers and you can leave out the boot weight. (my boot weight is out and no draft)

Are you sure the draft is from the boot and not a side window slightly opened...!! :surrender: :scare:

Perhaps I should've said the sound (or draft as you've put it) stopped, rather than seemed to improve, when I took the washers out of the spring poppers.

On the basis that the boot lid is certainly not too hard to pull down without the weight, as someone suggested, I can only assume that the weight is there to counter-balance the strength of the boot lid struts and keep it sealed down against the boot.

Its got to be one of the two and as mentioned I don’t believe its because of being too hard to pull the lid down without the weight.

I've already said I don’t want to retro-fit some uprated springs as I think this will counter-act replacing the weight to keep the boot shut.

The £140 is for two new spring poppers (!!!) a huge amount I know, but on the basis the lid weight is definitely needed and the standard spring poppers having lost some of their strenght and just wanting to replace the springs new for old, rather than uprating them, it’s the only option.

As mentioned, what I will do first is simply replace the washers and see with the weight replaced whether they enable the boot to pop open.