Keeping OEM backbox and changing mid section.....

nowhereboy

you'll be lucky to gain any bhp with any exhaust... but speak to 14N, pretty sure he replaced just the mid pipe with a straight 3" pipe, didnt really make a lot of difference if i remember correctly.

save your money and get a y pipe back exhaust :thumbs:

Cheers Brillo. Yeah, I did this, although I didn't have an OEM back box, mine was the Japspeed K2 (so very similar in design), it didn't make the difference I was after. The OEM mid-pipe is 2.25 inch in diameter and I replaced it with a 3 inch diameter straight through pipe (no mid-section silencer). It DID give a nicer, deeper sound, but if you want more volume (i.e. an exhaust that turns heads as you're approaching), it's not worth trying to acheive it this way. Put the money towards something else (I bought a K1 shortly after trying my mid-pipe experiment).

The actual volume/sound is governed a lot by the construction and design of the back box. As the OEM back box (and K2) is a cambered design, the 'sound' has to face a lot of obstruction before it reaches daylight. A performance back box (such as the Cobra), is less restrictive, allowing the gases and sound to travel more freely.

Edited by 14N

Is removing the silencer a job for a garage? I'm not great with doing any work myself.

Does it need another pipe in its place or is it as simple as removing it?

I'm useless when it comes to this stuff.

I think you're best off getting a garage or exhaust place to do this for you as you'll need to doing some good welding otherwise it will blow and rust in no time as well especially if it's not stainless steel.

You need a bit of pipe the same diameter as the rest if the mid section, once the box is cut out this will be welded in its place.

^^ What he said also. :thumbs:

• Like 1